Chevy Colorado vs. new Malibu build quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
all cars, especially high volume ones, may have some niggling issues. the more they make, the more chance of them showing up.
I actually like the previous gen ('07) Malibu SS, but it doesn't get any love anywhere.

Wow, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beerholder. I just got rid of my 2001 Ram 1500 for a 2008 extended cab Colorado LT (inferno orange pumpkin truck) and was really impressed with it. The sheet metal is like a pop can, but all new cars appear to use the same thickness, except for the fullsize trucks. Good gas mileage, too. FWIW my wife has a 2008 Malibu 2LT w/o any problems to date. She's had it for about 6 months. Gas mileage is mid 20's, which is good for her (leadfoot).

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Hmmmm,
It seem that they are having QC problems. The Camry has a few tranny problems currently and I can't remember where I read it but they have had like 7 recalls lately and their Tacoma buy back.

I hope this is not accurate because I'm considering a Camry.

Software updates have corrected the "hesitation" problem in the four-cylinder Camrys and the "flare" problems in the V6. An upgraded torque converter has also been installed onto V6 models that were produced after May 2008 to address shudder problems during light acceleration.

I sat in the Malibu, but I never drove one. The car felt small to me compared to the Camry and Accord. I'm under 6 feet tall and my head rubs on the headliner when I sit in the rear seat. To me, that's unacceptable. The driving position wasn't nearly as good as the Accord either. I'll take one for a drive one of these days, but the uncomfortable rear seat will stop me from buying it.

Originally Posted By: GMFan

As for the new malibu, I'm starting to see them on the roads and they always stun me. They are excellent looking vehicles. They really shine in the sea of Accords and Camrys.

32.gif
The current generation Camry still looks hideous to me. I haven't driven one, so can't comment on that aspect.

I really like the new Malibu. My top choice in the segment. Sadly, I couldn't justify the optional 6-speed auto transmission with the four banger (best combination for fuel mileage), as I pretty much always drive in-town, alone (MSRP is pretty steep with this combo for us Canucks). Not even a woman-toy anymore!

Okay, so I just went to build one, and I coulda sworn the 6-speed was available with the four-banger... Apparently not.

And 33K MSRP for a mid-size Chevy is a bit much (speaking of the LTZ).

Firemachine-

Looks like the GM site is not allowing one to build '09s yet.

That's probably why you're not seeing the six speed.

If you get a Malibu, I'd recommend getting the Malibu Classic because it still comes with the LZ4 Flex Fuel VVT 3.5L V-6. These engines have 220 hp and 220 ft lbs and are now rated 31 mpg hgwy.

We have one in an Impala and it get's a legitimate hand calculated 34 to mpg hgwy. Low 20s in town. The Ecotec is gonna be just a tad better, but the V-6 has nutz when you need it. Doesn't even need to downshift with 4 people in ours going up steep hills on the interstate.

The 3.6L DOHC V-6 gets significantly lower fuel economy.

^^^I have the previous generation Impala 3.4 V-6 and it consistently gets 34 on the highway too. That's keeping the cruise control at 65 mph and no faster.

I rent Camry's all the time, they are the rental car "Taurus" now a days with Hertz. It is what it is, a boring rental car (with some nasty dashboard glare on the windshield). I've only driven one Malibu (from National) and it was better than the Camry, thats for sure. The poster above who said to rent one for a weekend has the right plan, then YOU can decide instead of asking all of us yahoos on an internet message board.

First, to clear things up on the Colorado.

They are built here in Shreveport, LA, in a GM plant alongside the Hummer H3 and new 09 H3T. Yes, they also built the Isuzu version here but they don't make that one anymore.

I have a Colorado and it has been a solid, but yes, cheap truck. Mine is an 06 5 cylinder and it has not had a moment's trouble. The only glaringly bad aspect was some of the interior trim strip around the windshield bubbled up on mine. Yes, the external body components are thin and it's not a truck to lean against. But at the same time, I wouldn't say the sheet metal feels any thinner than that on my CR-V.

As for the Malibu, a co-worker of mine has an 08 4 cylinder 4 speed auto and can't stop praising it. He does mainly highway driving and without any particular gas-saving techniques other than driving the speed limit, his highway mileage hovers around 38 mpg. I've sat in the car and it seems very solid. Maybe one or two of the trim pieces on the dash are a bit harder plastic than I like. But they still don't scream cheap and it's still VASTLY improved over GM models past.... One thing I would say, though, is it seems a bit tighter inside than say, a new accord. But I could easily see myself driving one, especially the v-6.

But honestly, if I were to buy a car in the $20k range from GM right now, it would be the Cobalt SS. Especially after Road and Track put it up against the mazda 3, WRX, and Lacer Ralliart and ranked it first.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=31&article_id=7103

That Cobalt SS is a budget pocket rocket no doubt. Wonder how it would have stacked up with the Neon SRT-4. I know that Neon was a real fast car for about 20 grand.

I would buy a 1 year old Cobalt SS and pay half what the original owner paid.

Well, I've been buying used for so long, My CR-V is the only new vehicle I've ever bought out of 5 auto purchases I've made. So by golly the next thing I buy is going to be new unless it's a Vette or 911.

Hi

We have had a Colorado (CC,4x4) since summer '05. Bought it new and its been a fine truck.

I do wish it had a cabin air filter tho...

As for build quality, no complaints and its used as a all around vehicle and even the 4x4 gets a work out.

FWIW, my neighbor had a Tacoma which was "bought back"..lol

The money was used as a dp for a new Canyon which they love, esp the mpg which is considerably more than the Taco ever managed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back