Chevron & Neutra Question in my oil-munching Toyota V6 and Saturn SC2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I understand it the sludge problem is isolated to vechiles runnig the 2.2 4cylinder and 3.0 V6 manufactured from 1999- just prior of the 3.3 V6 release. It has to do with cooling galleys being reduced in size in the heads to increase temp for emissions. You can see a 30-60 degree coolant temp increase in these years as compared to previous years.

Since you're new....

All Mobil-1 is synthetic: That's what the "1" means; it's a brand name. You may go to www.mobil1.com.

Look in the section on Used Oil Analysis-Gas Engines, and search there on Sienna. You'll see how well the Redline oil held up. If your goal is total worry-free performance, use Redline.

There's a bunch of info on the home page of this site, www.bobistheoilguy.com including basic oil knowledge. There's also a section on Toyota Oil Recommendations, discussing why these engines are tough on oil.

Also, have you pulled your pcv valve on your Sienna lately? The valve may be the easiest place to look for signs of oil vaporization. It should allow you to blow air thru it, only in the direction from base toward the top... Some folks here believe the pcv system is involved in the gelling problem, although there has been no observed correlation.

quote:

Originally posted by Pete:
Since you're new....

All Mobil-1 is synthetic: That's what the "1" means; it's a brand name. You may go to www.mobil1.com.

Thanks for all your help--and patience to answer seemingly rudimentary questions! It's much aprreciated I now understand things more clearly. I picked up 5 quarts of Mobil 1 10w-30 at Wally World last night and will give it a whirl after my latest Neutra treatment has finished it's course. I changed the PCV valve a few months ago, and plan to change it again at the Mobil 1 change. I figure it's cheap insurance on this motor...

Bob, I also wanted the info since I own two oil munchers.
Thank you
RichR
worshippy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back