Chevron Supreme API SN Plus vs API SN

I've been using Chevron Supreme 5w30 API SN for a few years. I'd pick it up by the case from Costco and have been happy with it in my 94 Ford van, 351 Windsor, 276,000 mi.
I just picked up a case from Walmart and saw that it is now, API SN Plus. Are the changes in formulation significant? I know that the change was for use in turbocharged applications. Should I just stick with it, like I always have, or shop for a different dino oil?

SN+ will work fine in any engine. Plain SN used in a turbo with possible LSPI issues not a good idea however.

It is a fine oil... Just lower calcium and more magnesium formula. And if it's like Havoline it has a good amount of molybdenum near 200 ppm and boron over 100 ppm too.
173 ppm moly and 108 ppm Boron according to my latest analysis on my bulk tank at work which is SN+

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 123
Walmart is out of the Chevron Supreme conventional 5w30. It has gotten me this far. (280k 3k oci) The only reason I care so much is I am trying to sqeeze every mile I can from this van. Saving a couple of bucks on oil isn't important. Let my education begin! High mileage? Synthetic blends? Better conventionals?

I could be mis-informed but it is my understanding that Chevron Supreme is a synthetic blend oil. Where I used to live it was easy to find. I have moved and it is not as easy to locate. Wal-Mart gets it on rare occasions. I think it is returns from mail orders that get put onto the shelf. Costco seems to not have it like they used to. The last jug I had got used up a few months ago from my stash. If I could get it I would use it a lot more. It is easy to get other good oils so I don't really try very hard to find the Chevron Supreme. What I use now is ST synthetic oil.

I was at walmart and chevron Supreme is API SP now. Maybe that's old stock? In 5w20 and 5w30 it said syn blend, only 10w30 lacked the syn blend nomenclature. I assume 10w30 is conventional. I might run this next time for 3-5k but its hard to justify over supertech/Kirkland for around the same price.

Last edited:
Yesterday, Walmart online had it listed for $9.99 per 5-qt jug. Obviously, CS 5W-30 was/is out-of-stock. That jug is de-listed today. :(

It's my summer truck and top-off oil. Even though it does perform well in cold weather, I reach for certain full-syn oils then, like Mobil and Castrol 0W-40 oil.

Last edited:
Yesterday, Walmart online had it listed for $9.99 per 5-qt jug. Obviously, CS 5W-30 was/is out-of-stock. That jug is de-listed today. :(

It's my summer truck and top-off oil. Even though it does perform well in cold weather, I reach for certain full-syn oils then, like Mobil and Castrol 0W-40 oil.

On their site, if you order the 3, 6, 9, 12 pack of 5qt 5w30, the picture of the jug showed SN oil. If you buy individually, it showed the newer SP formula. I ordered the last/one of the last 12 packs of it ( $9.95-$9.99). When I checked it today, all gone (except individual). Hopefully the bottles match which what was pictured, but if not I'll still be happy. The newer formulation is more group III to group II 60/40? vs older SN formulation of 80/20 group II/III? Not sure how accurate that is, remember reading that somewhere.link .Should be arriving today. I'll post a stash pic later. It sucks Chevron is phasing it out and going with just Havoline brand. Chevron Supreme has been my go to oil for years.

If you want to stick with a Chevron product why not consider something like Delo XLE 10w30? It is SN PLUS as a HDEO rated equally for gasoline engine usage. I think I may give this stuff a try in my Hyundai GDI in the future.

If you want to stick with a Chevron product why not consider something like Delo XLE 10w30? It is SN PLUS as a HDEO rated equally for gasoline engine usage. I think I may give this stuff a try in my Hyundai GDI in the future.
I might. Also looking into maybe running Rotella as well.

I might. Also looking into maybe running Rotella as well.
Rotella GT 5W-30 is good oil. I've run both it and QSUD in my Chevy vehicles -- no problem.

In fact, RGT has somewhat more PPM of add-pack substances than QSUD. Both run quietly.

I've said this before but I'll say it once more...

I'm not real sure a low end GIII + GII makes a better finished product than GII+. I do know Chevron uses a lot of GII+.

SP formula. No problem. Still tastes good. About $1.33/qt after everything said and done since the order got replaced for free due to shipping/leaking issues. Ended up getting 6 extra jugs for free, and 3 free jugs of Rotella too!

Last edited:
Back