Chevron Industrial Grease better than Lucas X-TRA HD Green Grease?

I just snagged a box of these and was wondering if its better quality than the green ag grease that lucas makes, since thats my go to atm.
Its a nice red color in it. I would have to grease ujoints on a diesel truck, and grease tractors as well and other grease nipples for old ford trucks on the front end and such.

20210615_170442.jpg20210615_170029.jpg20210615_170024.jpg20210615_170020.jpg

It's a good grease. It'll be lithium based where as the Lucas green is a modern polyurea base. It isn't an older polyurea that is completely incompatible with lithium greases.

Flush the fittings out with the new grease and you'll be good to go. It'll most likely soften a bit where the two greases mix but if you've flushed out most of the old stuff it shouldn't be an issue but you can also grease a bit more often for the first couple of times.

It's a good grease. It'll be lithium based where as the Lucas green is a modern polyurea base. It isn't an older polyurea that is completely incompatible with lithium greases.

Flush the fittings out with the new grease and you'll be good to go. It'll most likely soften a bit where the two greases mix but if you've flushed out most of the old stuff it shouldn't be an issue but you can also grease a bit more often for the first couple of times.
Ah so thats the two bases alright. Would this chevron grease be better against water? Also is there any benefit of using this in a ujoint over the green lucas?

Ah so thats the two bases alright. Would this chevron grease be better against water? Also is there any benefit of using this in a ujoint over the green lucas?

Just based on the spec sheet yes it would actually. Lucas has water washout of 10% vs a water washout of 7% on the ultra duty.

Either one will work just fine in a u joint that your greasing regularly.

Honestly though like all Lucas products the green grease is aggressively mediocre. I would consider it largely interchangeable with any halfway decent lithulium soap grease. The only advantage it has is a higher dropping point but any lithium complex grease will be there right with it.

If you want a good polyurea grease I'd look for Chevron black pearl or citgo polytac. Washout % less than 1.

I have much experience with Ultra Duty grease. It is very good grease, it can however harden in areas that don’t get regressed very often.
An example where I’ve had issues is bearings on tillage equipment that gets used in the spring then sits until the next year.
The #2 grade gets so stiff in the winter that you can’t leave the grease gun out in the cold, I used to bring it inside at night, or would put it on the floor of my truck where the heater could blow on it. Ultra Duty was my introduction to grades other than 2!

Back