Chevron Lubricants Q&A May 2016 - Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwillson

Staff member
Q: Why is it so hard to find Havoline ProDS Synthetic in 5qt jugs?

A: It is up to each individual retailer to decide what they wish to carry or stock; consumer requests to the retailer(s) helps as the retailer decides which products and pack size to stock based on consumer demand.

Q: Any plans on releasing ACEA-compliant 5w30 or 0w30? Something that meets current ACEA A5/B5
or A3/B4 standards would be great.

A: We will include this in ongoing product development plans.

Q: Will there be a "euro" formula meeting various Euro mfg specs, similar to m1 0w40 or castrol 0w40, and where can it be purchased in the US?

A: We will include this in ongoing product development plans.

Q: With the Dexron VI standard, it has been said that all Dexron VI fluids from every other manufacturer are basically the same. What makes your product stand apart from the others?

A: Chevron recommends Havoline Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF (our DEXRON-VI licensed product)
for a broad range of applications/specifications. Please refer customer to current Marketing brochures specifically developed for this product that identify these applications/specifications. http://www.havoline.com/products/transmission-fluids3.aspx

Q: I live in Louisiana. Why is it so hard to find Chevron Supreme in retail stores, such as Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, etc.? The only places I can find it is at Chevron gas stations and the prices are high.

A: It is up to each individual retailer to decide what they wish to carry or stock; consumer requests to the retailer(s) helps as the retailer decides which products and pack size to stock based on consumer demand.

Q: What motor oil do you recommend for my 2008 Chevy Corvette Ls3 engine with 28,000 miles on it? I recently installed an ECS supercharger and American Racing Headers. It has 550 Rwhp. Until now I have been using the recommended 5-30w full synthetic motor oil. Is there oil I should be using to better protect my boosted engine? I do not race my car. Thank you.

A: Havoline ProDS Full Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 5W-30

Q: Regarding HDEOs, in a Caltex Document from 1995, titled "THE EFFECT OF ENGINE DESIGN ON

HEAVY-DUTY DIESEL ENGINE OIL FORMULATION" a distinction was drawn between the manufacturing trends of the Japanese, American and European engine makers, and the requirements for lubricants to meet those variances.

a. Delo CXJ was recommended for Japanese OEM diesels;

b. Delo SHP for European; and

c. Delo LSA for US designed engines.

The paper describes power density, piston ring location, sump capacity, crown thickness, and the
requirement for more/less dispersants, greater/lower sulfated ash amongst others to deal with the nuances of design. Has the convergence to modern HDMOs been driven by either

a. Convergence in design parameters by the various OEMs; or

b. Improvements in the lubricant technology such that the apparent shortcomings in the Caltex
paper have been reduced to the point that they no longer are of significance?

A: The need for diesel engine oil to be compatible and support the durability of exhaust gas treatment devices in diesel powered vehicles equipped with same and the engine oil performance requirements with increasingly longer recommended service intervals have been major influences in diesel engine oil technology in the last 20 years.

Q: Is Chevron designing any lubricants meant to address the LSPI issue in DIT engines?

A: The influence of engine oil on LSPI is being evaluated through tests and Chevron is developing engine oils to pass LSPI testing.

Q: What would the HTHS be on Delo 400 LE 15W40 and Delo 400 XLE 10W30 be?

A: Delo 400 LE SAE 15W-40 HTHS @ 150 °C by ASTM D4683 is > 3.7 mPa.s.

Delo 400 XLE SAE 10W-30 HTHS @ 150 °C by ASTM D4683 is > 2.9 mPa.s.

Q: Does Delo ELC (Red) contain any 2-EHA? Does Havoline Universal (Yellow) contain any 2EHA? Or
any of the chevron antifreezes contain 2EHA?

A: Yes, our OAT components include 2-EHA and have been used successfully by most NA OEM’s and fleets over the last 25 years. Every HD truck and engine manufacturer in NA currently approves and/or uses a 2-EHA containing coolant as factory fill.

Q: Delo 15W30 Severe Duty, What are the NOACK and HTHS for this product?

A: Delo 400 SD SAE 15W-30 HTHS @ 150 °C by ASTM D4683 is > 2.9 mPa.s.

Delo 400 SD SAE 15W-30 Noack (1 hour @ 250 °C) by ASTM D5800 is

Q: As a replacement for Delo 10W30, can it be run at the same intervals? (In a highway driven

application)

A: We would recommend determination of acceptable oil service intervals for Delo 400 SD SAE 15W-30 and Delo 400 XLE SAE 10W-30 by used oil analysis in representative vehicles and service conditions to which the service intervals are applied.

Q: At what winter temperatures would you recommend Delo 10W30 over Delo 15W30 Severe Duty?

A: Minimum recommended temperature for Delo 400 SD SAE 15W-30 in engines without block heaters
is -20°C. Minimum recommended temperature for Delo 400 XLE SAE 10W-30 in engines without block heaters is -25°C.

Q: Regarding the Delo LE 5W40, what are the NOACK & HTHS numbers?

A: Delo 400 LE SAE 15W-40 Noack (1 hour @ 250 °C) by ASTM D5800 is

Q: Does Chevron have plans to meet John Deere's oil spec JDQ-78X? Which is 500 hours at 100% full load.

A: We will include this in ongoing product development plans

Q: Delo 5w-30 has a dual rating of CJ-4 and SN. Does Delo 5w-30 have a higher concentration of

detergents and dispersants than a SN rated gasoline engine oil? Would you expect a gasoline engine which is operated with Delo 5w-30 CJ-4/SN to be cleaner than an engine operated with a SN rated gasoline only engine oil?

A: A gasoline engine operated with Delo 400 LE Synthetic SAE 5W-30 is expected to be cleaner with fewer/lighter deposits than the same gasoline engine operated under similar conditions with an engine oil of API SN performance only.

Thanks for the information. However:

Quote:

Who answered this for them, the Castrol data sheet writers? Any CJ-4 10w-30 will obviously have an HTHS above 2.9, and it better be 3.5 or greater, for that matter.

Quote:
Q: Regarding the Delo LE 5W40, what are the NOACK & HTHS numbers?

A: Delo 400 LE SAE 15W-40 Noack (1 hour @ 250 °C) by ASTM D5800 is

Thanks, but I believe the question was about Delo LE 5W40.

Quote:
Q: Regarding HDEOs, in a Caltex Document from 1995, titled "THE EFFECT OF ENGINE DESIGN ON HEAVY-DUTY DIESEL ENGINE OIL FORMULATION" a distinction was drawn between the manufacturing trends of the Japanese, American and European engine makers, and the requirements for lubricants to meet those variances.

The paper describes power density, piston ring location, sump capacity, crown thickness, and the
requirement for more/less dispersants, greater/lower sulfated ash amongst others to deal with the nuances of design. Has the convergence to modern HDMOs been driven by either

b. Improvements in the lubricant technology such that the apparent shortcomings in the Caltex

A: The need for diesel engine oil to be compatible and support the durability of exhaust gas treatment devices in diesel powered vehicles equipped with same and the engine oil performance requirements with increasingly longer recommended service intervals have been major influences in diesel engine oil technology in the last 20 years

Not quite sure what question was answered there, but it wasn't the one that I asked.

maybe testing a new bot ?

Originally Posted By: Garak
Thanks for the information. However:

Quote:

Who answered this for them, the Castrol data sheet writers? Any CJ-4 10w-30 will obviously have an HTHS above 2.9, and it better be 3.5 or greater, for that matter.

I kind of knew we were going to get some spotty answers...

I didn't see the answer about Chevron Supreme and Havoline motor oil being the same product in different packaging.

I had called Chevron about five years ago with a few questions, actually spoke to an engineer, and to my recollection he implied that they were the same and just marketed under Havoline in the East and Chevron Supreme in the West.

Originally Posted By: Samzone
I didn't see the answer about Chevron Supreme and Havoline motor oil being the same product in different packaging.

I asked that question. Must be secret information, or is it because Havoline is a different formulation. That's why I asked the question in the first place.

Originally Posted By: Samzone
I had called Chevron about five years ago with a few questions, actually spoke to an engineer, and to my recollection he implied that they were the same and just marketed under Havoline in the East and Chevron Supreme in the West.

I think you are right, but that's why I asked the question, so I could hear it from the source. Maybe they did not answer because it is a Chevron Q&A. If that's true, then I would not get no answer from a Havoline Q&A either.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Quote:
Q: Regarding HDEOs, in a Caltex Document from 1995, titled "THE EFFECT OF ENGINE DESIGN ON HEAVY-DUTY DIESEL ENGINE OIL FORMULATION" a distinction was drawn between the manufacturing trends of the Japanese, American and European engine makers, and the requirements for lubricants to meet those variances.

A: The need for diesel engine oil to be compatible and support the durability of exhaust gas treatment devices in diesel powered vehicles equipped with same and the engine oil performance requirements with increasingly longer recommended service intervals have been major influences in diesel engine oil technology in the last 20 years

Not quite sure what question was answered there, but it wasn't the one that I asked.

maybe testing a new bot ?

Yeah, sort of looks that way ...

But I suspect that we need a Diesel Q & A thread over in HDEO's... So many run HDEO's in mixed fleets. We ought to get more serious answers than this ...

Last edited:
I do not buy that the retailers themselves decide what to be sold off their shelves. Go in to Walmart or any other store and notice how thee shelves are divided into 4 foot sections from top to bottom. The companies usually purchase their OWN 4 foot sections. Of course they can buy more than just one section wide as well. The companies decide what goes on THEIR 4 foot sections. The most expensive sections are obviously regular eye height of an average person. The least expensive are the shelves at the bottom. Next time you go into Walmart or any other grocery store pay special attention to what products take up the shelf space that about four feet to six feet high off the floor. Then look and see what brands are at the bottom of the shelves. There will be a clear pattern for you to see. I worked for a Hannaford grocery store and helped set up the store for a grand opening. We had to set up the store by who purchased each 4 foot section. It was not randomly done. Take for example say Heinz bought a 4 foot section... it had to be set up with their products the EXACT way they wanted them displayed. They had the autonomy to make their decisions where each of their products went. Or which ones were on the shelves to begin with.

It is not likely that Wally world who is responsible for not having Havoline Pro DS in 5 quart containers on their shelves. It is more than likely Chevron's decision not to cut a row of it in their paid for 4 foot sections is the reason why. Only way it's not their responsibility for this is either a third party is setting up deals for Walmart or somehow Walmart has arranged a deal with suppliers aka the companies that buy the 4 foot sections and they have to give Walmart the right to dictate what goes on their shelves. It would seem to an unusual practice for either of those two circumstances to actually be taking place. But I guess it could be possible.. though I find it unlikely.

Now, I really like Chevron/Havoline products. I am very glad to be able to buy their oils on good sales at Advance Auto parts. I believe that Chevron/Havoline makes great oils that are every bit the equal to any of the other competitors. I really think that they could really make a lot of headway IF they could sell their full synthetic oil at Walmart for say an $20.97 everyday price. Many more people would buy their oil due to being such a good price for a synthetic.

Last edited:
I started out my driving life using Havoline 30 weight in the cardboard cans. Just like millions of others, it was because my father used it as well. Went on for many years until the 90's when it started to be hard to source in the stores. Those days we didn't know why, just assumed they quit making it after the Texaco brand went from one company to another. So I'm somewhat amused that in the 20teens it's still hard to find. The Havoline ProDS looks to be a fine oil and I just read here somewhere that it was the first 0w20 to make the new Dexos gen2 certification.

Is it the fact they don't advertise like some of the others? If I see it someday I'll give it a try again. It would be like returning to my oil change roots. I currently use Valvoline or Castrol but Havoline has to be right up there.

Hello Chevron ... So your new CK4 oils say 50% less wear, and that's great. I'll always buy less wear and I'll bet you have the lab data to back up the claim. But what about using these new formulas on flat tappet motors? Is there enough ZDDP (or other)?

And if other, what is it?

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Hello Chevron ... So your new CK4 oils say 50% less wear, and that's great. I'll always buy less wear and I'll bet you have the lab data to back up the claim. But what about using these new formulas on flat tappet motors? Is there enough ZDDP (or other)?

And if other, what is it?

I'm also looking for an oil suitable for flat (hydraulic) tappet motor.

The reason I posted the question was that I know Chevron is working on non-zinc, non-phosphorus anti-wear compounds, with some success.

My go-to oil for FT cams and motors is Chevron Delo 15W-30 SD (severe duty). But my stash is from before the CK4 releases ... I know it's OK. But don't know about newer oils ...

Looks like we are both Cali folks, and we can't get VR-1 w/o driving to Reno and hauling it back ... So need something workable with in-state oils ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
The reason I posted the question was that I know Chevron is working on non-zinc, non-phosphorus anti-wear compounds, with some success.

My go-to oil for FT cams and motors is Chevron Delo 15W-30 SD (severe duty). But my stash is from before the CK4 releases ... I know it's OK. But don't know about newer oils ...

Looks like we are both Cali folks, and we can't get VR-1 w/o driving to Reno and hauling it back ... So need something workable with in-state oils ...

BrocLuno,
I'm just getting back to this thread after being back east to meet with my engine builder. He recommends GN4 Honda Motorcycle dino oil. A buddy of mine that worked for Chevron's motor oil development lab for many years poo-poo'd that, but also poo-poo'd the engine builder's choice of hydraulic flat tappets for my motor, so what the heck do I know?

AC

Too bad you didn't bring back some of that contraband oil while you were back east. Does California have their own customs agency now looking for state-banned substances?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back