Chevy Volt or ??

I am looking for a car for a relative. It will be replacing a Focus hatchback. The Chevy Volt looks good, but are there any other good alternatives in the preferably sub 20k price range? Vehicle needs to be four door, greater than 30mpg highway, and reliable. Any particular things to be aware of when buying a used volt?

Last edited:
The Volt is good, as is the Prius V. Lots of room and 50 mpg in the Prius V :)

A lot of modern cars exceed 30 mpg highway, even the Accord. The 2013-17 Accord gets 35 mpg highway, very reliable, and very easy to work on for a modern car. 2018 switched to turbos which have some problems, but the generation before it is awesome.

For 20k, you can get a brand new car with over 30 mpg highway. Get a brand new Spark or Mirage. Even a leftover Sonic or Fit would be good. You might even be able to get a new Corolla hatchback or almost new.

Depends on how it will be used. I rarely used the gas engine in my Volt, so the MPG meter stayed maxed out at 250 MPG!
Friends Prius would return 50 mpg all day long.
Mostly <20 trips mile in southeast us, occasionally longer trips but not many. Are you happy with the volt?

My Volt was a 2012, and it was a lease long gone. I loved that car, really. It was quiet and quick. The hatchback style suited me and my hobbies very well. Remember, it only has a 10 gallon fuel tank, so long trips can be a bit of a hassle.
I plugged it in at home at night and it would be fully charged when I told it to be ready (cell phone app). I never saw an increase in my electric bill!
GM made many improvements to that car from input from us early adopters. I have no doubt that the last years of production will be fantastic.

If you're going hybrid, look at a Prius. They've pretty much set the standard. For a hatchback, and I really like most of those, Honda Fit and gently used Kia Rio or Forte 5. You could get them with under 15k miles for around $15k. Hyundai Elantra hatchback and Toyota Corolla hatchback deserve a mention. Mazda 3 is also something to consider. You won't have a lack of choice with good hatchbacks.

I have never been in a Volt, but I do live in the land of people who like to do their part for the envirornment.
Lotta Volts; owners love 'em. I have never heard a bad word from anyone about their Volt; quite the opposite.

I have never been in a Volt, but I do live in the land of people who like to do their part for the envirornment.
Lotta Volts; owners love 'em. I have never heard a bad word from anyone about their Volt; quite the opposite.
Lotta? Like 12v ? 24v ? 120v ? 240v ? 480v ?

2013 Volt owner here: A cheap Gen 1 will be perfect for 3 and is more efficient to boot.

I love my Volt. I've put 25k trouble free miles on it, and haven't had to do anything besides the front wheel bearings. It's even got the original brake pads. It does currently need a software update to cure a "Service High Voltage Charging System" message, but there's a TSB on it and my programming guy will do it for $150. I'll deal with it when it comes out of storage in the spring.

2nd gen volt is way better, and if you can avoid the 2016 year all the better.

If you are really a boss you might find a 2019 with the upgraded onboard 7.2kw charger. Should you need faster charging.

Back