Chevron Delo 400 XSP 5W40 ISOSYN, 4700 miles, 2018 Lincoln Navigator L 3.5 Liter Ecoboost V-6

Vehicle: 2018 Lincoln Navigator L
Miles on oil: 4700 Time on oil: 2-3 months
Engine: Ford 3.5 liter Ecoboost
Oil: Chevron Delo 400 XSP 5W40 ISOSYN
Other oil used previously: Mobil Delvac 1 5W40

This oil is rated API SN+.

Not much of a difference between Delvac and Delo IMHO.

oiltest.JPG

The 3.5L EB runs around 3-4 ppm of Fe per 1k miles; you're pretty much in line with that.
The other metals are low enough to be called noise.
If you're going to OFCI this frequently, pick the least expensive lube that meets the Ford spec; you'll save some money.

Looks almost identical to a 5W-30 MC Blend run on the same year. I think he had 1 ppm more iron and 700 more mi.

He also had 3.2% Fuel and some shearing but the engine didn't appear to care.

Of course comparing two different individual engines isn't really productive...

How can you tell the difference between mechanical shear and fuel dilution from that Blackstone report?

On a B S report you would have to go by flashpoint to estimate how much viscosity loss was fuel. This one has minimal fuel (compared to his previous). I am highly dubious of B S interpretation of dilution. The MC analysis I was referring to was not a B S.

I am not knowledgable about Blackstone oil testing or how they measure fuel dilution. From posts Ive read about the issue...authored by people I dont know...I have read that Blackstone doesnt measure fuel dilution or the techniques they use dont measure it like other services. Again I dont have any expertise on the innerworkings of BlackStone.

There has been considerable major engine work done by the dealership. Maybe what they did cured the fuel dilution which might have been there in prior samples. They had accurately pointed out the sealant which was as a result of that work. Right after it came back from the dealer I did my own engine flush with cheap Supertech oil. Fill it up and after a few hundred miles drain....no oil test on those oil changes. I felt it important to drain out the stuff the dealer left behind.

Ive had serious problems with this engine and we are now at 122000 miles thus I like to go a grade higher and these oils available at Walmart do the trick.

I did some homework...

here is how Blackstone calculates fuel dilution.

Basically they compare the flashpoint of the sample vs the known flashpoint of the oil. However I noticed they didnt bother to put anything under the fuel dilution columns.

Both Delvac and Delo have similar flashpoints around 433 degrees F. According to Blackstone the Delvac samples were 380 and 390 degrees and the Delo sample 415 degrees. So either there was less dilution or this Delo oil seemed to resist the dilution.
One of the reasons I stay away from 5W30 is because I know of this dilution issue in this engine thus the use of an HDEO.

Screenshot_20200814-105412_Chrome.jpg

I did some homework...

here is how Blackstone calculates fuel dilution.

Basically they compare the flashpoint of the sample vs the known flashpoint of the oil. However I noticed they didnt bother to put anything under the fuel dilution columns.

Both Delvac and Delo have similar flashpoints around 433 degrees F. According to Blackstone the Delvac samples were 380 and 390 degrees and the Delo sample 415 degrees. So either there was less dilution or this Delo oil seemed to resist the dilution.
One of the reasons I stay away from 5W30 is because I know of this dilution issue in this engine thus the use of an HDEO.

View attachment 27011

Which is why I believed it had minimal fuel compared to your previous samples. 5W-40 Group III or Group III+ (I'm unsure if Delvac is still primarily PAO or GIII+ today) does shear a little more in my heavy trucks than a 15W-40 Group II+ or Group II/III Blend but it is not nearly as shear prone in my pickups as a typical 5W-30 PCMO. That said when operating properly with dilution under 5% (measured by GC) I have not seen anything that makes me believe the 5W-30 is getting to thin. I do believe a 40 is a good idea in an engine that is an excessive diluter.

I believe you are well on your way to having the issues sorted with this unit. Good luck.

Back