Chevron Supreme vs. Sup Syn in Acura TSX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a Acura TSX. The factory oil is in and I am changing @ 5K. I have read the posts about the break-in oil and I believe I will wait and change at 5K and am now debating using Chevron Supreme 5w30 every 5K or Supreme Synthethic @ 10K after the break-in oil is changed.

My father-in-law is a Chevron jobber and I can score the oil pretty cheap. The warranty would be satisfied with either set up, so my question is which oil would be better for the long term health of my auto? Thank you

I haven't used the chevron synthetic , but I've used the havoline synthetic a lot. I belive they are virtually identical. Excellent oil IMO. and if you don't mind the extra cash its not much of a decision. Go with the synthetic. Some suggestions: Wait until you get 10k on it before going synthetic. I wouldn't run That particular oil past 7k without a UOA. ( i changed at at 6k in my ford trucks but I abuse them) It probably will make 10k oci's but I'd be sure about it.

NICE CAR! Do yourself a favor and use Mobil 1. I believe it is the best all around oil and works great in a car like the tsx. I hope to purchase one of these cars in the future but building a house right now. I would do an oil analysis after 6000 miles to see how it is doing but should be good for 10,000.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
When did Honda begin recognizing synthetic oils for extended oil changes (10,000 miles) under warranty?

For the 03 Accord 4-cyl and I'm sure others, 10,000 mile is recommended for "normal" driving and 5,000 miles is for "severe" driving, both for dino and syn 5w20 oil. The 03 Accord V6 is 75% of that. So 10,000 miles is not considered extended by Honda.

[ January 08, 2004, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: MikeySoft ]

Lucky, based on all I've seen on this site, The Chevron changed twice as often will give you significantly lower wear than M1 pushed to its limit.

If the cost to you matters a great deal, the Chevron will be cheaper as well.

Easy choice.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

Cost doesn't matter - I just want to use a Chevron product because that is what my father-in-law sells. The Chevron Supreme looks like a good oil from the UOAs posted on this board. I guess it would be a II+. The Supreme Synthetic is a Group III oil from what I gather.

We're not sure if Chevron is a II+ or not ... the consensus is that it's not but there are conflicting bits of information ... even "official" ones disagree.

The synthetic is almost 100% likely to be a Group III.

For short to moderate drains, it's hard to beat for cost effectiveness.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

If you are going with Chevron. I agree with Bror. Its a no brainer. Chevron Supreme 4-5K miles depending on the UOA.
smile.gif

I've posted several analisis of the Chevron Supreme Synthetic, will have 2 or 3 more next week. It's doing very well here with 10,000 km intervals in Toyota and Mitsubishi pickups. I've also had very nice results with the Regular Supreme, which is the ISOSYN product (Group II+) although I usually only run that 6,000 to 7,000 km in my two Ford pickups.
Either one will give you great results.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I was able to get a six pack of Chevron Supreme Synthetic 5w30 for $18 and I will try that next. I was also tempted to try a 50-50 blend of Supreme and Supreme Synthetic, but I am going to use the Supreme Synthetic for now (with the OEM filter).

Consider the Chevron Supreme 5w-20. It's a group III/II+ oil, has a generous dose of moly, and a 460degF flashpoint. I'm seriously considering this as my summer oil instead of M1 0w-20 in my RSX. It's less than $12 for a six pack.

[ January 24, 2004, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: Jay ]

Chevron is a great choice. For 5k mile intervals, I don't think you'll see too much of a difference btw the two. Chevron might even beat. M1 0w-20 is an excellent oil however.

quote:

Originally posted by Jay:
Consider the Chevron Supreme 5w-20. It's a group III/II+ oil, has a generous dose of moly, and a 460degF flashpoint. I'm seriously considering this as my summer oil instead of M1 0w-20 in my RSX. It's less than $12 for a six pack.

I was told that Honda is specific about 5w30 for this vehicle. Which oil is your RSX supposed to get? I know that the 5w30 will shear down to a 20 weight anyway, but I don't want any grief about the warranty.

If Honda specs 5w-30 for this car then you should probably stay with that at least until you have a good baseline of UOAs on 30-weight to compare to. My RSX gets 20-weight.

I think (as many here do) that the Chev Supreme/Havoline is an excellent choice and bargain. I only had one UOA done with it from my f150 but I was very happy with the results. All other UOA with Chev Sup show very good wear numbers. I have the Havoline Synth (same as Chevron) in now and I'll do a UOA when drain time comes but I'm not sure I would push it to 10K miles.

I see you've already filled with the synth. I would love to see a UOA from your vehicle with that oil.

BTW......congrats on the new car! Very nice automobile!!!

Mikep

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:

I see you've already filled with the synth. I would love to see a UOA from your vehicle with that oil.

BTW......congrats on the new car! Very nice automobile!!!

Mikep [/QB]

Thanks - they will sell anything to anybody in exchange for a little payment book. My wife insisted I get a "respectable" 4-door, and this is the one we picked. I do like it.
I haven't changed the oil yet- it just cracked 1k this week. Acura/Honda says that the factory oil is a special "break-in" oil and they encourage at least 5k on it. I am going to go Supreme Synthetic then though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back