Chevron Delo 400 XSP 5W-40 experiences in 6.7L Ford

Anybody know how well this oil performs in a 6.7L Ford engine? With winter coming, I need to dump my 15w40 and go back to 5w40. I'm thinking ZDDP levels aren't high enough to satisfy Ford's spec. If so, what do you recommend using as a ZDDP additive to make the oil more stout.

I got 10 gallons of the stuff at a decent price and usually use T6 5w40 but that stuff is scarcer to find than a conservative in California. I have plenty of other turbo'd non diesel engines to use this stuff in if you don't recommend it but would like to give it a shot even if it needs some additives.

Thanks,
Drew

Delo is mixed fleet oil, it only has 800ppm of phos, the Ford spec requires 1000ppm, use at your own risk, will it do damage probably not, is the car under warranty? if so, then definitely don't use it.

theres a guy that did 20k uoa's on it on his 6.7psd recently. check the uoas in diesel.

Delo is mixed fleet oil, it only has 800ppm of phos, the Ford spec requires 1000ppm, use at your own risk, will it do damage probably not, is the car under warranty? if so, then definitely don't use it.
Thanks for the info regarding zddp. I figured it didn't meet the 1000 ppm spec which is why I'm planning on adding zddp via an additive. WHAT IS THE BEST ZDDP ADDITIVE TO USE? I don't want to buy some snake oil to find it it barely has any. Thanks!

I wouldn't try to play blender especially on something as expensive as a 6.7 PSD, if you're looking for a value maybe look at farm stores, AutoZone has 20% off on delivery orders, you can get 4 jugs of their house brand 5w40 that should be good for our Ford for around $20 a piece, which isn't great but RT6 is it unobtanium now unless you wanna pay over $30/gal at the parts stores.

I use Schaeffer 132 a lot but I can’t remember how much ZDDP it has. I know it uses a lot of Antimony
But it's like $10 a pint and you're supposed to use 1 pint a gallon essentially , so you're not really saving any money over buying some 5W-40 that's been formulated to ford's requirements, and you still end up with an oil of unknown composition that hasn't been tested for the application.

But it's like $10 a pint and you're supposed to use 1 pint a gallon essentially , so you're not really saving any money over buying some 5W-40 that's been formulated to ford's requirements, and you still end up with an oil of unknown composition that hasn't been tested for the application.
But that’s exactly what he’s asking for: an additive to boost ZDDP levels. I don’t see anywhere where he asked for oil recommendations that are blended to fords requirements.

But that’s exactly what he’s asking for: an additive to boost ZDDP levels. I don’t see anywhere where he asked for oil recommendations that are blended to fords requirements.
The point is it's an expensive 6.7L PSD, an engine that could cost you 5 figures to get replaced, Ford was very Anal that the API was wrong for allowing oils with less than 1000ppm of phosphorous carry the CK-4 rating and created their own spec, on such an engine one should not play blender and just go find the correct oil.

I agree with the posts “if you are still on warranty don’t do this…”
However: Redline Break-in Additive had Zn 20500ppm, P 17000ppm, Ca (as detergent) 20000ppm on a VOA. Be cognizant that since it’s labeled and sold as break-in additive, the ZDDP is likely alkyl rather than aryl. And I don’t know whether the anion of the Ca is sulfonate, phenate or salicylate.
I have used it to bring the TBN of a 10 x 5gal lot of Delvac 1 SHC 5W40 up to specified TBN of 16 and Zn up to specified ~1400ppm, after doing a VOA. The lot was formulated in Egypt. The newer lot is what is originally specified and doesn’t need it. All my UOAs have been excellent. I use it when I pour the oil into the engine, not before.
Anyways, hopefully you can do the simple arithmetic correctly if you do this.

Last edited:
Back