Chevron Delo 400 XSP 5W-30 XSP

API licenses are super easy to look up on the EOLCS Licensee Directory:

CHEVRON PRODUCTS COMPANY Delo 400 XSP 5W-30 CK-4,CJ-4,CI-4,CH-4/SN CI-4 PLUS, SN PLUS

So is the 5W-40.

Around these parts, the 5w30 is virtually impossible to find on store shelves. Even the Mobil-1 ESP is doing a slow disappear act. Rotella T6 Multi Vehicle has already vanished.

The 5w40 is SN Plus, I recently hit up several Walmart when they were clearancing it fro $5, I believe they are no longer going to carry it in store, Out of the 21 Jugs I got 8 of them said SN+ on the jug, 10 said SN because they were older, and 3 were old 400LE jugs that were SM/CJ-4 but have the same UPC.
[Linked Image]

Here's a better picture, that one wasn't as hi res as I thought it was, Facebook must have down scaled it when i sent it to myself on messenger, so you can't see that some jugs say SN PLUS clearly.
[Linked Image]

SN Plus (LSPI Requirements) ✓
High Soot Dispersion Formula ✓
High Viscosity for Grade (12.1 cSt) ✓
High HTHS (3.5+) ✓
High TBN ✓

Meets Ford Requirements of API SN Certified 5W-30 for an F150 Ecoboost.

Really seems interesting if not exactly the cheapest option.

Originally Posted by Gene K
SN Plus (LSPI Requirements) ✓
High Soot Dispersion Formula ✓
High Viscosity for Grade (12.1 cSt) ✓
High HTHS (3.5+) ✓
High TBN ✓

Meets Ford Requirements of API SN Certified 5W-30 for an F150 Ecoboost.

Really seems interesting if not exactly the cheapest option.

Stay tuned and don't leave BITOG. I will have a SN Plus XSP 5w40 UOA on June 21st, 2021. I just put it on my phone calendar.....lol
If Covid pt2 arrives this winter, all bets are off on the June date.

If Administration pushes the wrong buttons when the BITOG forums migrate to Xenforo on Tuesday, more bets are off..

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a jug of the xsp 5w30 that I purchased from Amazon last year but the price has gone up since, I got it for $18.96 but it's now $27.99. I just placed another order with them and to get the free shipping I added the xle 10w30 @ $18.85 and I see that Walmart has finally dropped their price to that. I really like the Delo as it's rated for both gasoline & diesel which makes it perfect for different types of vehicles and a fleet oil. I've noticed that most of the Walmart's in my area have started dropping the Delo from their shelves except for the conventional 15w40 & xle 15w40, the xle 15w40 is a really good price that works great in the tractors and mowers but I don't want to run something that heavy in the vehicles.

In my car I've noticed the least consumption running the 10w30 but then I've had some new leaks show up that are now hopefully fixed. I created a spreadsheet to track how much oil was added and the mileage and when running the Delo it was substantially lower but then Walmart stopped carrying it in the stores and became hard to find unless you ordered it. There is a Super Walmart 45 min from home that supposedly has a really good selection of oil and still carrying the 5w40 & 15w40.

I previously used Delo 400 LE 5w30 in my 6.0 powerstroke. Very good wear numbers during a 4600 mile uoa pulling 18k pound trailer across the country a few years back.

I now have amsoil adn 10w30.

But i have been tempted to order from Amazon the Delo XSP 5w30 or the Delo xle 10w30 (crazy pour point and 453 F flash point) .

Problem is neither oil has the Ford diesel certification for P or Zn.

But i may try it anyways

I was comparing Delo® 400 XSP SAE 5W-30 with the Havoline PRO DS 5w-30. Delo has a lower pour point, but Pro Ds has higher VI.

Pro DS 5w-30
VI = 170
Pour point = -27 deg f.
Vis @ 40 cst =62.1
Vis @ 100 CST =11

Delo 5w-30
VI = 165
Pour point = -51 deg f.
Vis @ 40 CST =72.4
Vis @ 100 CST =12.1

Delo 5w-40
VI =170
Point point = -51 deg f
Vis @ 40 CST = 96
Vis @ 100 CST = 15.4

So Delo has a lower pour point, but PRO DS is thinner at 40deg c?
Which one of these will flow best at say, 0 degrees Fahrenheit?

Only the PRO DS is Dexos 2 rated as far as I can tell.

Of these 3, which one would you recommend for a 2013 suburban 5.3l with 125,000 miles on it?

North central AZ. Summer highs are 95-100 degrees, and winter I've seen lows of 10, but usually in the low 20's.

I'd use 10W30 ProDS, since it comes in a 6qt box which should be about perfect for the 5.3, and 10w30 should generally be more shear stable than a 5w30 and will work perfectly fine in your winter conditions.

Back