Chevron Supreme synthetic oil? What happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading some of the archives from 02/03 and people discussing Chevron Supreme synthetic 5W30 and 10W30. Why was is take off the market? Or changed to another name? There are multiple threads referring to this oil as synthetic, so it's not a typo? Although, I was young, I remember Chevron Supreme synthetic the more I think about it.

you are right! Supreme and conventional shouldn't go together unless you are a salesman
shocked2.gif
grin2.gif

They purchased Texaco at some point in the early 00's I believe. I remember reading about havoline synthetic from the same era, and that it was full Pao. Was in a blue bottle.

The only synthetic Chevron is their HDEO line AFAIK. As stated above, it's now merged into Havoline ProDS. Havoline's syn used to be more readily available at good prices with Advance offering a $19.99 filter and 5QT oil deal at one time....

It's been a slow transition...but, in North America anyways, all consumer and car grade products are transitioning to the more widely known Havoline brand while the diesel and more commercial products will be the more widely accepted (commercially) Chevron and Delo branding. For example, all our Dexron VI stuff from Chevron is now all branded Havoline with a small Chevron logo on the back of the bottles. The Havoline fleet diesel and other oils are slowly disappearing out of the commercial product catalog leaving the Chevron branded stuff.

So, basically just marketing schmoo geniuses trying to earn their pay by kepping it "fresh".

Here's something interesting; little over a year ago havoline disappeared from my local aap, as it did from most of their stores I presume, and I figured havoline was slowly going away. Then they introduced their six quart e-packs at Walmart, and it appears their replacing Chevron supreme with havoline. I was in a Chevron station a few weeks ago and all the supreme was replaced with havoline. Now I've known supreme and havoline have been very similar if not exactly the same for some time, but I wasn't aware that Chevron seems to be flagshipping havoline until recently.

Originally Posted by Red91
Here's something interesting; little over a year ago havoline disappeared from my local aap, as it did from most of their stores I presume, and I figured havoline was slowly going away. Then they introduced their six quart e-packs at Walmart, and it appears their replacing Chevron supreme with havoline. I was in a Chevron station a few weeks ago and all the supreme was replaced with havoline. Now I've known supreme and havoline have been very similar if not exactly the same for some time, but I wasn't aware that Chevron seems to be flagshipping havoline until recently.

Not to hijack red91, but my Rural King has Havoline conventional

Almost every gas station in Alabama has havoline, regardless of what gas they sell. It's no longer at aap or az(not sure if az had it anyway?) And I think even O'Reilly stopped carrying it. However, last time I checked my local Napa had it and I just bought a case at a local mom n pop auto parts store, who are part of the federated auto parts franchise. I know there's a wholesaler out of rainbow city who handles it(because I used to buy it from them) and of course Walmart has the six quart boxes. It's out there if you look around a little bit, but for awhile I thought it was disappearing. As another poster said, it used to be a great oil change special at aap, both in conventional and synthetic, and I was surprised they dropped it. Of course they dropped Quaker state too if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah you are right...

It was not cool that AAP dropped the Havoline full synthetic from their stores... I really liked getting that special from there with the Havoline full synthetic. And yeah they dropped QS has well.

Originally Posted by Red91
That's the only place I ever saw havoline synthetic. I have yet to come across it anywhere else. Not even Walmart.

The only place around here with Havoline Synthetic is ORiley's.

There several distributors for Chevron in Alabama. None of them have Havoline Synthetic. One even does not sell Chevron PCMO's instead it sells a Duramax brand engine oil. Whatever that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back