Chevron Supreme 10W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the consensus on Chevron 10W-40 -- most people beat up on 10-40 weight oils here but Chevron is a good formulation and in the West Texas heat -- I am considering a little thicker oil than than the 10W-30 Chevron I am running now -- Checkers has it on sale again this week for .99/quart plus a rebate - I need to buy my oil for the summer soon. Thanks.

For just a little more money, you could get the Chevron delo 400 in 15w40. I think that would be my choice for a 40 weight oil in summer heat.

That's what I use in my Cherokee...so far so good.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by mehere:
What is the consensus on Chevron 10W-40 -- most people beat up on 10-40 weight oils here but Chevron is a good formulation and in the West Texas heat -- I am considering a little thicker oil......

I used to use 10w-40 by Castrol GTX. That was when I lived in New York City. 10w-40 mostly went into a 3.8 L v-6 Ford Thunderbird. The car survived 100% loss of coolant episode. After the coolant hose blew, all the oil burned off in the intense heat (I was forced to keep on driving because there was no shoulder and no turn-off). After we taped up the hose and poured 5 quarts of oil into the empty sump, we just carried on business as usual. No varnish or gunk build-up.

But for Texas, I dunno. Texas is a lot different than NY. I like monograde dinosaur HD-30 a lot better than multigrades in the TX heat. Extended driving on TX freeways in August, I just feel much better when I have monograde oil in the engine. Don't tell the auto manufacturer, though. Their manual sez to use only multigrade, preferably 10w-30.
wink.gif

I think 10W40 is a good grade.I always hear that it thins out to a 30W but if it does it thins to a thick 30W,borderline 40W.

I've used Havoline 10W40 and it doesn't burn off any faster than Delo 400 and Pennzoil LL 15W40(which giving me higher consumption).Good stuff.

I agree with using Chevron's Delo 400 15w-40 year round in Texas. Excellent add pack and it's only $1.75/qt give or take a few cents. I've used it myself, and am one of many who rave about the Delo-sytle oils in regular gas engines. You could easily extend your drains to 5000 with this oil, too.

Straight 30w / 40w oils are a good idea as well. The loca Walmart had all Havoline (Chevron) oils for 88 cents/qt, including the straight weights. Outside of cold winter climates, I don't see any benefit of running 5w or 10w anything in warm climates where the temperature seemingly never dips below 50F. Just my $.02 worth...
smile.gif

[ February 24, 2004, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: ToyotaNSaturn ]

I would take the 10W-30 over the 10W-40 any day. I don't think you would benefit from going to the 10W-40 at all. You might see reduced fuel economy is about all.

If something more robust is really needed, I too would vote for the Delo 400 in 15W-40.

I'm not a fan of conventional 10W-40's in extremely hot or hi-speed driving conditions.

10w-30 High Mileage is the way to go. It stays in grade very well, usually staying at a viscosity right at where a regular 10w-40 thins to I'd say, based on looking at many UOA results.

quote:

What is the consensus on Chevron 10W-40 -- most people beat up on 10-40 weight oils here but Chevron is a good formulation and in the West Texas heat -- I am considering a little thicker oil than than the 10W-30 Chevron I am running now -- Checkers has it on sale again this week for .99/quart plus a rebate - I need to buy my oil for the summer soon. Thanks.

What vehicle is this??

In terms of 40-weights though, I see absolutely no reason to run Chevron 10w-40 when Delo 15w-40 is such a good oil and available for such a low price...

quote:

Vehicle is a 1996 Toyota Camry LE -- 5S-FE -- 4 cylinder

Ok, this engine definitely can ran a 40-weight, and while Chevron Supreme 10w-40 is a good oil and a fine choice, I believe Delo 15w-40 is an exceptional oil that is much better than the 10w-40 Supreme, and only costs $6/gallon.

Chevron High Mileage 10W-30 is also available at Checkers for 1.99/quart -- is that equivalent to a 10W-40 conventional Chevron Supreme oil?

By no means is it the same. It just does not thin out as much as 10w-40. My point above was that most 10w-40s will end up at about 12 CST after a 3,000 mile run, exactly where 10w-30 high mileage starts out at and stays at.

What does the Toyota manual say for your climate? The old 10w-40's required a lot of polymers to achieve that spread, but newer base stocks now presumably make for a more shear-stable product.

Toyota manual just gives a Visc. chart showing the SAE grades -- oil filler cap on the engine says 10W-30. Car is out of warranty by now of course.

quote:

Anyone out there running Chevron 10W-30?

Yep run that in the bitter cold winter here and the 10W-40 in the summer. Go 7k between changes with 30 to 40min commute. So far so good. Plan to do a UOA next change.
Can anyone email me a recent VOA on the 10W-30 or 10W-40 Chevron Supreme??? [email protected]

People seem to want a thick 10W30.

10W40's seem basically like thick 10W30 in UOA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back