Chevy Colorado vs. new Malibu build quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I'm trying to decide if I will buy another GM for our new family car we need. We are considering the new Malibu because of all the really good things I have read about it and that JD Powers rated it as the most trouble free car built in 2008.
Our last Truck was a Colorado and it was a total piece of junk. All kinds of elecracal problems and the build quality was awefull. The sheet metal was so thin the hood bowed in and out as you drove down the road and the doors did the same shutting them. All kinds of cheep hard plastic trim.

What I'm getting at is I want to know if anyone has the new Malibu and if the build quality is better(MUCH, MUCH, MUCH BETTER) then the Colorado. If GM can build a POS like the Colorado I'm still not 100% convinced the Malibu is the awesome car they claim it is.
Thanks for any input!!!!

If I had the money, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new Malibu. Haven't driven one, but they look like a very solidly-built vehicle. Again, just an observation, but they do LOOK a lot 'more solid' than a Colorado.

wow, throw the whole company under the bus based on the experiences w/ one economy P/U.
my litmus test is, if car & driver likes a domestic car, it MUST be good. IIRC, all the mags like the new malibu and the saturn aura. I spent a few days w/ an aura and I was really impressed w/ it. maybe you should test drive one and see for yourself.

Originally Posted By: mpvue
wow, throw the whole company under the bus based on the experiences w/ one economy P/U.
my litmus test is, if car & driver likes a domestic car, it MUST be good. IIRC, all the mags like the new malibu and the saturn aura. I spent a few days w/ an aura and I was really impressed w/ it. maybe you should test drive one and see for yourself.

I have had a lot of bad Gm's but also some good ones. I'm also looking at Toyota and Honda.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
The Colorado isn't really a GM product, it is a rebadged Isuzu product, as is the Trailblazer.

I thought it was the other way around way around. Chevy made them for Isuzu.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
The Colorado isn't really a GM product, it is a rebadged Isuzu product, as is the Trailblazer.

I thought it was the other way around way around. Chevy made them for Isuzu.

I thought it was an Isuzu plant in Louisiana or Mississippi....

Here is what someone on MSN autos said about the 2008-2009 Malibu:

Pros:
The 2008 Malibu is a quality made vehicle. Very good looking and a good quality interior. Quiet interior. Good brakes and suspension calibration. V6 engine is strong and has nice sounds especially when you step on go pedal. Storage space is good. Some good features on LT1 and LT2 models. Truly cold A/C. Good steering wheel controls.
Cons:
Fuel mileage is not great. It's a heavy car and quicker left right transitions reveal this. Although it has good space inside, it should be more spacious for the overall size of car. Trunk opening is tight for big items.
Overall Review:
A very good looking car and great craftmanship for an American product. This is what GM should have been building more than 10 years ago. It's more than just a rental product. Nice. Now, get the 6speed auto smoother and improve gas mileage.

Take it with a grain of salt, but it's the only review on the site right now.

Our 03 Chevy Trailblazer EXT 4x4 was built in Oklahoma City.

I'm pretty sure it is GM.

You are thinking of the Isuzu Ascender, which was built by GM for Isuzu.

As for the new malibu, I'm starting to see them on the roads and they always stun me. They are excellent looking vehicles. They really shine in the sea of Accords and Camrys.

Last edited:
It's a GM plant in Louisiana. Izusu had some input into the design as did GM of Brazil. If you read the wikipedia article on the Chevrolet Colorado you can be as confused as I am.

The 6 speed transmission does start out a bit rough but over time it seems to well smooth out. Not sure why but that's how it was in my moms aura.

also don't get the v6 if your really worried about millage. My mom averages about 20 to 21 with her mixed driving. I can pull 23 to 24 when I drive it in mixed. On the eway the other day when it turned in 27 mpg on a 60 mile trip. On the other hand the v6 is really fun to drive.

Last edited:
GM gets a bad rap from low-quality economy cars (such as the Colorado and Cobalt) but, IMO, their more expensive cars have always been well built and solid. The only way to know if you'd really like the Malibu is to take one on an extended test drive and really get to know it. I sat in one at the auto show and was really impressed, I especially love the two-tone dash. It's a huge step up from previous Malibu's.

See if you can rent one for a long weekend. Maybe a local Enterprise franchise will have them, maybe Avis or some other rental outfit that buys GM cars. Put it thru your normal driving duties and beyond to see if it'll pass your personal litmus test.

My Chevy/Caddy dealer gave me a new '08 Mailbu demo as a loaner car a few months ago. It was an LS with a 2.4. The only two options it has was body side moldings and floor mats.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1175282&fpart=1

Thank you!
I swore I'd never buy another GM. This new Malibu keeps looking better and better. Now I keep reading how Toyota is having all kinds of problems........makes the Malibu look even better!

Toyota not having all kinds of problems its just there quality is slipping abit while gms is climbing right now.

Hmmmm,
It seem that they are having QC problems. The Camry has a few tranny problems currently and I can't remember where I read it but they have had like 7 recalls lately and their Tacoma buy back.

I hope this is not accurate because I'm considering a Camry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back