Chevy Volt, change now or later?

The OLM on our 2015 Chevy Volt is based on time.. Two years is equal to 100%. The first of two free oil changes was done with only 450 miles on the ICE.

Originally Posted by turnbowm
The OLM on our 2015 Chevy Volt is based on time.. Two years is equal to 100%. The first of two free oil changes was done with only 450 miles on the ICE.

I recall reading a lot on here that the GM OLM was pretty sophisticated. Why would they dumb it down for the VOLT? I would think a sophisticated OLM would be crucial to an engine/generator that runs sporadically and sometimes hard.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by turnbowm

I recall reading a lot on here that the GM OLM was pretty sophisticated. Why would they dumb it down for the VOLT? I would think a sophisticated OLM would be crucial to an engine/generator that runs sporadically and sometimes hard.

90% of our driving is on full electric, so the ICE useage part of the OLM algorithm may not come into play. That also appears to be the case for the OP since his OLM indicates 67% after 7-8 months (~1/3yr).

The GM OLM works the same in the Volt as any other GM vehicle of that year, they didn't change it just for the Volt.

I would hold off - the OLM algorithm GM uses is supposed to be very good and if your Volt's manual reads like my Cobalt's, the recommendation to change oil is when the OLM indicates the need or 1 year, whichever occurs first.

The TIME requirement for the Volt is 2 years per oil change, per the owners manual. Or the OLM, whichever comes first.

The fact that they only require 2 years on time is solely due to the fact that the engine is very easy on oil ANYTIME IT RUNS, which can be pretty infrequent. Like someone else posted, there is no true idle for this engine. Whenever mine would fire up it was running right around 2000 rpm (by ear, they don't need a tach). The computer would speed it up from there if needed, just like a generator (Duh!).

Loved mine too. It IRKS me to no end that the Prius got all the good press and the Volt got fake news from people that couldn't understand it.

Originally Posted by JohnG
....It IRKS me to no end that the Prius got all the good press and the Volt got fake news from people that couldn't understand it.

We had a Prius before the Volt and the Volt is a far better car, both in technology and otherwise. When the battery was low on the Prius it was an absolute slug since the small ICE had to propel the car AND recharge the battery. It's a shame that GM abandoned the Voltec technology. Many feel that poor GM/Chevy marketing is to blame for the Volt's demise.

THE OCI for the Volt (per the manual) is every two years or (I forgot how many miles) but my son in law has one, every two years appears to work fine for him. His oil is actually pretty much amber color at two years. I would do the trip and see what it looks like afterwards or spend the $$$ for a UOA. Mighjt be worth it just once to see what the TBN is like and wear metals.

Many feel that poor GM/Chevy marketing is to blame for the Volt's demise.

Yeah, I heard that. Chevy spent MILLIONS on marketing but to no avail. They didn't have the catchy tunes or the Toyota JUMP, so they lost out.

I blame it strictly on the magazine editors. Toyota was paying, Chevy was not.

Back