Chevron, Pennzoil, or Shell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A local retailer is having a sale on Chevron, Pennzoil, and Shell dino oils (all about the same price). I beleive the Chevron and Pennzoil are both hydrocracked; not sure on the Shell. If you had a choice, which would you choose?

Both Chevron and Pennzoil have posted some good UOAs. A lot of folks like the Pennzoil because of its additive package. Shell's conventional oils are an unknown because we just haven't seen many UOAs of it.

If I had to pick from those three, I'd choose Mobil 1.
gr_eek2.gif

Yeah, and if I had to choose between all three dino oils, as Hapuna Beach specified, I'd choose air or magnetic levitation bearings.
rolleyes.gif
Hapuna Beach, Chevron's techno-babble to indicate their product is hydrocracked is, "Iso-Syn". You'll see it on the bottle labeling. I believe the same holds true for Pennsy's "Pure-Base" nomenclature. I have no idea what the makeup of Shell's dino oils is, but Royal Dutch Shell is now the parent company of Pennzoil and Quaker State, so...

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
Hapuna Beach, Chevron's techno-babble to indicate their product is hydrocracked is, "Iso-Syn". You'll see it on the bottle labeling. I believe the same holds true for Pennsy's "Pure-Base" nomenclature.

Yup, it is. When Conoco and Pennzoil started their Excel Paralubes joint venture for producing base oils, they licensed Chevron's IsoSyn system. Pennzoil has even bought base oil from Chevron when the capacity of the Excel refinery couldn't meet their demands. (Of course, all this will change now that Shell owns Pennzoil. Part of that buyout dictates that Pennzoil divest itself of its interest in Excel.)

quote:

(Of course, all this will change now that Shell owns Pennzoil. Part of that buyout dictates that Pennzoil divest itself of its interest in Excel.)

Does this mean Pennzoil will go downhill?

Hard to keep up with all of these mergers... what is a good oil today could be crap in one year, and vise-versa.
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
Does this mean Pennzoil will go downhill?

Not necessarily. Shell produces perfectly good base oils, and Pennzoil was already using a proprietary version of ShellVis VI improver.

Hapuna Beach, I'm using Chevron Supreme in my Saturns as they really run well with with this oil. Far better than any others I've tried! Another board member, Mystic, has found the same positive results with his Saturns and Chevron Supreme. Hope this helps... Mike

Pennz and Chevron have had several samples analyzed and posted here, and both do well. We haven't seen much of Shell's gasoline engine oils.

Ken

[ June 30, 2003, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

I would lean towards the Pennzoil as it has moly and has posted good results. Chevron would be the second choice. You can't go wrong with either.

ToyotaNSaturn, I take it from your user name here that you own both Toyotas and Saturns. Well, my last five cars have been either Toyota or Saturn.

The first time I tried Chevron motor oil in my Saturn, it was strange-but I could actually feel a difference. And the good feeling seemed to last throughout the oil change-not just at the start. I know that is not scientific, but that is how it felt.

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:

The first time I tried Chevron motor oil in my Saturn, it was strange-but I could actually feel a difference. And the good feeling seemed to last throughout the oil change-not just at the start. I know that is not scientific, but that is how it felt.

I couldn't agree with you more on the quality of engine performance with Chevron in the Saturn. Even after changing the oil with Chevron, I don't notice any "improvement" over the old oil. It always seems to keep the engine running smooth. Probably the best deal there is for oil IMHO.

I have to agree with the superior quality of the Chevron products. If I had to choose between any DINO oils, Chevron would be my choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back