chicago to GA:(Jan'17) winter tires or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

would like to drive CHI to ATL end of month/beginning of new year.

would this be OK with the cooper RS3-A or should i go/spring for winter tires?

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Can you monitor the weather and pick a specific day to make the trip?

This. Pick your day of travel based on weather.

I wouldn't buy snow tires just for a road trip. Since you live in Chicago, I assume you have gotten by safely on your existing tires, so I would just keep doing what you've been doing. If you are due for tires and looking for an excuse to get a set for Chicago, can't fault you for that!

So you live in Chicago and do not have winter tires, but you are worried driving SOUTH of Chicago without them?
Most of accidents (deadly ones too) happen in the city, so I would rethink priorities here.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
So you live in Chicago and do not have winter tires, but you are worried driving SOUTH of Chicago without them?
Most of accidents (deadly ones too) happen in the city, so I would rethink priorities here.

i'm asking about winter tires because last year, when the cooper rs3-a where new (about 700 miles), we passed trough the TN mountains (i know, i know, not CO mountains) in 1" brand new snow, and never slide one bit in the curves.
opposite lanes: 2 semis overturned.....
i'm still checking the weather on the route to see what may be facing.

(nothing wrong with being worried with your most precious load in the back.... :) )

Originally Posted By: pandus13

i'm asking about winter tires because last year, when the cooper rs3-a where new (about 700 miles), we passed trough the TN mountains (i know, i know, not CO mountains) in 1" brand new snow, and never slide one bit in the curves.
opposite lanes: 2 semis overturned.....
i'm still checking the weather on the route to see what may be facing.

(nothing wrong with being worried with your most precious load in the back.... :) )

Again, even worse, you have kids in the back, driving in Chicago and like to travel. There is nothing to think about, get winter tires.
I know TN very well, I lived in AL for 7 years and drove a lot in TN in all conditions. The black ice there can be worse then in CO where there is abundance of snow plows. I would get Michelin X-ce tires since they do not wear fast, thy are good in ice, packed snow.

Originally Posted By: fxrider
I would go buy NEW winter tires and be safe. its only money..

Exactly!

+2

And it'll put an end to your worries and you'll be able to sleep better at night.

how are :
Blizzak WS80
Blizzak WS70
Continental ExtremeWinterContact
?

also mazda5 comes stock with 205/50/17 (tires) and 17" wheels in 5x114.3 pattern.

what else can i fit safely? wheels size and patterns (Please stop me if me say stupid things!)

(mazda forums says 215/50/17 on 17" wheels or 205/50/16 or 16" wheels)

how are :
Blizzak WS80
Blizzak WS70
?

also mazda5 comes stock with 205/50/17 (tires) and 17" wheels in 5x114.3 pattern.

what else can i fit safely? wheels size and patterns (Please stop me if me say stupid things!)

I'd stay with the 205/50-17 that came stock on your car - not a good idea to go wider (215/50-17) for a winter tire.

The Blizzak WS80 is a great winter tire, but in light of your planned long highway trip you might also want to consider the Pirelli Winter Sottozero3: Winter Sottozero3 on Tirerack

HTH

Last edited:

According to TireRack, the recommended sizes are either 205/50/17 or 205/55/16.

Personally, I'd opt for 205/55/16 - It's a more popular size. You'll get a better tire selection in that size, plus you'll have some more sidewall to cushion you from poor winter roads and potholes. The downside is you'll have to purchase a new set of rims since they won't fit on your stock 17" rims obviously.

how are :
Blizzak WS80
Blizzak WS70
?

Although I a not fan of Michelin Xi3, I would get them. Reason is that they are really good in ice and they do not wear out as fast. You are going to warm area of the country. Xi3 will behave better on dry roads then Blizzak and will take less beating if temperatures go up to 60-70 degrees.

I've done the reverse trip many times including in a rear wheel drive truck with marginal all-seasons. Chicago to Atlanta is all interstate and in absence of some weather event that people are advised to stay off the roads the interstate will be clear...

Weather here is particularly crazy this year though - it was almost 70 yesterday and supposed to be 35 tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back