Chevy Reportedly Issues Stop-Sale Order on C8 Corvette Over Brake-by-Wire Issue

A stop sale has more impact than a general recall IMO. This is a significant event.

Drive by wire is already here. Steering and throttle have been around for a while now.
Not really. Any recall is a stop sale for a new vehicle. Franchised dealers cannot sell a new vehicle with an open recall.

68 Vette Shiny Side.jpg
68_Vette back.jpg

this car looks cool and runs 10s why would i care about “driving feel”. the new Z06 will undoubtedly put most cars in the dirt on the street and on the track.

base model corvettes used to be pretty weak and slow cars, this one isn’t at all.

Last edited:
Mercedes-Benz tried brake by wire (Sensotronic Brake Control - SBC) back in the day and the project was a total flop with them even going so far as warranting the systems for 25 years and ultimately ditching the project all together.
Toyota copied the system for the Prius(and their hybrid versions of their “regular” cars) with a few tweaks - it’s called Electronically Controlled Brake.
It’s not as refined but has proven to be mostly reliable.

there is still a master cylinder and some emergency braking capability built in to brake-by-wire. But for normal operation, the MC is routed to a stroke simulator and a pressure transducer/stroke sensor serves as the braking input.

I am honestly surprised that automotive brake systems haven’t gone the way of a fail safe system like air brakes use. I don’t think air would be a proper choice in automotive applications but some kind of system that requires pressure to release a spring applied parking brake.

I despise drive by wire controls. And wow, brakes? Call me a laggard, whatever but I think it's extremely irresponsible to introduce unnecessary machinery and/or tech between a person's foot and the brakes, throttle and steering. And no I don't care how many millions of vehicles utilize this and yes a brake line can blow, I still think it's very irresponsible.

I am honestly surprised that automotive brake systems haven’t gone the way of a fail safe system like air brakes use. I don’t think air would be a proper choice in automotive applications but some kind of system that requires pressure to release a spring applied parking brake.
Most people will freak out if their brakes lock up out of the blue due to mechanical failure.

I know what you’re referring to - a low pressure cut-cut. If the air pressure is below 80psi, the spring brake is applied. If the air brake system is on a bus, a speed switch is used to apply the spring brake when the rear door is open below 5mph and prevents it from being deployed beyond that.

there’s also a manual override control but only used in an emergency.

Back