Chevy Colorado?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Downsizing my 2500HD looking at used 4x4 Colorado's you guys that have them anything to be aware of or to look for? any issues? how's mileage?

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Which generation are you looking at?

In the 2006-2010 range.

They seem to be decent trucks. About the same size as as what 1/2 ton pick-ups used to be. You can actually shovel loads into the back of them without throwing your shovel full six feet in the air, or load sacks of cement without lifting them to shoulder height.

4x4, didn't they have a non-normal requirement for front rotor removal? I took a quick look but I'm not sure how much of a pain it is.

That timeframe is 4L60, right? Which is neither here nor there, but I feel like it needs to be mentioned (might go forever or have been replaced twice already).

If you are after mpg, I'd compare on fuelly.com and see if it's significantly better than full size half ton. IIRC one of the problems of the mid size was that they just didn't crank out better mpg on the highway than a full sized. Around town might be different (and of course parking should be easier on the smaller truck).

Originally Posted By: supton
4x4, didn't they have a non-normal requirement for front rotor removal? I took a quick look but I'm not sure how much of a pain it is..

Indeed they do.

Front hub disassembly is required to remove the front rotors. I have not done one, but have some buddies who dread doing them for this reason. I've heard it's a very expensive front pad/rotor job for a shop to do on this vintage of Colorado/Canyon

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
They seem to be decent trucks. About the same size as as what 1/2 ton pick-ups used to be. You can actually shovel loads into the back of them without throwing your shovel full six feet in the air, or load sacks of cement without lifting them to shoulder height.

I think that is part of the point … At 6-2’ I can barely see in the bed of BiL’s aluminum F150 … I can maneuver in the woods, tight S-turn boat ramp at camp … and off road have gotten further than heavy trucks because I’m lighter, have as much power, and 4.10 gears feeding 285’s …
Have nicer vehicles for the highway anyway … To each thier own …

Don't see many of that vintage around here in MI much....mostly Rangers and old S 10s.

Think many of them went south....

Originally Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar
Exactly. Where did they all go? It's like a 80s-90s Camaro. They just all went away and they were everywhere. Good sign that they are junk.
Kids happen to Camaros and mustangs of that vintage. They crash them and break them.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
My dad has a '17. It's alright. Not sure why you'd choose it over a Silverado.

I don't need a 2500 3/4 ton anymore like to stay with 4x4 and get a little better mileage.

Originally Posted By: daman

In the 2006-2010 range.

Yikes, don't get an 06. A 2007 or newer should have most of the bugs worked out. A guy on here recently sold his 06 for $1250 after it had some engine problems. Although it could have been probably fixed for around $2k. I'll see if I can find the threads. Another option is buying one from CarMax and getting their warranty to go with it.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4768553/1

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4765338/1

Last edited:

I don't need a 2500 3/4 ton anymore like to stay with 4x4 and get a little better mileage.

Could drop to a half ton. Although fuelly indicates the 4.3L Silverado 4.3L Silverado is about 18mpg while Colorado Colorado is 20. I guess either is a sight better than the 2500's 13mpg!

Who was suggesting a 2500?

The '14 Silverado Z71 SLT I drove for work got 18-22 mpg... And it was more comfortable and nicer than any Colorado. They're so closely priced I'd rather have the more comfortable and capable truck.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

In the 2006-2010 range.

Yikes, don't get an 06. A 2007 or newer should have most of the bugs worked out. A guy on here recently sold his 06 for $1250 after it had some engine problems. Although it could have been probably fixed for around $2k. I'll see if I can find the threads. Another option is buying one from CarMax and getting their warranty to go with it.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4768553/1

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4765338/1

Thanks for the heads up/links I'll keep it above 2007

Originally Posted By: supton

Could drop to a half ton. Although fuelly indicates the 4.3L Silverado 4.3L Silverado is about 18mpg while Colorado Colorado is 20. I guess either is a sight better than the 2500's 13mpg!

Exactly you nailed it that's about what I'm getting now 13-14mpg!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back