Chevron Supreme 5w30 15185mi 95Prizm Toyota 7AFE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since MN Driver has the new intake setup where the hose goes up to the the port on the intake, I think putting a length of hose in line of larger diameter might work best. Splice in some 5/8 inch hose, or try and get 5/8 inch hose to clamp on the PCV valve and the port on the intake. That would really drop the velocity.

Last edited:
Drew, thanks very much for posting the pix.

I wonder if just taking the cover off, and removing the baffle, or perhaps cutting it down around the PCV, would make a difference? I've hated the Toyota baffles for a long time -- I'm not enough of an idiot to need the thing. I will neither leave my oil fill cap off, nor will I ever try to stick a finger into the workings while the engine is running. IMO anyway, the baffle is a needless appendage, that can actually hurt things by "funneling" oil into the PCV system.

I hear ya ekpolk. On my Corolla, the baffle is right there next to the PCV valve. When you take the valve out, there is a big puddle of oil right there waiting to be sucked into the motor. On the other hand, when I replaced the grommet, the baffle saved me from having to pop the valve cover off as the grommet pushed through onto the baffle. I snatched it with some pliers.

@Drew99GT I have the 1.8L 7AFE. I'm going to be flipping it around so it faces up like yours, I just need to grab a better cutting tool to shorten the hose because if I close the hood when it is as long as it is right now it kinks the hose.

Originally Posted By: MN Driver
@Drew99GT I have the 1.8L 7AFE. I'm going to be flipping it around so it faces up like yours, I just need to grab a better cutting tool to shorten the hose because if I close the hood when it is as long as it is right now it kinks the hose.

Whoops, I thought you had the 4. I have the 7 also. Keep us posted as to whether the new PCV setup actually reduces consumption.

Have you done anything to clean the piston rings, such as Auto-RX?

"Have you done anything to clean the piston rings, such as Auto-RX?"

No I haven't, after hearing that it wasn't successfull even awhile after you rinse it didn't seem like there was any reason for it. When I took my valve cover off it was spotless and very clean inside so I figured that the benefits wouldn't have been that great. I did use LC 20 (Lube Control) back when I first got the car but with the consumption I ended up deciding to use it with other vehicles.

It is still too early to tell if it is helping, I haven't driven enough miles to really know but it looks like the oil level is the same. ...but then again only 300 miles since I made the change and the dipstick from F to L is 1.5 quarts at least.

I do however have a quart of MMO, I could try a little of that in my oil but I'm not sure what sort of dosing I would use and how long before changing it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back