Chevron Delo 400 LE for 1976 KZ900 15w-40 diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I have an old 1976 KZ900 , and I've been reading a lot about oil lately. One thing that bothers me is that a lot of the oil companies have reduced the zinc and phosphorous in their oils which supposedly isn't good for the old bikes cams etc.

I've been reading up on Chevron Delo 400 LE (15w-40) , and from their website it says that the CJ-4 version still has Phosphorus at .12 and zinc at .13 , which seems to be good amounts for what I need.

My question is, am I on the right track here? Does anyone have any other reccomendations or comments about the Delo for my bike?

I was using Rotella 15w-40 but they reduced their amounts of zinc and phosphorous in 2007 so I've changed to the Delo.

Thank you.

Any help would be appreciated.

I sure wouldn't worry about a reduction of a single additive component, including phos. Although conventional wisdom may feel that there is a need for SG levels of zddp no matter what, I am completely convinced that formulators can achieve superior performance by the means of a multitude of different means and avenues.
I think there are plenty of alternative AW and EP products, and/or combination of products, that can compltely satisfy the synergism of the total package. And without completely depending on one or more of these products or combinations.

Conventional wisdom also states that with the reduction of zddp, comes the degredation of an oil. But, it is a rediculous notion to think that simply because some restraints have been placed on the formulas chemistry, that the formulator can't work around these constraints to provide a superior fluid, that performs far past what it's previous formulas could.

I think that if zddp were to disapear from the planet today, it wouldn't take much past tomorrow for the formulators to continue to provide superior fluids that perform as intended. We, the consumers, would immediately staret paying for the change,(probably out the wazoo) but the change could easily be made happen.

I realize this is a marketing quote, but the words are fairly to-the-point and clear:

Based on extensive industry recognized engine wear tests done by Shell Lubricants, Shell ROTELLA®T with Triple Protection™ technology provides on average 50 percent greater wear protection (ranging from 27% to 88% reduced wear) than the previous formulation. These laboratory based findings are backed up by the results of over 5.5 million miles of on-highway road testing using current generation engines in which significantly lower iron wear was found.

All that said,
I think that any of the HDEO multigrades on the Wal, including Delo, Delvac, And Rotella will do a fine job in the KZ. Lightyears better than any fluid available when the engine was engineered.
I personally like the moly used by Chevron, when considering plain bearing cams, although I use Rotella in a 444cc shared-sump single dirtbike with dual cams and bucket lifters.

What more could you possibly ask for to use in a 30 year old relic anywho?

Btw...my stock Z1900 could smoke your KZ.
laugh.gif
hornets_nest.gif

Will work just fine, as will almost any other 15W-40 HDEO from the last 10 years or so...

Cheers!

Most Japanese bike of that era only called for 10W-40 auto oil of good quality.
Since then the mfgs have come out with their own branded oil, and now suggests that you bike will blow up or fall apart if you use anything else.
Bull feathers.
Any good HDEO will work great in any cycle engine.
Wet cluth or no.

There were 100's if not 1000's of fleet kawasaki police bikes around the country oiled with the not-so-good-at-the-time 10w40. And serviced with long "by the book" OCI's. Many are still on the road and running good. As mentioned the delo would work fine.

I ran an 82 KZ1000/1100 over 118,000 miles on Delo 15W-40. Prior to selling it, I pulled the cam covers to check valve lash and the internals still looked new. Compression was still in the high end of the specification. I don't think you could find a better oil for your KZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back