Chevron Supreme vs. Havoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Eastexan,

Blackstone did a good job and 2 more test kits showed up magically in my mailbox yesterday. So Monday, I will be sending off a virgin sample of the Havoline 10W30 dino that I just put in my Ranger. That way we can have a baseline reading on file on the newer Havoline stuff and compare it to the corresponding Chevron stuff
smile.gif

I'll post the results as soon as I get them in, probably next week sometime
cheers.gif

I am currently using Chevron Supreme. After looking at the respective Chevron Supreme and current Havoline MSDSs and PDSs, I wouldn't hesitate to use the Havoline or even mix on the road for top-up, if necessary. As mikemc indicated, the difference (if it even really exists - could be production run variations or a typo, too), of +0.2 greater TBN for Havoline across all viscosity ranges, is insignificant.

I will be waiting to see this voa on the Havoline 10-30 for sure.

Chevron is too hard to find around here. Havoline is everywhere and always has the consistantly low price, but Pennzoil and Castrol have promotions that make them lower cost also.

I hear lots of good things about Chevron/Texaco here, but I'm puzzled that the only uoa I saw had such a low flash point??

Heck, the old Havoline was pretty good stuff, at least my old 87 pickup still thinks so.

I used to be a Valvoline guy years ago. Then I used Pennzoil, and finally Castrol. Seems like the main decent one is Pennzoil, but I have heard from a few on this site that it thins kinda quickly. I now have been using the Super Tech from Walmart for about 2 years, but now that I have got some great advice from this site, I am going full blown Chevron Supreme.

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:
Go to www.chevron.com and look at the safety data sheets and also the product data sheets and compare them. I decided that any difference is trivial so I use Havoline as its easier to find here.

-------------------------------------------------

There is also some interesting reading under the Q&A section of that website about the merger and their use of the Havoline/Texaco brand names. Apparently Equilon is keeping some control of the Texaco name. At least that's what I got out of it. I had to go somewhere and didn't read it as carefully as I should have.

Where I live, I'm in the same situation. Havoline is everywhere and Chevron is nowhere. I found Chevron by looking in the yellow pages under oil distributors. The price per case was reasonable so I bought a case to try. So far I'm extremely pleased with the Chevron. I have less oil consumption and engine noise compared to the Mobil 1 I was using. The real test will be when I do an oil analysis comparing the two.

I wouldn't hesitate to use Havoline if you can't find the Chevron since I don't think there is much difference between the two.

Wayne

From all the good publicity Chevron Supreme is getting on this board, I have thought about switching over to it, but have had a hard time finding it in this area. I have heard on this board that Havoline is the same as Chevron now, since they are made by the same company. But that statement in itself doesn't make it absolute, since Pennzoil & Quaker State are now made by the same company, but have been shown to still have different formula's. Since Havoline is easily available here, I would like to know if it is indeed the same as Chevron
dunno.gif
. Havoline is well thought of on this board also, so I still may go with it, even if they are not the same.
Just wondering
smile.gif
thanks.

There is also some interesting reading under the Q&A section of that website about the merger and their use of the Havoline/Texaco brand names. Apparently Equilon is keeping some control of the Texaco name. At least that's what I got out of it. I had to go somewhere and didn't read it as carefully as I should have. [/QB][/QUOTE]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry guys, the merger info I was referring to, is the Q&A in the ChevronTexaco website (www.chevrontexaco.com).
pat.gif

From what we have been able to gather, the base oil package is now the same for both oils, Chevron Supreme and Texaco Havoline. There is a slight differnce in additive packages, in that Havoline uses some magnesium where Chevron does not. The slight difference in TBN's likely is a result of this.

Use either and smile!

As far as the Texaco / Chevron merger goes for anything but gasoline, ChevronTexaco retained the rights to the Texaco brand. They had to share it with Motiva/Shell, who once produced a sizable portion of Texaco branded lubricants under the "Equilon" partnership with Texaco. After the merger, Texaco lubricants could be marketed by both ChevronTexaco and Shell until last spring. At that time, ChevronTexaco got full rights to the Texaco lubricants.

Gasoline is another story that I won't bother with here.

quote:

Originally posted by Eastexan:
Apparently Equilon is keeping some control of the Texaco name.

Nope. Equilon maintained a contractual right to also use the "Havoline" name for, I believe, two years subsequent to the Chevron and Texaco merger. It made for some confusion since there were two outwardly nearly identical "Havoline" motor oil products on shelves. The back of the bottles correctly identified who the actual blender was, but, outside of oil geeks, who reads the backs of motor oil bottles?... Chevron also sponsored the U.S. Olympic team, so the ChevronTexaco product featured the "Olympic" logo on the front of their bottles as further differentiation. But, again, who really noticed? Anyway, Equilon's right to market their flavor of "Havoline" passed several months ago, which might explain the brief appearance of Equilon "Havoline" product at Pig Lots stores on the east coast and midwest for awhile as the magic date approached. The name "Havoline" is now firmly under the exclusive control of ChevronTexaco.

[ January 04, 2004, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back