Chicago Violence And DUI's...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
eddie, have u been sober for 13 years? You know these people lecturing me do not help me.
When you're sick and tired of being sick and tired you'll wise up...if you don't kill yourself or someone else first.

More about the OP from another thread:

Anyone else sick and tired of those red light camera??!!! It seem Chicago has them at 30% of all the intersections. It's a $100 ticket and if you don't pay doubles. I find it an invasion of privacy. It's also shown that these Red Light cameras INCREASE rear end collisions. I'm a pretty safe driver (exception for a couple of DUI's) and average about one Red Light ticket per year.

It is a privacy issue when my wife opens up the ticket and finds out the location I was at.

Last edited:
I have not been on this Forum for a while: how did such an obviously "political topic" ever get by the thought police?

I'm not complaining, BTW. It's about time that some rational thought is allowed, especially about those innocent "urban kids" MURDERING EACH OTHER!

Garak, I don't give a rats tail about what society deems "safe driving". When I fell off the fork lift at work I was rushed to the hospital with a BAC of .28. Thankfully, the union kept me gainfully employed. My thread was about how bad inner city crime is in my great city of Chicago. Which no one has acknowledged.

querty, people are taking time to give you life-saving advice but you're not listening. The Good Lord gave you two ears, but only one mouth. Think about this.

Yes, Chicago has terrible problems with violence. Acknowledged. But you can't solve it and neither can anyone else here. Societal violence is not something you should be concerned with now, not when you need to be fighting for sobriety with everything you've got.

You have a progressive, fatal disease called alcoholism. Left unchecked, it will destroy your relationships, the lives of innocent people and ultimately kill you. Is that what you want?

You're still rationalizing your drinking, trying to find a way to be in recovery without really having to change your relationship to alcohol. That won't work.

Your addicted brain is playing tricks on you, distracting you from what you need to be focusing on. Every minute you spend on an oil forum arguing about drunk driving laws and Chicago violence is a minute spent avoiding recovery. Any distraction you allow yourself is really your addiction trying to make you slip, and deep down you know it.

Go to as many meetings as you possibly can- once a day, twice a day! and really listen. Work your steps with an honest heart and listen to your sponsor. Unless you want to die and take innocent people down with you, do not allow any distractions from your recovery program for at least one year.

If you're going to be on a forum, make it an AA support forum.

Garak, I don't give a rats tail about what society deems "safe driving".

Then, why did you bring it up in the first place? You suggested that 0.15 would be a better limit.

My thread was about how bad inner city crime is in my great city of Chicago. Which no one has acknowledged.

I did. In the spirit of justification, I acknowledged that it's not a drop in the bucket in comparison to road deaths.

Incidentally, when someone doesn't agree with your opinion, why is it that you prefer to point out some gap of understanding or a reason behind some gap of understanding, such as a cultural issue?

Roads and vehicles have gotten much safer over the decades, but there is still a couple sore spots remaining, notably impaired driving and seatbelt usage. Road deaths still outstrip murders. You can't avoid that one.

I know what I can do about impaired driving. I don't drink a drop any longer, so when I'm behind the wheel, I will always be sober. I can also say what I think about impaired driving to someone who has had an issue with it in the past, such as yourself. Now, what I can do about the inner city violence in Chicago is extremely limited. Unless a gang banger in Chicago happens to be a poster here and I happen to know about his activities, I can't even ask him to stop, now can I?

If you want a blunt answer about your very first question, impaired driving is relatively easy to attack. We cannot deny the number of road deaths. MADD et al get all revved up. The solution is a bunch of impaired driving enforcement and legislative changes. It's very easy. Fewer drunk drivers on the road means fewer drunk driving deaths.

Tackling gang violence and inner city drug trafficking is not so straightforward. In fact, look at your claims. MADD et al push and get stronger impaired driving legislation passed. Okay. Murder and drug trafficking are already heavily, heavily penalized in your jurisdiction. What else would you like?

Originally Posted By: shiny
Garak, I don't give a rats tail about what society deems "safe driving". When I fell off the fork lift at work I was rushed to the hospital with a BAC of .28. Thankfully, the union kept me gainfully employed. My thread was about how bad inner city crime is in my great city of Chicago. Which no one has acknowledged.

querty, people are taking time to give you life-saving advice but you're not listening. The Good Lord gave you two ears, but only one mouth. Think about this.

Yes, Chicago has terrible problems with violence. Acknowledged. But you can't solve it and neither can anyone else here. Societal violence is not something you should be concerned with now, not when you need to be fighting for sobriety with everything you've got.

You have a progressive, fatal disease called alcoholism. Left unchecked, it will destroy your relationships, the lives of innocent people and ultimately kill you. Is that what you want?

You're still rationalizing your drinking, trying to find a way to be in recovery without really having to change your relationship to alcohol. That won't work.

Your addicted brain is playing tricks on you, distracting you from what you need to be focusing on. Every minute you spend on an oil forum arguing about drunk driving laws and Chicago violence is a minute spent avoiding recovery. Any distraction you allow yourself is really your addiction trying to make you slip, and deep down you know it.

Go to as many meetings as you possibly can- once a day, twice a day! and really listen. Work your steps with an honest heart and listen to your sponsor. Unless you want to die and take innocent people down with you, do not allow any distractions from your recovery program for at least one year.

If you're going to be on a forum, make it an AA support forum.

We can wrap this thread up right there.

Qwerty, there are apparently 5,000 AA meetings in the Chicago area. Talking about this at a meeting, where everyone understands where you're coming from, will be much more constructive than getting into it again here, where reactions tend to swing toward contempt for your behavior.

Best of luck.

https://www.chicagoaa.org/

I apologize if I offended anyone who read my last post.I'm a drunk who is trying to sober up and was not "baiting" anyone. Thank you for those that posted the AA website. I realize that DUI is a crime that is horrible. And I apologize to those who lost loved ones. I got quite a lashing and maybe it was deserved. However, last Friday-Monday, there was 8 people killed and 45 shot in the city of Chicago. Organizations like MADD get laws passed every year "cracking down on drunk driving". Where is the outcry for urban kids getting murdered? Why don't urban area mothers get a voice? Many of you have no idea what it is to live in a "open air drug market" or gang violence.

Everyone I care about in the city I live in uses the roads. You made the decision to drive when you knew you were intoxicated. I don't know why you made that decision, if you were too lazy or cheap to pay for a taxi or take the bus but having made that decision you are a criminal just like the murderers and drug dealers you mention. I don't know about where you live but here in Canada the number of people killed by impaired drivers is higher than those murdered.

And before you try and use the excuse "I didn't know how drunk I was, I thought I'd be okay" at 0.08 blood alcohol you know your drunk.

I apologize if I offended anyone who read my last post.I'm a drunk who is trying to sober up and was not "baiting" anyone. Thank you for those that posted the AA website. I realize that DUI is a crime that is horrible. And I apologize to those who lost loved ones. I got quite a lashing and maybe it was deserved. However, last Friday-Monday, there was 8 people killed and 45 shot in the city of Chicago. Organizations like MADD get laws passed every year "cracking down on drunk driving". Where is the outcry for urban kids getting murdered? Why don't urban area mothers get a voice? Many of you have no idea what it is to live in a "open air drug market" or gang violence.

Alcohol has been demonized for a long time and peaked with the prohibition era. So there is along history of puritanic approach to it.

On the other hand, racism and the resulting social ills are perfectly acceptable norms in this country.

qwerty, why don't you just move out of that cesspool? Nobody is chaining you to your home. Millions upon millions of people left their homes, across oceans with pennies in their pocket. My grandfather grew up poor in war torn Germany so he came to America to work as a machinist and ate thrown out food out of dumpsters. He retired after raising a wonderful family and owning his own home. Do what you need to do to better your life if need be. That also includes getting sober. Sometimes you just gotta man up. Blaming your alcoholism on your surroundings is a cop out and until you admit it you will continue down your path...unless dying in a ghetto from alcoholism is what you're aspiring to.

Last edited:
bandito, any sudden loss of life is terrible. Thank the Lord I never hurt anyone. I'm back "on the wagon", hopefully, for good. Thanks to the two posters in this thread talking about being sober. Meanwhile, in Chicago, the last two weekends have had over 100 people shot and 11 dead. I'm just glad Fall is here and the cold weather should slow this crime down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back