Chevy 3.6 liter OEM filter only?

I have recently purchased a 2013 Chevy impala with the 3.6l engine from a guy that I plan on driving to work to save miles on the new truck. The guy told me whatever you do use the AC delco filter on it when you change oil. He said the dealer told him there was a Service bulletin sent out to the dealers when he bought it new that this was the only filter that was to be used for this engine due to flow rate or something. Iv never seen or heard this and me thinks the dealer was pulling his leg to get him back for oil changes. Has anyone ever heard of this? I was just going to use my old standby napa gold filter when I done it.

There was a TSB warning that non-OEM filters may not meet GM specs in regard to the psi rating of the bypass valve, but that only applies to canister filters, not cartridge, which is what the 3.6 uses.

After my experience with a 2009 Kia Forte, I stick to OEM until the warranty is up. Aftermarket filters cause a certain amount of oil starvation in that generation 2.4, causing valvetrain noise and eventual damage.

Since you're not under warranty anymore, you can use what you like without fear of warranty denial, but the threat of engine damage still looms if the filter you choose doesn't meet the flow requirements. Not worth it to me, since most OEM filters can be had at a comparable price to aftermarket if you shop in the right places. I bought a case of ACDelco filters for my Canyon in 2016, and am still working my way through it.

There was a TSB warning that non-OEM filters may not meet GM specs in regard to the psi rating of the bypass valve, but that only applies to canister filters, not cartridge, which is what the 3.6 uses.

After my experience with a 2009 Kia Forte, I stick to OEM until the warranty is up. Aftermarket filters cause a certain amount of oil starvation in that generation 2.4, causing valvetrain noise and eventual damage.

Since you're not under warranty anymore, you can use what you like without fear of warranty denial, but the threat of engine damage still looms if the filter you choose doesn't meet the flow requirements. Not worth it to me, since most OEM filters can be had at a comparable price to aftermarket if you shop in the right places. I bought a case of ACDelco filters for my Canyon in 2016, and am still working my way through it.
Thinking there are both out there - our 2018 3.6L has a PF63E … same as our 5.3L …

Thought so - they have a pretty high bypass setting and have posted on other engines too.
Do you know if that engine has a variable displacement oil pump ?
That I’m not sure of

PF63E cut open on left

D4CE1698-D07B-49B5-BB9D-2C831C797789.jpeg

Been using NAPA/Wix filters on my 08 Malibu LTZ 3.6 and 2015 GMC Terrain DENALI 3.6 since day one, never heard of such Bulletin. ;)

Depending on the 3.6 it can be a cannister or spin on. In any event, the AC DELCO filter is not mandatory.

Back