Chevron Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was purusing the Chevron website and came across their synthetic. Not a whole lot of info there so decided to search for it here. Not coming up with anything. Anyone have experience/opinions on it? With their Supreme dino held in such high regard, I was wondering if the same would apply to the synth.

The MSDS sheet leaves some wiggle room as to whether the Chevron Synthetic is a Group III or PAO synthetic. It list both with an OR statement between them. Tough to say whether its worth the $4 a qt it is usually priced at around here.

It is on there website under the motor oil on the left side, then under related links, Data sheets, then search for "s" and supreme comes up. Then you have to open the PDF file. The synthetic 5w-30 pours at -62f WOW!

I think their 5W-40 oil is a good product since it meets the ACEA A3 and B3 spec but the 5W-30 and the 10W-30 don't meet the ACEA A3, B3 or A5, B5 spec so I am not sure they are all that good (5W-30 and 10W-30). My local AutoZone has the Chevron 5W-40 for only $3.37 a quart but they have been out of stock for about six months!
mad.gif

If Chevron 5W-40 will flow at -62 degrees, it seems to me that it has to have some PAO or ester it in. And at four bucks a quart, we probably should be taking a closer look at it.

After all, their conventional oil is considered to be one of the best conventional motor oils there is. Maybe the synthetic, at least the 5W-40 synthetic, is a sleeper.

Mystic, I agree that the Chevron Synthetic 5W-40 may very well have some PAO in it. Johnny stated in one of his posts that Pennzoil European Formulation 5W-40 has 30% PAO in it. That oil also has great specs. If you can buy any of the 5W-40 ACEA rated A3, B3 or B4 oils for $4.00 or less per quart then that seems like a great deal.

Somebody needs to do a VOA on it. I may do one myself, but I can't ever remember seeing Chevron 5W-40 synthetic oil at the Checker Auto Parts Store. I know they have the 10W-30 and probably 5W-30 synthetic, but I am just not sure about the 5W-40. Where do you find this oil, anyway? Only in Europe?

Another oil I might do a VOA on is Mystik. My Dad told me it was a good oil (he used Conoco because Conoco was cheaper), and two mechanics told me that they will not use anything but Mystik. I kind of would like to know if it is really so good.

Mystic,

The Checker I use in the Springs doesn't have the 5W40 either. Never heard of Mystik...what is it?

[ August 02, 2003, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

I have never seen Chevron 5W-40 synthetic at a Checker Auto Parts Store, either. The guys in the above posts mention that you can find it at AutoZone Stores for about $3.50. If it is a good oil and available at that price, it might be worth a look. Certainly the Chevron conventional oil is good-perhaps the best conventional oil available.

Mystik is an oil that is more commonplace in Oklahoma and probably Texas than here in Colorado. Kind of hard to find around here except at farm and ranch stores. Mystik is used somewhat in big trucks and construction equipment, but it can be used in cars and light trucks also. My Dad was a mechanic and I guess he became familiar with Mystik because it was being used in big trucks and construction equipment. My Dad worked as a mechanic for a trucking company, worked as an operating engineer for a construction company, worked as a car and truck mechanic, and worked at a used car dealership as a mechanic after he retired. I know two mechanics who will use nothing but Mystik. One used Mystik in his racing cars and another is 83 years old and still working as a mechanic, and he will not use any oil but Mystik unless a person brings in their own oil.

Oh, I also know of another mechanic with over thirty years experience and he says that the top three conventional oils are Valvoline, Mystik, and Chevron. Kind of hard to agree with that Valvoline choice, based on what people here have discovered. On the other hand, there are a HUGE number of professional mechanics who swear by Valvoline. Based on what people have discovered here, you would need to add the Valvoline Engine Protector to conventional Valvoline to bring it up to the others, unless we are missing something.

I am guessing that professional mechanics have been influenced by advertising when it comes to Valvoline. I know I was-I switched to Valvoline because so many mechanics said it was great.

I know of still another mechanic who specializes in small cars who tells people to use Valvoline in cars and Mystik in big trucks. It is rather amazing that Mystik seems to be so well known by mechanics, considering that it is hard to find in most stores.

offtopic.gif
You know I just thought of a great combination that would just have to work...ahem..."magic" in your engine...Mystic motor oil and Marvel Mystery Oil. How could you miss with that combo? Mystic, with a call sign like yours you couldn't mys...er miss, either.
grin.gif

[ August 02, 2003, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Mystic is another of Citgo's rebranded oils. Popular in certain areas of the country. Oftentimes sold at the same reatilers that carry Citgo products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back