Chevy Cruze eco 6sp manual vs. VW Golf TDI auto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only real answer is do drive the the two cars, but try equally equipped cars. The Cruze Eco does come in auto you know, in fact I'm sure they sell more autos.

I would love to have VW's new TDI, and I think the new Golf looks good as well. However, and this for me would be a deal breaker and something that nobody mentioned before, all VWs diesels have the DPF.

That system, although simple on paper, it's just a filter, right? Is hugely complicated, expensive and has all sorts of sensors attached that will go wrong. VW rates the DPF at about 120,000 miles, they recommend inspection and/or replacement at 120k miles and if it passes at that mileage, inspection every 10k miles after. Replacement is to the tune of several thousand dollars.

That is just insane, essentially the exhaust system becomes a crazy expensive maintenance item. Now, we don't exactly know how the DPF will fare at 120k miles, but it was designed to get clogged with ashes from burned off soot, so eventually it will need a replacement.

Originally Posted By: R2d2
Can you explain what DPF is? Some kind of direct injection?

DPF and one of the reasons why a new VW TDI is a TOTALLY DIFFERENT VEHICLE that anything else people are bringing up in this thread...

What someones 2002 or how VW diesels ran THIRTY years ago have nothing in this discussion.
33.gif

Quote:
Maintenance

Filters require more maintenance than catalytic converters. Ash, a byproduct of oil consumption from normal engine operation, builds up in the filter as it cannot be converted into a gas and pass through the walls of the filter. This increases the pressure before the filter. Warnings are given to the driver before filter restriction causes an issue with driveability or damage to the engine or filter develop. Regular filter maintenance is a necessity.

The only real answer is do drive the the two cars, but try equally equipped cars. The Cruze Eco does come in auto you know, in fact I'm sure they sell more autos.

True they do, but the Eco Manual gets MUCH better mileage than the Automatic. Manual is known to exceed 40mpg easily, the auto averages around 30, or less.

Thanks Bill inciteful link, but remember the cruze is DI and the story is still out as far as long term Maintainance on those those. Although DI has had its problems, thinking of Audi in particular, DPF or direct injection would not be enough to for me to exclude either car if I was in the market for one.

Originally Posted By: Nick R

True they do, but the Eco Manual gets MUCH better mileage than the Automatic. Manual is known to exceed 40mpg easily, the auto averages around 30, or less.

Interesting the Eco auto on the Chevy website is rated at exactly the same highway as the manual. I find it hard to believe there that far off

Thanks Bill inciteful link, but remember the cruze is DI and the story is still out as far as long term Maintainance on those those. Although DI has had its problems, thinking of Audi in particular, DPF or direct injection would not be enough to for me to exclude either car if I was in the market for one.

Cruze does not have a DI engine, it's got the good old multi port injection.

Interesting the Eco auto on the Chevy website is rated at exactly the same highway as the manual. I find it hard to believe there that far off

The Eco manual is actually rated 42, and the auto is 39, but real life mpg are much different. Sciphi has averaged well over 40mpg with his manual, and I'm averageing 27, 28 with my auto, but I'm not doing much highway driving.. My dad just drove 530 miles from NY to Norfolk, and doing 70, he averaged 36 in his '11 LT

Both the 1.8 and 1.4T in the cruze get standard SMPFI, not DI. The 3.0L In my mom's nox has DI, but GM has apparently gotten DI done properly, with so far none of the horror stories from some other manufacturers.

Good to know, makes it a much more appealing new vehicle. I wonder what the curb weight is on it, Chevy lists the weight of the other Cruze models but not the Eco. From what I understand they shaved a couple hundred pounds off a non-Eco cruze.

DI HAS caused me to pass on it when a normal engine is available in a certain model. My 2011 that I just bought has either and I would rather pass on anything with DI or a diesel with DPF.

The question was BETWEEN the 2 in the subject line. For me NEITHER but if those were the choices the Cruze hands down.

Now if it was a diesel Cruze or TDI MY answer would be NEITHER. The EPA has taken anything diesel (and I've been an advocate for diesels here over the years) off my list.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

DI HAS caused me to pass on it when a normal engine is available in a certain model. My 2011 that I just bought has either and I would rather pass on anything with DI or a diesel with DPF.

The question was BETWEEN the 2 in the subject line. For me NEITHER but if those were the choices the Cruze hands down.

Now if it was a diesel Cruze or TDI MY answer would be NEITHER. The EPA has taken anything diesel (and I've been an advocate for diesels here over the years) off my list.

Take care, Bill

Hey bill, OT but I don't remember hearing about this. What didja get?

The 3.0L In my mom's nox has DI, but GM has apparently gotten DI done properly, with so far none of the horror stories from some other manufacturers.

So you hope...
whistle.gif

The 3.0L In my mom's nox has DI, but GM has apparently gotten DI done properly, with so far none of the horror stories from some other manufacturers.

So you hope...
whistle.gif

I know lol fingers crossed. I've been hearing that something GM did has all but eliminated deposit issues, and fuel washdown issues seem to have been fixed. Only time will tell.

Take care, Bill

Hey bill, OT but I don't remember hearing about this. What didja get?

It is off topic but I'm not disclosing as some on this board have caused *many* members to keep to themselves what vehicles they buy because of the bashing / agenda mindset that goes on here.

Sold the Subaru and got something that works better for our mission. The wife loves it and its simpler so I'm happy.

A lot of things that older members used to do like announce new purchases, UOAs and such are being kept out of the loop or in PMs.

Bill

Originally Posted By: AccordV6MN
Cruze is still in very early version, no history yet. Early version tend to have more issue before the bugs ironed out.

It has been being built in other places around the world sense 2008. Yeah there are going to be some difference between each place it is built but
Originally Posted By: AccordV6MN
Cruze is still in very early version, no history yet. Early version tend to have more issue before the bugs ironed out.

The cruze has actually was put into production in korea in 2008 and then spread to other countries in 2009. So at this point the cruze has been in production for the last 3 years.

The Eco manual is actually rated 42, and the auto is 39, but real life mpg are much different. Sciphi has averaged well over 40mpg with his manual, and I'm averageing 27, 28 with my auto, but I'm not doing much highway driving.. My dad just drove 530 miles from NY to Norfolk, and doing 70, he averaged 36 in his '11 LT

Nick, here's a link to my Fuelly: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/drcruze/cruze

As you can see, in mostly highway driving I've averaged about 44 MPG lifetime. I also run premium (10% corn juiced 93 octane around me) since it helps with power and driveability.

I'm not worried about the turbocharged port-injected Family 0 Ecotec in my Cruze. GM has had other FI Ecotecs around for years. If there were horror stories to be heard, we would have heard them by now.

With a 3/4 full tank of gas, a load of recyclables, and me in the car, my Cruze weighs about 3200 lbs per the scale at the local county transfer station. So it does weigh less than other Cruzes.

Can you explain what DPF is? Some kind of direct injection?

DPF and one of the reasons why a new VW TDI is a TOTALLY DIFFERENT VEHICLE that anything else people are bringing up in this thread...

What someones 2002 or how VW diesels ran THIRTY years ago have nothing in this discussion.
33.gif

Quote:
Maintenance

Filters require more maintenance than catalytic converters. Ash, a byproduct of oil consumption from normal engine operation, builds up in the filter as it cannot be converted into a gas and pass through the walls of the filter. This increases the pressure before the filter. Warnings are given to the driver before filter restriction causes an issue with driveability or damage to the engine or filter develop. Regular filter maintenance is a necessity.

It goes to credibilty. People on this board are still b******* about GM's intake gasket which got fixed in 04. The new VW diesels are having HPFP failures, so much that the NHSTA is investigating it.

So I will be [censored] if I let someone buy something that I know in the past they had a hard time making right and the service deptmarment didn't care.

Wow thanks for all the resposes guys! I was checking the board all weekend on my phone reading your responses when I went to drive both cars, I didn't respond because I hate doing that on my phone. To answer a lot of peoples questions the reason why I was looking at an auto VW is that if we got that car my wife would drive it and she does not want a manual. The other reason is that the dealer said its very hard to finds a manual golf.

Well I looked at and drove both cars and after weighing the differences and reading all of your responses I decided to get the Chevy. The reason was a mix of 1. Made in America 2. Onstar 3. Great fuel milage with a gas engine 4. Cheaper parts/service 5. I just liked the way it drove better!

So here is where the story gets weird, I decided to buy the car and went down to my credit union for the check. When I came back they told me that we had a problem!!! Apparently when they took it to the gas station to fill it up a lady backed into it and smashed in the front of the car. I haden't signed any papers on it yet so I was good but now they are finding me a different car as that was their only manual. I should have it today but I am mad that the only ones they could find have more options so I have to pay out of pocket the difference or go back to my credit union and start the loan process all over. I'll tell you guys how it goes today and maybe post some pics!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back