Chevron Supreme Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I e-mailed Chevron tech and they admitted that the latest formulation for Supreme Synthetic is a group III basestock. They also stated that its pour point remained at -62F (5w30). Castol Syntec 5w30 pours at -38, how can Chevron get thier pour point down so low with a petrol base?

They are using a basestock with a low molecular weight and adding a fair amount of VI modifier (polymer) to achieve the high temp viscosity characteristics. I'd bet the evaporation rate is fairly high(?) - that is the tradeoff to this approach.

TooSlick

Pepper,taking into fact of where you live I can understand your concerns.

IMO this new tech oil base has not shown to burn off any quicker than any other oil.It has just now shown up. I do agree the lesser amount of VI improvers the better off a motor is in a hot climate but have doubts of negative effects in the winters up there.
Curious to know what is available where you live brand wise? If Phillips is,they have a obvious very good oil on paper as far as cold crank goes and more about 1000-1600 less cold crank pressure than some others in the 10/30 dino and they make a 5/30 synthetic"group III" as well

dragboat, no Phillips up here. Chevron, Citgo, Pennzoil, Union 76, Castrol. Mobil1, but in Sept. you can't find it anywhere as everyone starts changing over to synthetic for the winter. I used Mobil1 for years then switched to the Chevron syn because of cost. However they just changed to group III recentley. BTW we have not recieved the new Supersyn yet, all the stores still stock trisynthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back