Chief Chicasaw Oil. Has anyone here ever tried it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, just WoW. To bad they don't sell that oil here. Any oil in a bottle like that has to be unique, and think of all the uses for the empty bottle.

I've got Chickasaw in the blower of the L67, and 5L ready to go in some oil change or another down the track.
10W30 semi synth in my mower and generator.
Their 75W90 in the Tx Case of the Nissan, and Diff in the Caprice.
Their multi ATF in the P/S on both, and the tranny of the Caprice.

I've also got 6 hats and a mug...they are cool hats, and "The sign of a leader" on the mug is a laugh in section meetings.

Who says that advertising doesn't work.

Originally Posted By: Moondawg
Wow, just WoW. Any oil in a bottle like that has to be unique, and think of all the uses for the empty bottle.

I know !!! They have great 5L Drums, and those 1L canteens always catch my eye.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

I've also got 6 hats and a mug...they are cool hats, and "The sign of a leader" on the mug is a laugh in section meetings.

Who says that advertising doesn't work.

Laugh !! You just need one more hat, then you have one for everyday of the week.

Their marketing caught my eye, the Chief's Head symbol, the unique black containers. But then I saw their prices. The Cherokee Semi-Synthetic (API SM/CF, ACEA A3/B3/B4, VW505) costs a little less than Castrol GTX mineral oil, and a lot less than the Castrol Magnatec or Valvoline Engine Armour semi-synthetic.

Hmmmm…..more oil sent to tempt me.

I got Day 7's hat at the Cars area in Disneyland, "The OilPan".

If not carrying official certifications means that they make a superior oil, not hamstrung by the API, then Chief really IS a bargain...and they don't make anything over 20W50, which also adds to their (Australian) credibility.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

.and they don't make anything over 20W50, which also adds to their (Australian) credibility.

Or anything under 5W30, which also adds to their (Australian) credibility. At least for me it does.

A nice selection of weights: 5w30, 10w30, 5w40, 10w40, 15w40, 20w50

In mineral, semi-synthetic and full synthetic. Not every combination of weights and bases obviously, but a good honest selection that will do most people, and at a good price.

Great bottle. I'd use it if the specs look OK, if its inexpensive enough, but the question is why? The answer to that is sometimes, just because.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
Chicasaw Indians were a fierce tribe that lived in the Belgium mountains around the now dormant volcano.

Yup! Their neighboring tribe were the Fugowies. These were 3 foot tall indians who always wandered around in 6 foot tall grass and got their name from constantly being heard mumbling "where the fugowie"

Originally Posted By: kenv
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
Chicasaw Indians were a fierce tribe that lived in the Belgium mountains around the now dormant volcano.

Yup! Their neighboring tribe were the Fugowies. These were 3 foot tall indians who always wandered around in 6 foot tall grass and got their name from constantly being heard mumbling "where the fugowie"

LOL !!

For those interested here is another thread where the Chief Oils, house brand for SCA, and Repco Oils are discussed.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3297889/1

More for Aussies and Kiwis out there.

Originally Posted By: MikeHigg
Great bottle. I'd use it if the specs look OK, if its inexpensive enough, but the question is why? The answer to that is sometimes, just because.

Yep, I'm thinking of getting some……just because.

I have worked out all the tribes:
Chicasaw = Synthetic
Cherokee = Semi-synthetic
Cheyenne = Mineral
Seneca = HDEO
Muscogee = 2 Stroke
Chocatan = Monograde
Tanoa = Gear oil
Mohican = ATF

I need some 2 stroke oil for the mower, so time to pick up a 1L canteen of Chief Muscogee. More for the container than anything else. I'm sure my second hand mower will survive. It's at a very good price.

All the Chief oils meet good specification levels, but I don't think they are officially certified. I think this is where the savings come in. I'm happy to give it a crack. The SCA retail chain in Australia is very big, with a lot to lose if this is their "house" brand and it's not up to scratch. I don't think some Aussies care is the rating is official or not, if they do, then there is also Castrol/Valvoline/Penrite/Shell on the shelf at SCA.

Originally Posted By: SR5
I don't think some Aussies care is the rating is official or not, if they do, then there is also Castrol/Valvoline/Penrite/Shell on the shelf at SCA.

I'm quite happy to use "meets or exceeds the following spec" oils which are not certified, even during the warranty period.

I'm thinking of trying Chief oil my wife's Yaris as it is highly uncomplicated and you could use just about anything in there. However, in my Ssangyong I'd need Chicasaw TDX 5W-40, or better still Chicasaw WRX 5W-30, which is not much cheaper than I could buy some more interesting stuff for. In fact, I'd rather spend a bit more and buy something with a reputation (whether deserved or not) for better lubricity, containing either a lot of ZDDP (for the Yaris) or Moly (for the Ssangyong). Yaris currently running Royal Purple. Yes, total overkill, but at least the engine will last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back