Chevron supreme motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read a review that someone stated the supreme 5w20 and 5w30 are synthetic blends. I cant find this info myself, msds says high quality mineral oil..

The Product Info sheer they posted in my thread (I had the same question) says blend.

Post 2
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4806721/Re:_2013_F150_5.0_oil_and_IOLM#Post4806721

Last edited:
Many oil MFG web sites even state in their PDS that the 5W20 & 5W30 conventional oils are in fact synthetic blend(ed). And their 10W30 & 10W40 DO NOT state this.

Of course they don't say how much of a blend they are but the do indeed say it. However, I would assume the their particularly marketed "SYNTHETIC BLEND" oils have more synthetic oil in the mix.

IIRC, in a similar discussion, I even posted the links to several oil companies web sites and highlighted this in both grades(5W20 & 5W30) oil. And again, the 10W's DID NOT.

I thought I read somewhere that the oil companies have to state 'Synthetic Blend' on the jug, if the content is +10%.

Many 5Ws need a little synthetic these days, to meet strict government specs.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
I thought I read somewhere that the oil companies have to state 'Synthetic Blend' on the jug, if the content is +10%.

I too think Chevron makes good products … but they are getting a bit creative with the “Isosyn” term on Delo … when you see that on 15w40 for $13/jug … ya reckon there is much synthetic in that?

Chevron data sheet says 5Wx30 is Syn blend. But it didn't say that for 10Wx30
This is as of few months ago on their web site when I checked.
Like Triple_se7en says maybe it's only %2 ... The 5wx30 container doesn't say syn blend.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

I too think Chevron makes good products … but they are getting a bit creative with the “Isosyn” term on Delo … when you see that on 15w40 for $13/jug … ya reckon there is much synthetic in that?

ISOSYN ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY

ISOSYN Advanced Technology is the combination of Chevron’s outstanding formulating expertise, unique high performance additive chemistry and premium base oils that helps extend the durability of critical diesel engine parts.

Delo 400 products formulated with ISOSYN Advanced Technology can provide improved engine longevity, extended oil drain performance, and excellent diesel component parts protection, helping to extend vehicle life and minimize total cost of ownership when compared with previous generation Chevron HDMO formulations.

ISOSYN Advanced Technology benefits customers by helping to provide:
• Up to 35% improved oil oxidation control*
• Up to 68% improved wear protection*
• Up to 64% improved piston deposit control*
*Results will vary based on the particular Delo 400 product, operating conditions, and engine
types. Always follow OEM recommendations and utilize used oil analysis testing when extending oil drain intervals.

FUNCTIONS
Delo 400 SDE SAE 15W-40 with ISOSYN Advanced Technology helps keep rings clean and free for maximum combustion pressure and minimal wear. Delo 400 SDE SAE 15W-40 minimizes valve and piston crown land deposits, thereby maintaining minimal oil consumption. Its high level of ashless dispersants keep fuel soot in suspension and help avoid filter plugging, heavy cylinder head sludge, abrasive polishing wear, high viscosity increase, and oil gelling. These problems can result in excessive engine wear and bearing failure on startup, without prior indication to the operator. Specially selected oxidation inhibitors control oxidation, sludge, and undue thickening during oil drain periods.

Delo 400 SDE SAE 15W-40’s unique antiwear additive protects against valve train wear and scuffing of highly loaded parts operating under boundary lubrication. A specially selected viscosity index improver ensures easy flow at low temperatures and excellent film protection in hot engine areas.

The combination of premium dispersant additives and ISOSYN Advanced Technology allows Delo 400 SDE SAE 15W-40 to effectively disperse soot and keep it in suspension. This minimizes the risk of valve train wear, lever polishing, and filter plugging.

I'm not a Pennzoil or Quaker state guy, if i had to I'd choose one it would be Quaker state. Much rather Formula shell

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
I'm not a Pennzoil or Quaker state guy, if i had to I'd choose one it would be Quaker state. Much rather Formula shell

Yellow bottle sells the best and has sold the best for decades. Proof of being #1 and the best conventional, is consecutivee longetivity at #1.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Many oil MFG web sites even state in their PDS that the 5W20 & 5W30 conventional oils are in fact synthetic blend(ed). And their 10W30 & 10W40 DO NOT state this.

Of course they don't say how much of a blend they are but the do indeed say it. However, I would assume the their particularly marketed "SYNTHETIC BLEND" oils have more synthetic oil in the mix.

IIRC, in a similar discussion, I even posted the links to several oil companies web sites and highlighted this in both grades(5W20 & 5W30) oil. And again, the 10W's DID NOT.
Originally Posted By: OilUzer
Chevron data sheet says 5Wx30 is Syn blend. But it didn't say that for 10Wx30
This is as of few months ago on their web site when I checked.
Like Triple_se7en says maybe it's only %2 ... The 5wx30 container doesn't say syn blend.

^^^
I'm thinking that if a conventional oils label doesn't particularly say "Syn/Blend", then the amount of synthetic in the mix is below the required amount to legally state that it is such(could just be marketing)?
Where as a labeled Syn/Blend has the minimum required amount of synthetic in the mix to be labeled as such?

IDK, MotorCraft labels their regular 5W20 & 5W30 oils as a Syn/Blend! Maybe they have that little bit more syn in the mix?

Last edited:
There is no legal threshold where after a certain % it can be called a semi-syn or blend.

Also of interest, Castrol GTX Ultraclean makes no reference to being either a Conventional or Blend on the label. PDS say 5W-20/30 are blends.

Chevron puts out high quality products. Use them if they meet the specs with confidence.

Almost any semi-modern engine will run fine on Chevron Supreme well past 200,000 miles. Been there , done that. It's one of the best conventional oils out there. 5,000 mile oil changes were the norm for me
smile.gif

All weights of Chevron Supreme are excellent motor oils with healthy additive packages. I run it exclusively in my GM V-8 engines during the warmer months in Alaska and Wisconsin -- never a problem. It's great oil for the price.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back