Chief Chicasaw Oil. Has anyone here ever tried it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just down at my local parts place and noticed that they've started stocking this new brand. This silly looking stuff is all over their shelves now: "Chief Chicasaw Oil". Wow, I'd never even heard of this stuff before today.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-...rom=60104#Cross

I found the company's web site here: http://www.chief-oil.com/chicasaw-wrx.html
The first thing that caught my eye was that they list a bunch of specifications with an asterisk that says: "*Approvals not requested"

Alright, so that's $17 per liter for a brand I've never heard of and that carries no official industry approvals. Somehow I don't think I'll be trying it any time soon!

Last edited:
Have wandered through SCA wondering what this new stuff was...using Indian logos, made in Belgium ?

Originally Posted By: bvance554
You have to admit that is a cool looking bottle.

Yeah it certainly stands out. That's how it caught my attention.

Funny thing is, I wasn't really looking for oil today so I just kind of noticed it in the corner of my eye so to speak. And at first I thought it said Chief *chainsaw* oil LOL.
smile.gif
I'm thinking what the heck is chainsaw lub doing in the motor oil section.
shocked.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supercity
I brought this up the other day

Arh sorry supercity, I didn't see that thread before. Looks like no one here has ever used this oil?

Last edited:
I am thinking it "meets" the listed oil requirements but they have not paid for the actual testing/certification. Thats the same kind of statement Amsoil makes. I will admit its worded a bit oddly.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I am thinking it "meets" the listed oil requirements but they have not paid for the actual testing/certification. Thats the same kind of statement Amsoil makes. I will admit its worded a bit oddly.

are amsoil oils not certified?

Originally Posted By: edwardh1

are amsoil oils not certified?

Here we go again with this [censored]..

OE & XL lines are API SN certified..

The Signature Series is not but that's ONLY due to the way they only use 1 source for base stock at a time. If that supplier were to run low, and they need to change supplier, they'd have to get recertified. To expensive..

I am thinking it "meets" the listed oil requirements but they have not paid for the actual testing/certification.

Yeah I think this is true for a lot of outfits, and particularly difficult for smaller blenders. Though even larger ones like Castrol and Valvoline often have a lot more "specifications" than actual approvals.

I'm just a bit leery about trusting this in a brand that I've never heard of before, especially at that price point.
smile.gif

Last edited:
near the volcano
-----
off topic possibly
why has not amsoil got the certification done. seems with all the oil they sell, over time they could have saved up and bought / paid for a certification?

so many of the off brand oils sold in gas stations say they are certified- are they really some other oil that IS certified but left over and sold as a different brand?

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
near the volcano
-----
off topic possibly
why has not amsoil got the certification done. seems with all the oil they sell, over time they could have saved up and bought / paid for a certification?

so many of the off brand oils sold in gas stations say they are certified- are they really some other oil that IS certified but left over and sold as a different brand?

Because if they had to change suppliers for base stock PAO, they'd have to get recertified everytime. It'd take to long each time, and would cause a shortage of SS..

Those "off-brands" that are API certified are just repackaged other oils..

As said before, Amsoil's OE & XL lines of oil are API certified..

Originally Posted By: Flareside302
The Signature Series is not but that's ONLY due to the way they only use 1 source for base stock at a time. If that supplier were to run low, and they need to change supplier, they'd have to get recertified. To expensive..

The certs allow interchange of basestocks...if you want to be your own blender, you can buy an additive pack, precertified against a number of basestock variances...how do they manage change with their certified line ?

Originally Posted By: Garak
Note their WRX 5w-30. It claims A3/B4 (along with many, many other specifications), yet has a TBN of 5.2 and SA of 0.6%. I don't think so.

Everyone who was claiming that their oil was manufactured to that thin line that separated C3 and A3/B4 has pulled their head in lately, and has to state one side or the other (then add in brackets that it would be "suitable" for the other, not meets (or exceeds))

Yep, and they seem pretty far away from anything in A3/B4, aside from the HTHS, but that's not exactly difficult to meet. Any 30 year old jug of SAE 40 would meet the HTHS requirement.

Well, it does say it is for VW 504 and 507, and those oils require an extremely low ash content.

That in mind, I would use something that got actual certification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back