Chevy love it or return it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I've heard of programs like this before.

Saturn!
frown.gif

this should be a standard option with all new auto sales with the stipulation of depreciation involved and i think 30 days is a fair amount of time.. two months seems like a stretch..

if you return the auto and take a different model than your not out depreciation, all out of pocket expense is transfered to the new model.. but if your simply return it due to changing your mind.. well i think the buyer should loose something.. buying a car is a big purchase, you shouldnt be buying in the first place if there's doubt.

They finally have enough truly good cars where they can get away with it. Folks are snapping up Cruzes, the Sonic has gone off to decent reviews, the Malibu is improving on success, and the Impala is getting a long-overdue replacement. The Equinox is also a pretty darn good crossover.

They've done a decent job with the lineup, and want more folks (and younger folks) to pay attention.

Now if only they'd improve the dealers, it'd be fantastic!

+1. This program is aimed at people who have unreasonable trepidations about shopping for a Chevrolet or any domestic for that matter. If they'd only go and check out a Chevrolet with a half open mind they might find the cars suit them better than the requisite Toyota, Honda etc.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Folks are snapping up Cruzes,

From Autoblog.com:

Quote:
Over 1.5 million deliveries – admittedly 46 percent to rental fleets, 12 percent to company car fleets and 42 percent as private purchases

Nearly 60 percent of sales to fleet and rentals? Just 42 percent of sales to the general public? Sounds like the only people snapping them up are the rental companies, which will put them on the used car market in a couple years and drive the value down. Those type of low profit sales part of what got GM in trouble in the first place.

Being a darling of rentals and fleets isn't something to get excited about, and that's clearly where the bulk of the Cruze sales are going.

Other companies have done the "Love it or return it" promotion in the past to mixed success. It's simply a marketing tool to attempt to drive people into the showrooms. GM wants to increase their share price (which is currently very, very poor) and is doing whatever it takes to try to boost private party sales in order to pull their stock price up. It's an act of desperation rather than product confidence.

I liked the promotion a few years back where you'd go into a showroom and push the onstar button for a chance to win a fantastic prize. Forget if it was a million bucks or a new GM car or a free oil change, probably all three, LOL.

I went into a saturn dealer and told the salesman "on deck" that I was there to push the button. He rolled his eyes and said he got that a lot.

He was breathing down my neck through an open VUE window so I asked if it had the honda 3.5 V6 and he confirmed it then walked away satisfied that he had harangued me long enough.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Folks are snapping up Cruzes,

From Autoblog.com:

Quote:
Over 1.5 million deliveries – admittedly 46 percent to rental fleets, 12 percent to company car fleets and 42 percent as private purchases

Nearly 60 percent of sales to fleet and rentals? Just 42 percent of sales to the general public? Sounds like the only people snapping them up are the rental companies, which will put them on the used car market in a couple years and drive the value down. Those type of low profit sales part of what got GM in trouble in the first place.

Being a darling of rentals and fleets isn't something to get excited about, and that's clearly where the bulk of the Cruze sales are going.

You're neglecting to say that those are worldwide numbers, not US-specific.

For US-specific numbers, look at The Truth About Cars, and search: The Truth about Ford Focus Sales, dated March 1, 2012. The US-specific numbers indicate that about 25% of Cruze sales are to fleets. GM sends about 25% of its vehicles to fleets, too.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I liked the promotion a few years back where you'd go into a showroom and push the onstar button for a chance to win a fantastic prize. Forget if it was a million bucks or a new GM car or a free oil change, probably all three, LOL.

I went into a saturn dealer and told the salesman "on deck" that I was there to push the button. He rolled his eyes and said he got that a lot.

He was breathing down my neck through an open VUE window so I asked if it had the honda 3.5 V6 and he confirmed it then walked away satisfied that he had harangued me long enough.

GM still does this every once in a while. If I've got a minute I'll drop in and play, the sales guys don't mind at all as it might sell them a car. $1k off is as good I've ever won which wasn't enough to get me to jump into a new GM.

without too much effort, i already found a dealer advertising $500 or $1000 off below this "no haggle" price. This "no haggle" price itself isn't stellar or stimulating enough in my mind to be a serious promotion. Then again, the vast majority of GM products to me arent very attractive in the first place.

I'm curious. Anybody know how much off MSRP (percent wise) these manufacturers who tried this before were selling these returned vehicles. Maybe you could get a bargain on a almost brand new Chevy.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
+1. This program is aimed at people who have unreasonable trepidations about shopping for a Chevrolet or any domestic for that matter. If they'd only go and check out a Chevrolet with a half open mind they might find the cars suit them better than the requisite Toyota, Honda etc.

It's VERY difficult to deprogram/un-brainwash the American shlemming public.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
The Cruze must be pretty popular I see them everywhere.

I too see them everywhere. I must say I really like how they look and it may, in a year or two, replace the Buick if I can't find a good deal on the New Regal or the Buick version of the Cruze.

I own a Cruze and I've rented a 2012 Focus. Both are very nice and actually better than the 2012 Corolla, Civic, Sentra etc...
The Mazda 3 is nice as is the new Impreza.
The Americans are finally competing with the Japanese and often winning. Time will tell about durability and reliability.

I think the Americans have competed well with the Japanese for a long time, especially in certain market segments. I've owned a ton of American vehicles (mostly GM actually, but a number of Chryslers also) and most have been good vehicles. The GM cars I've owned have been among the best I've owned.

I do think it's unfortunate, the attitude that anyone who doesn't own a domestic car is necessarily drinking "kool aid" or is brainwashed. The only people who are hurt by that kind of attitude are those who are holding it, but it's still sad to read it over and over again.

Yes, my brother in law who had been buying only Japanese and German cars bought a Mustang last week. Domestic are finally doing good enough that it is selling without "giving away" the car.

Also has a lot to do with the Japanese and German starting to cheap out their cars, and US finally get a more favorable labor contracts with the unions, and stopped (or at least reduced) cutting corner with plastics and clips that are not designed for more than 150kM.

Now if they can improve the styling then I might consider one. I'm not a fan on the current generation of domestic because of the way they look. It's just something about bulky big body part that doesn't have the line and curve of refinement. Some Japanese cars have the same problem (i.e. Honda Accord), and they are off my list too.

This is actual competition in progress. A HUGE risk if it backfires and everyone returns their cars!

I can speak to the 'cute-ute' segment as I shopped it relentlessly for a friend recently. She ended up with a GMC Terrain and it was by far the nicest vehicle for the dollar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back