Chevron Supreme 10W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, you people are 10000000% correct on the motor oil. It's been about 600+ miles since I changed the oil but it still feels like i changed it yesterday. The Jeep's 4.0L is smoother, feels more responsive and peppier on this oil (Is this due to the Moly?). The Mobil Drive Clean Plus never made the Jeep feel like this. When summer comes along, I'll try Delo 400. Thanks for the help guys! I'm also using the Motorcraft FL-1A filter so it takes about 6.3-6.4 quarts of oil now. My dad didn't know Chrysler was cheap enough to just have one filter for all their cars so he feels comfortable with this oil filter.

[ September 14, 2003, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: JeepZJ4.0 ]

Its always hard for me to understand why one oil could feel better than another oil. But-beauty is in the eye of the beholder
smile.gif

I used to use Chevron 10w-30 in my Jeep 4.0 also. But i switched to Pennzoil for the winter, and hopefully forever. I like it better. It has better cold weather properties. This is not important to you in warm Texas. How do you like the FL-1A? Has your pressure changed because of it?

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Its always hard for me to understand why one oil could feel better than another oil. But-beauty is in the eye of the beholder
smile.gif

Al,

I used to be in absolute agreement with you and was a pretty convinced skeptic--that when people reported something like this it was either wishful thinking or an active imagination--until it happened to me. When "the right oil comes along," your engine just responds differently...it is clearly noticeable.

quote:

Originally posted by JonS:
I used to use Chevron 10w-30 in my Jeep 4.0 also. But i switched to Pennzoil for the winter, and hopefully forever. I like it better. It has better cold weather properties. This is not important to you in warm Texas. How do you like the FL-1A? Has your pressure changed because of it?

The FL-1A has been good. Maybe too soon to tell. Oil pressure is slightly lower in comparison to the Purolator Premium Plus.... The Fl-1a is a Purolator Pure ONE so it filters better. I had a problem with the oil pressure going to 70 sometimes so i wanted to restrict it some... altough i think the pressure gauge is pressure from the oil pump, not pressure coming from the filter. I'll have to check. If its pressure from the pump, then the pressure drop makes the oil pressure ok... its 3-4psi lower with the FL-1A.

If you want a dino with good cold weather properties, look at Chevron/Havoline 5w30. It has the lowest CCS #'s of any 5w30 dino I have seen. This is the oil I will use in my wife's cavalier in winter, then back to 10w30 for warm weather.

Actually the Chevron is 5700 at -30c, and Pennzoil is 5400 at -30c. This is why i switched from Chevron to Pennzoil. Second is Mobil dino at 5500 at -30c.

I put Chevron Supreme 10W-30 in my Chevy (LT-6) 6.0L V8 last oil change. I noticed that it "hung in there" on viscosity till the oil life indicator came on (4700 miles). The engine ran and sounded great. The oil pressure did not indicate any shear what so ever. At the end of it's life, in 90 deg. heat it would carry 55 psi hot@ 2000 rpm, and 38 psi hot at idle (500 RPM). Just like the day I put it in fresh. This was the first oil that I ever used that did this, Mobil1 included. (WIX filter)
I changed my oil again last week and tried to find Chev. Sup. 5W-30 for winter, to no avail. I put in the 10W-30 again. This time it seemed to reduce piston slap more, so I'm very happy with this oil. Pressures stayed the same. I don't want to go to Havoline (by Chevron Texaco) for my 5W-30 because of "unscientific" reasons. ( I don't like the label ) Does Chevron Supreme come in 5W-30 flavor? One word of caution to all that use this stuff. If you get the used oil on your clothes, you can throw that item away. Not only will you NOT get the stain out, you will NOT get the smell out.....EVER!

Can I tell a difference in oils by "feel"? Well, 20W50 sure makes the engine quietier and harder to start when temps drop. 10W30 and it sounds noisy like it's falling apart. So the vis has something to do with it? Schaeffers 15W40 #7000 is in the Pontiac 400 now and I don't know, it runs well starts good, not noisy (except exhaust and a horrendous induction howl
grin.gif
) so I guess that's the ticket.

I tried Chevron Supreme after I discovered this web site. I had been using Valvoline. My engine just seemed to run great with the Chevron Supreme, throughout the entire oil change. I have always noticed that an engine seems to run better immediately after you change the oil, but with the Chevron supreme it seemed to run great throughout the ENTIRE time I had the Chevron Supreme in the engine.

Another thing I noticed was that after I cleaned my engine with Auto-RX the engine ran really good. Auto-RX was another product I discovered at this site.

I really like the Chevron oils ... and at $1 per quart, they are probably the best value going. Period.

Yes, it's available in 5W30 ... but at this time of year the stuff is awfully hard to find. When the stores like Walmart get it, it doesn't last long on the shelves.

However, I distrust the seat-of-the-pants analysis. Emotions play too strong a role in decision making ... and we can make ousrselves believe some pretty outrageous things.
wink.gif

However, UOA supports all the anecdotal evidence you folks are citing.
grin.gif

--- Bror Jace

I personally think that Chevron Supreme is the best conventional motor oil, judging from the UOAs I have seen and my own personal experience. And at about one buck a quart you simply cannot beat the price and the value.

Of course, this could change over time. One year from now or five years from now who knows what motor oil will look the best? We need this web site.

The motor oils that have pleased me the best are Chevron Supreme and Schaeffer's. The German Castrol made my engine run great too but the German Castrol is hard to find.

I was disappointed with Mobil 1 SuperSyn. And the Royal Purple UOAs here do not look too encouraging. For that matter, I have seen some poor Redline UOAs here, although I have also seen some really good Redline UOAs. Amsoil seems pretty consistent.

I don't know what the deal is with the German Castrol. I find myself looking at the Chevron Supreme and Schaeffer's.

Well, all i know is i'll be using Chevron 10W30 til summer, when i'll try out Delo 400 15W40. There's no Moly but if it has the CI-4 rating and is GF3(or some abbr. like that) certified, it must be really good.

I gave my dad my extra quart of Mobil Drive Clean Plus to put in his pressure washer.

[ September 15, 2003, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: JeepZJ4.0 ]

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:
Well, all i know is i'll be using Chevron 10W30 til summer, when i'll try out Delo 400 15W40. There's no Moly but if it has the CI-4 rating and is GF3(or some abbr. like that) certified, it must be really good.

I gave my dad my extra quart of Mobil Drive Clean Plus to put in his pressure washer.

None of the mineral 15w-40's are GF-3 oils...

As far as I know, GF-3 is just the latest fuel economy specification, which 15w-40's do not meet.

Doesn't mean they are not great oils...just that your fuel economy could go down a little bit vs. using a standard automotive oil that is:

Engineered on the thin side of it's specific weight.
Has friction modifiers to further increase fuel economy benefits.

Yes, fuel economy is important in trucking (where HDEO"S are marketed too), but long-life protection is much more important than very small gains in economy.

"Actually the Chevron is 5700 at -30c, and Pennzoil is 5400 at -30c." JonS, where did you find this data? Pennzoil's online data sheets show a cold starting spec of <6600 cp@-30 C for multigrade 5w30 dino.

quote:

Originally posted by speedybenz:
You might try the Chevron Delo 400, 0w-30 syn. It is special order but very good stuff.

Jeff

Thanks but a 0w-XX is too thin for a 4.0L I-6 Jeep engine unless it was used after break in. This engine has large oil passages anyway.

[ September 16, 2003, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: JeepZJ4.0 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back