Chevron Delo 400 XSP 5W40, 5,300 miles, 1993 Volvo 240 B230F engine

Sam_Julier

$50 Site Donor 2024
I’m really pleased with this report.

This is the second 5,000 mile run with this oil. Makeup oil was 1/3 quart in a sump that holds 4 quarts. Mann W917 filter. Dimple magnetic drain plug.

I‘ve been running dual spec oils in both 240s for quite a while. As you can see the cam shaft and area under the valve cover is as clean as can be. And the oil consumption is minimal.

I plan to stay with these oils and a 5,000 mile OCI. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 201
  • 9CC6C639-00B8-4E54-AE51-D74E46437A15.jpeg
    9CC6C639-00B8-4E54-AE51-D74E46437A15.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
The engine in my 940 turbo looks just like that under the valve cover. Mine has lived on an assortment of 10W-30 mostly synthetics. QS, Valvoline and a good deal of M1. These engines are stout and almost nothing damages them except overheating.

This grade is CK-4/SN. In my mind it is simply a more robust spec than SN. Do you agree?
I’m still on the fence about that. Haven’t seen any reliable proof that it’s a better oil. If it was indeed the superior oil (the double spec I mean) then there would be no reason to even make anything since we have already designed THE BEST.

I’m still on the fence about that. Haven’t seen any reliable proof that it’s a better oil. If it was indeed the superior oil (the double spec I mean) then there would be no reason to even make anything since we have already designed THE BEST.
I don’t for a moment think this is the BEST oil for this engine. Without lots of UOA expense I’ll never know that. But it appears to run well in this engine, with its 1993 fuel injection system, oil PVC system, cam shaft, etc. I have noticed it holds OP well when oil temps are 230-235 degrees. I don’t plan on pulling more UOAs. The oil seems to be fine for a 5k OCI.

Held viscosity very well, but TBN seems a bit low for a HD oil at only 5k in an engine easy on oil?
I thought the TBN would be higher too. I have no expertise to explain why. I‘m happy with the results for a 5k OCI.

Back