Chevron Supreme 5w-30, 9824 miles, 1995 Geo Prizm 1.8 Liter 7AFE at 172,639

Summary:
Engine : Toyota 1.8L 7AFE
Filter : Purolator PremiumPlus L14476
Oil: Chevron Supreme 5w-30 SM-Grade
Sample Date: 10/27/07

Total Miles: 172,639 miles
Interval: 9,824 miles
Duration: 3/29/07-10/27/07 212 days(~7 months)
Make-up Oil: 10 quarts
Blackstone Labs

This Sample / Vehicle Averages / Universal Averages

Aluminum 1 / 2 / 2
Chromium 0 / 1 / 1
Iron 9 / 8 / 6
Copper 6 / 4 / 4
Lead 0 / 1 / 2
Tin 0 / 0 / 0
Molybdenum 345 / 151 / 103
Nickel 0 / 0 / 0
Manganese 0 / 0 / 0
Silver 0 / 0 / 0
Titanium 0 / 0 / 0
Potassium 0 / 1 / 1
Boron 27 / 39 / 48
Silicon 4 / 4 / 6
Sodium 0 / 5 / 5
Calcium 1489 / 2443 / 2414
Magnesium 3 / 11 / 20
Phosphorus 550 / 744 / 743
Zinc 651 / 886 / 890
Barium 0 / 0 / 0

Viscosity-SUS 59.8 Should be 56-63 per Blackstone for this oil
Viscosity-cSt 10.16 Should be 9.1-11.3 per Blackstone
Flashpoint 360F Should be >365F FLAGGED
Fuel Trace Should be Antifreeze 0.0
Water 0.0
Insolubles 0.5%
TBN: 3.5

Blackstone commented on the consumption during this run. Consumption was light around the first 4,000 miles or so and was heavy for about 3,000 miles and then light again for the rest of the interval. The weather(in the 80's) and driving conditions(~90% highway) didn't change much when the consumption started to level off. I'll be watching it carefully though but it seems that if it doesn't get much worse than this 1qt/1000 miles I think I will leave things alone as far as consumption concerns go. Iron has been higher in a previous sample, copper is up a tad(still a single digit though), moly is higher as expected due to the chevron supreme. I was actually expecting to see wear levels a little bit higher with this duration using dino oil but the results seem pleasant to me.

What do you guys think?

10 qts of makeup is alot. I assume you have auto-rx this engine? wonder what toyota did to this engine to consume so much. is it the rings? my 06 vibe 1.8L hasn't consumed any oil so far.

Capacity is about 4 qts, right? Essentially you "changed" your oil twice. That much consumption can’t be good……and I always wonder how much of the wear metals get into the combustion chamber, etc. OTOH, just keep driving, no need to change the oil………did you do a AutoRx?

No. I didn't do use AutoRx. I have used LC in the past and things are a bit cleaner after using it, although the consumption didn't seem to be affected by it. Running Mobil1 15w-50 brought the consumption down to about 1/2 quart per 1,000 miles. I posted a picture when I took the valve cover off, it's super clean inside this engine although the rings could be a different story and I'm not the first owner either so I don't know it's past. I've done a search and discussed this amongst the forums and it seems that for this specific engine AutoRx hasn't helped with the consumption. The spark plugs are clean when I pull them out. When I look in the spark plug hole with a bright light I can see the top of the piston and it doesn't look carboned up. When I checked the compression the cylinders were even and the compression was nearly new spec. I've had people drive behind me with both the engine cold and warm, no smoke could be found. It seems to consume more when I'm taking highway trips. No oil puddles on the ground. Other than pouring a quart in every 1,000 miles or so, things seem fine.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Capacity is about 4 qts, right?

Yes, 4 quarts.

Last edited:
Capacity is about 4 qts, right? Essentially you "changed" your oil twice. That much consumption can’t be good……and I always wonder how much of the wear metals get into the combustion chamber, etc. OTOH, just keep driving, no need to change the oil………did you do a AutoRx?

I was gonna say about the same thing. Prob the reason your wear numbers were low was because u kept changing the oil by adding the amount of makeup oil u did.

Originally Posted By: MN Driver
No. I didn't do use AutoRx. I have used LC in the past and things are a bit cleaner after using it, although the consumption didn't seem to be affected by it. Running Mobil1 15w-50 brought the consumption down to about 1/2 quart per 1,000 miles. I posted a picture when I took the valve cover off, it's super clean inside this engine although the rings could be a different story and I'm not the first owner either so I don't know it's past. I've done a search and discussed this amongst the forums and it seems that for this specific engine AutoRx hasn't helped with the consumption. The spark plugs are clean when I pull them out. When I look in the spark plug hole with a bright light I can see the top of the piston and it doesn't look carboned up. When I checked the compression the cylinders were even and the compression was nearly new spec. I've had people drive behind me with both the engine cold and warm, no smoke could be found. It seems to consume more when I'm taking highway trips. No oil puddles on the ground. Other than pouring a quart in every 1,000 miles or so, things seem fine.

Capacity is about 4 qts, right?

Yes, 4 quarts.

If it were my car, I'd run some ARX in the engine and some MMO in the fuel to see if you may have some stuck oil rings. Between the ARX in the engine and the MMO in the fuel, if you have some stuck rings, it should free them up. If the rings are cracked or wore out then they will need to be replaced. I wouldn't thicken up the weight of the oil to keep the consumption down because you will be giving up "start up" protection because the oil will not flow that fast when u need it the most. Fix the problem don't mask it. Unless you plan on getting rid of the car soon then who cares, use Crisco 0w-10 in it.

Auto-RX to make the engine clean, LC to keep it clean. I suggest grabbing a bottle of A-RX and use it as per the directions. Once the rinse phase of A-RX has completed, then go back to using LC.

Here's a differing approach: put some Mobil 1 10w-30 high mileage in it with a mobil 1 filter, change the filter at 10,000 miles, and just leave the oil in there and keep topping it off as you're in a perpetual oil change state with the consumption. Maybe drain the sump after 2 years.

Like you know, mine is some where near the same as far as consumption; 10w-30 Maxlife has helped a bunch, but you get kudos for leaving that oil in there that long!

My step daughter's got a '95 Prizm, but with the 1.6 4AFE with about the same miles. She's had it a little over a year and consumption was along the same lines, 1qt/1,000 miles. A couple of months ago I gave it a tune-up and put in MaxLife 5w30 synthetic along with a new PCV valve. She's about 1k miles into the run and so far the consumption is nil. Not sure if it's the oil or PCV, but something, for now, has worked.

Originally Posted By: Pat in Speedway
My step daughter's got a '95 Prizm, but with the 1.6 4AFE with about the same miles. She's had it a little over a year and consumption was along the same lines, 1qt/1,000 miles. A couple of months ago I gave it a tune-up and put in MaxLife 5w30 synthetic along with a new PCV valve. She's about 1k miles into the run and so far the consumption is nil. Not sure if it's the oil or PCV, but something, for now, has worked.

Hey the way I look at is, who cares if it was the oil that did it or the PCV valve. As long as it is better now. Good job and keep up the good work.

Quote:
If it were my car, I'd run some ARX in the engine and some MMO in the fuel to see if you may have some stuck oil rings. Between the ARX in the engine and the MMO in the fuel, if you have some stuck rings, it should free them up.

If the car gets 9-10K OCI's on a regular basis, then perhaps the ARX needs to go in there and replace the rings.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
If the car gets 9-10K OCI's on a regular basis, then perhaps the ARX needs to go in there and replace the rings.
grin2.gif

The previous OCI was a little under 6,000 miles and this would be the first to go over that point, although it was with synthetic before, now it's dino. I'm not sure quite yet how long I will run my next OCI, it seems that with this consumption I might as well run it until the weather is nice in the spring, which could be 12,000 miles or so. So far with the current OCI it's drank a quart over the first 2,000 miles so I don't know if consumption will be so bad this time, but I still think it's high enough to replace the oil over time while driving.

The next OCI will likely be some Havoline High Mileage as the bottles were 50 cent closeout at my local CSK, so I'll have my chance at the high mileage oils, and then I might go to Maxlife and see if things change, but if it doesn't I don't see a reason to use it because this 59 cent/qt oil seems to be performing quite nicely with these conditions. Even with the consumption this past oil change was under 10 bucks with the price of the oil and filter.

I have replaced the PCV valve on the car after the first OCI after I bought it and there wasn't a noticeable change in the consumption as a result of the new valve.

Ok one question, if you are burning oil this insanely...why are you not using a thicker viscosity?

Originally Posted By: Dr_No
Ok one question, if you are burning oil this insanely...why are you not using a thicker viscosity?

I haven't hit the 1qt/1,000 mile point of consumption until now and I have 3 cases of Chevron Supreme 5w30 on hand from CSK rebates. Like I said before, the use of a thicker viscosity didn't affect consumption all that much and from how looking at gas mileage averages and the low cost of this oil, it doesn't cost more to use what I am using, and the spark plugs along with what I can see of the top of the piston have remained clean so it doesn't seem to be a problem yet, merely a small annoyance that I deal with every 500 miles or so. I might have considered putting a thicker oil in there for this OCI, but when I went to work earlier this week the temps were well below freezing, so I'd rather not put anything thicker in, at least during this part of the year. Like I said before I have some Havoline High Mileage, most of the quarts are 10w40 so that will be the start of the OCI so things will be a little thicker come the warmer weather oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back