Chevy Reportedly Issues Stop-Sale Order on C8 Corvette Over Brake-by-Wire Issue

Over on the GM truck forum, the 2019's and up were having brake issues. No brakes and a hard pedal. Two recall's later and it seems to be fixed. My understanding is going to a brake by wire saves on weight. Considering aircraft use most of their controls by wire now. I don't understand why it is an issue.

Over on the GM truck forum, the 2019's and up were having brake issues. No brakes and a hard pedal. Two recall's later and it seems to be fixed. My understanding is going to a brake by wire saves on weight. Considering aircraft use most of their controls by wire now. I don't understand why it is an issue.
Aircraft have multiple redundant systems with a manual failsafe IIRC, the cost of which wouldn't fit into the price envelope for your typical passenger vehicle. @Cujet can probably better speak on the specifics or @Astro14

The best and fastest supercars use aviation technology (aerodynamics, air brake, etc) to stay on the ground.

Look up Pagani Huayra.

The best and fastest supercars use aviation technology (aerodynamics, air brake, etc) to stay on the ground.

Look up Pagani Huayra.

Being much more expensive to R&D and manufacture for cars that normal joes can buy.

My 2016 Chevy/Holden SS: deal was signed July 10th and Stop sale happened.
car was delivered Oct 23. This all over a seat belt part. I wonder how many new brake boosters GM has handy.

The problem is I think the car is over engineered. Most people would have been happy with a better C7 and a quality manual.

C8 is not a sports car but a very fast grand tourer.

You have that sort of correct C8 is no longer a sports car it is an all out super car

The C8 is slightly larger than the Huracan. The Chevy is about 4 inches longer and 3 inches taller than the Lamborghini, and the cars are identical in width. Each car is available as a coupe or as a convertible with a retractable hardtop

The Chevrolet Corvette is one of the most recognizable American sports cars and notorious scene-stealers in the history of cinema. For the 2020 model, Corvette has been transformed from a sports car into a full-blown supercar with one crucial design change — it's now a "mid-engine" car

The Chevrolet Corvette. One of the all-time most recognizable American sports cars and notorious scene-stealers in the history of cinema. But even as its supercharged versions, the Z06 and ZR1, continue to crank up the horsepower, the 'Vette hasn't quite slipped its way into the same class as the high-priced, high-speed supercars offered by automakers like Ferrari, Lamborghini, or McLaren. That is, until now. For the 2020 model, Chevrolet may have finally closed the gap with one crucial design change. And it's created an entirely new car that can definitely hang in the big leagues.

The new Vette is an incredible amount of performance for the money.
With this car, you can make life miserable for Porsches, Ferraris, etc.

The Corvette is usually the faster car when pitted against these, which not only makes me laugh but questions why anyone would get ohh a Lamborghini, which usually loses the race.

I don't know if it is an outright stomping (it is vs any V10 Lamborghini/Audi,) but it's still close and the Vette usually wins.

It's faster than a Jaguar F-Type.

It is faster than almost anything.

Notable exceptions would be Demon and McLaren 720S, but one of those can only go fast in a straight line.. and even then, the 720S and Demon are virtual ties in the quarter. (Demon gets it off the line.) And this is true for both the "normal" and 1000HP tuned variants. Same result.

You have that sort of correct C8 is no longer a sports car it is an all out super car

But a terrible driver's car. Its target demographic is retired old men, not people chasing lap times.

Let's start with the stupid steering wheel:

And as SavageGeese put it, it's a much better street car than a track car for various reasons. Terminal understeer, numb feeling, less planted front end.

Lastly, it's ridiculous to compare this to a Lamborghini or Porsche 911 GT3. This car can never be what those vehicles are. One is a status symbol with exotic craftsmanship and materials, the other is meant to chase track times. The C8 does neither.

But a terrible driver's car. Its target demographic is retired old men, not people chasing lap times.

And as SavageGeese put it, it's a much better street car than a track car for various reasons. Terminal understeer, numb feeling, less planted front end.

Lastly, it's ridiculous to compare this to a Lamborghini or Porsche 911 GT3. This car can never be what those vehicles are. One is a status symbol with exotic craftsmanship and materials, the other is meant to chase track times. The C8 does neither.

Does it still have the 2 liter Coke bottle grade premium interior?

Not only that, but. For myself, and anyone else taller than 6 feet.. I would think it is a really cramped, little car. More than a few people may have difficulty actually fitting in the car. Maybe some taller folks can weigh in as well?

At least in a Lamborghini, it can accommodate a tall driver. Subsequent ones since Fabio have as well.

Lastly, has it kept the quote-unquote V4 mode..

That video seems like it's nitpicking. He talks about how the steering wheel isn't a complete circle and how the driver won't know where to grab then continues to show multiple Formula steering wheels that aren't circle. Not to mention the multitude of steering wheels in cars like BMW's M series, Merc's AMG, even the Focus RS that do not have a completely circular wheel.

If the shape of the steering wheel makes you unable to hit the paddle shifters then you don't need to drive a car on the track. It's a weird design compared to 'normal' wheels but the horizontal bars on the steering wheel allows you to actually use your entire hand to grip the wheel at the proper 9 and 3 o'clock - the second thing any driving coach will tell you.

The lambo also doesn't hold any NASA TT wins and there's a lot more Vettes on the leaderboard than the one or two Porsche GT3s on there.

Not only that, but. For myself, and anyone else taller than 6 feet.. I would think it is a really cramped, little car. More than a few people may have difficulty actually fitting in the car. Maybe some taller folks can weigh in as well?

At least in a Lamborghini, it can accommodate a tall driver. Subsequent ones since Fabio have as well.

One of the VPs at my company that's at least 6'8" can fit in his vette with his helmet having a few inches to spare.

Last edited:

It takes a real smart guy to nitpick the car in its first year of production. If any of these guys had haft a brain they would see it was made with a battery in mind in the middle tunnel which seems like a hybrid drivetrain may be in the future for this car and possibly AWD.
You should say the 250K+ exotics cannot compete with this car, it will match their performance in not the to distant future for almost 180K less.

It takes a real smart guy to nitpick the car in its first year of production. If any of these guys had haft a brain they would see it was made with a battery in mind in the middle tunnel which seems like a hybrid drivetrain may be in the future for this car and possibly AWD.
You should say the 250K+ exotics cannot compete with this car, it will match their performance in not the to distant future for almost 180K less.

At least Lamborghini never put a stop sale on their vehicles due to faulty brakes. For those that have money, they don't buy an exotic for pure performance. No rich guy is looking at "value".

AWD won't help the understeer. It's not nitpicking, they're legitimate criticisms. A Porsche GT3 is supposed to make you feel connected to the vehicle. This car doesn't and it's not meant for that.

To put it in perspective, the Camaro ZL1 is faster on the Nurburgring. Same price.

GM knows its demographic. Retired old guy that is going to keep it in his garage for the most part, and accelerate from a red light a few times a year to feel young again. The fact that a manual is not an option is telling. It's not an enthusiast vehicle.

So I guess that's a "no" then.

Funny how stirred up people can get from a simple question. I'm not sure what "GM's side" even means, the last GM car I owned was my 1974 Buick Regal. I have no dog in this fight, just wondered was all.

At least Lamborghini never put a stop sale on their vehicles due to faulty brakes. For those that have money, they don't buy an exotic for pure performance. No rich guy is looking at "value".

AWD won't help the understeer. It's not nitpicking, they're legitimate criticisms. A Porsche GT3 is supposed to make you feel connected to the vehicle. This car doesn't and it's not meant for that.

To put it in perspective, the Camaro ZL1 is faster on the Nurburgring. Same price.

GM knows its demographic. Retired old guy that is going to keep it in his garage for the most part, and accelerate from a red light a few times a year to feel young again. The fact that a manual is not an option is telling. It's not an enthusiast vehicle.

What Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche has a manual gearbox? I guess they are old mens cars too. I had a Porsche 930 that could be a very dangerous car to drive if you didn't know how to drive it.

Nuff said, when you have a clue about what you are talking about try again.

What Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche has a manual gearbox? I guess they are old mens cars too. I had a Porsche 930 that could be a very dangerous car to drive if you didn't know how to drive it.

Nuff said, when you have a clue about what you are talking about try again.

That's why manual exotics have risen in value? When a cheaper ZL1 is faster than your "supercar".

Perhaps the C8 will be perfected by the time they are common on lots and discounted.

For sure it will and it wont take long either, whatever minor issues the car has are very few for a brand new from ground up car.
All the super car bits and pieces are there they just may take a little tweaking. At $60-80K other manufacturers cant be sleeping well at night.
If they stick a 5 ltr blackwing twin turbo DOHC engine (or the new flat plane crank 5.5) in it along with twin electric motors driving the front wheels when needed and a decent battery pack with regenerate this car wont only beat the cars costing more than twice as much and have had almost 50 years of development it will beat them like a red headed stepchild.

Back