Chevron Delo 400 15w40 Heavy Duty Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will this oil be ok to use in a 5.4L Triton F150 thru the winter in Houston TX ??? My concern is the 15w on the colder days.

The Chevron web site says they make a Delo 400 10w30, but I have not been able to find it anywhere? This would be a great HDO for year round use.

The only other option I have considered is the Shell Rotella T 5w40, but your talking a bit more money in comparison to the Chevron Delo 400 15w40.

Do you have a good reason for wanting a 40 wt. oil and a diesel lube? Why not just use a good gasoline engine 10W-30?--works great for the rest of us.

Ken

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/article_detail.asp?articleid=518&relatedbookgroup=Maintenance

Machinery Lubrication article By Blaine Ballentine, Central Petroleum Company says:
"The best protection against wear is probably a product that is a little thicker (such as SAE 10W-30 or 15W-40) and has more antiwear additives than the oils that support the warranty."
Take a look.
cheers.gif

Unless we're looking at a high mileage 5.4, there is little to no benefit going to a xw40 oil in this series of engines. UOA's are showing that xw30's and xw20's deliver excellent wear protection in this series of motors.

I'm not saying that it will ruin the motor because it won't.

Just wondering why a 3-5% drop in fuel economy for no added wear protection is appealing?

Also note the statement that the best probably is "probably a little thicker...". Sounds terribly scientific. No evidence that this is the case for the Triton motors - 4.6, 5.4 and even the 6.8 V10 in the superduties.

I'm a big fan of the mineral HDEO 15w-40's (such a great oil, especially for the price!) namely Delo, Delvac, and Pennzoil Long-Life, which is definitely my favorite!
grin.gif

But, truth be told, unless you actually need the thicker weight and much better DD package (Detergent/Dispersants), you'll see little if any improvement at all in wear.

Do you pull/tow heavy loads frequently or work the heck out of it?
How many miles on your truck?
How clean are the internals?
How much oil is it currently consuming?

Like I said, if you run your truck in conditions that neccesitate the thicker fluid film, then by all means go for it.
If the internals are deposit laden (or you have sludge
thumbsdown.gif
), then definitely go for the HDEO's.
If you are consuming a good deal of a thinner viscosity oil, then go for it.
If you have a good amount of miles on your truck, then go for it...

But hey, it's a free country: Run what oil you want to run. Your not going to kill your ride by running a HDEO 15w-40...

BTW:
I run Pennzoil Long-Life in my gas-engine truck.
Girlfriend has Delo 400 in her car.
Brother has Long-Life in his car.
Dad has Delvac 1300 in his Dodge ISB.
etc, etc, etc...

[ November 02, 2003, 02:52 AM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

I didn't see any scientific proof in that article.

15W-40 is fine, weatherwise, for Houston.

I do use Amsoil 15W-40 synthetic in my 240K mile car, and I am also a fan of the HD diesel oils. But if I had a new vehicle, and I lived in Houston, it would be 10W-30 synthetic or synthetic whatever weight the OM calls for.

edit - i cun spel

Ok, 1998 F150 5.4 has:
67,000 miles on it,
no abuse,
no towing,
mainly driven on weekends around town.

It was using about a qt per 1000 miles and badly sooted up from a unkown loose, then blown spark plug problem 2 months ago. I fixed that with a Big Sert, Time Sert repair, and hope that the oil consumption has stopped, and it appears to have, but I'm not 100% sure since I put super tech 10w40 in it only 1000 miles ago, right after the repair.

With all the info above if you wanted to use the best dino for this application, what sould it be?
Penn. 10w30 hi mileage, or Havoline 5w30, or 10w30? Or?

Hey Jelly, what's a Dodge ISB?

[ November 02, 2003, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Valk1500 ]

Dodge ISB is a Dodge Ram with a Cummins Diesel engine in it.

The exact same engine, in every other (non-Dodge) application, is called the Cummins ISB.

Like Brons said, it's the Dodge Ram with the 5.9L Cummins...the actual name for the engine is the ISB now (used to be the B5.9)...all the Cummins truck-engines now go by a "I" designation:

ISX
ISM
ISL
ISC
ISB

Like I said before, I have been very, very impressed with the performance of Pennzoil Long-Life 15w-40. I would have never had used it before coming to this site, but after reading up on it, decided I would give it a try.

I must say that it pretty much stopped oil consumption in my 4.3L 1500 Chevy...and I was using Delo in it before (even ran some Rotella in it for awhile).

Go over to Wal-Mart and pick up some Pennzoil Long-Life and a Motorcraft filter and give 'em a try.

If your engine starts acting funky (long time for pressure to come up on startup, bad performance, big drop in fuel economy, bad oil pressure, etc, etc..) then dump it and try something else.

Now a question for you...what's a "big sert, time sert repair"?

Another posssibility that you may wish to consider if you want a slightly thicker vis oil is Castrol GTX High Mileage or Pennzoil High Mileage. Both of these oils are forumulated on the High end of the 30wt scale, and they both have more robust additive packages than standard 30wt gasoline oils. I am running GTX HM 5w30 in my Dodge Dakota right now will have a UOA in a couple of months.

It is a repair kit for stripped out spark plug threads, see below links.

Time-Sert, Big-Sert
This should help:

http://www.timesert.com/bigsert-repair.html

http://www.timesert.com/sprksert.html

Used this on my F150 5.4L Triton two months ago, works great.
Worth every penny.
patriot.gif

I'm looking at those oils as an option too, thanks Nailz.

98' F-150 XLT, SuperCab, 5.4L, 4auto 4R100, 3.55 open diff. White Oxford with Black Reflex lower, K&N filter

[ November 02, 2003, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Valk1500 ]

Thanks for the link Valk, I have a '97 F150 4.6L 4x4 with 86K thats comming up on plug/wire change soon. I'm no oil guru, but I don't see why it would hurt anything in your climate to use the 15w40, and if your already using a 40 weight why not get the benefits of the HDEO. I find that 10w30 works plenty good for my F150, but have 2 other vehicles that are using 15w40 Fleet oil, so I am very tempted to go with a top notch 15w40 synth or blend (Amsoil or Schaeffers from one of the site supporters) to use in all my vehicles year-round. I like the idea of a fleet oil for my small fleet.

quote:

Originally posted by Valk1500:
*-*-*-With all the info above if you wanted to use the best dino for this application, what sould it be?
Penn. 10w30 hi mileage, or Havoline 5w30, or 10w30? Or?

Hey Jelly, what's a Dodge ISB?

Did you change your mind on the Delo?
They do make a 10-30
Carquest
if not there ask to have them check in the BACK.
I know the one between Federal and the Belt had some a few weeks ago. Both 10w-30 and 30... It's about 7.ish a gal.
I'd say youre safe with a 10w30 unless other issues like burning are a concern.

Valk1500, back to an earlier question you had, if you are truly interested in using Chevron’s Delo in 10W30, look in the yellow pages under “oil” or “lubrication” for your local distributor. That way, you can also get Chevron gear oils for your diffs, maybe Chevron ATF and some of their other hard-to-find products, etc …
smile.gif
Screw Wal-Mart.
tongue.gif

Of course, I think 15W40 would be fine year ‘round in Houston. It’s fine for 8-9 months out of the year way up here near the arctic circle.
wink.gif

Yeah, I’d also take Pennzoil Long Life 15W40. UOAs have looked good (do a search) and additive package likewise looks very good (~180PPM of moly). Last I knew, Chevron had no moly in their diesel/fleet oils. Not that moly is absolutely critical but it does seem to be an effective anti-wear agent and I’d certainly take it rather than leave it. Maybe that’s the biggest difference between Delo and the Pennzoil and why Jelly likes the Pennzoil more?

I’m also a fan of the high mileage oils. Pennzoil 5W30 or 10W30 High Mileage Vehicle oil would probably work really well. You’re certainly in the ballpark for one of these … although I would not have a problem using them in any mileage vehicle if that’s what I really wanted.

And all of this assumes that you aren’t willing to take the plunge and try Schaeffer’s 15W40 synthetic blend which is most likely better than both the Chevron and Pennzoil … for $3 per quart.

Lots of good choices.
grin.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:

Yeah, I'd also take Pennzoil Long Life 15W40. UOAs have looked good (do a search) and additive package likewise looks very good (~180PPM of moly). Last I knew, Chevron had no moly in their diesel/fleet oils. Not that moly is absolutely critical but it does seem to be an effective anti-wear agent and I'd certainly take it rather than leave it. Maybe that's the biggest difference between Delo and the Pennzoil and why Jelly likes the Pennzoil more?
--- Bror Jace

Well, I basically choose Pennzoil Long-Life because of reading on here (never would have used it before) and finding out that it is a darn good oil for only $5.77/gallon. (Also use SuperTech filters now...kinda gives you an idea of how much an effect this site has had on me.)

In gas-engines, when using an HDEO, I like the idea of having a friction-modifier, thus I like moly.

Also, I like the idea of having a little more protection on startup (yep, moly again)...pushing the thicker fluid around might cause a short delay on developing a full-fluid film, but the higher level of anti-wear additives and the addition of moly with offset this small delay.

Also, and maybe most importantly to me, in comparison to Delo, it significantly reduced my oil consumption.

quote:

Another posssibility that you may wish to consider if you want a slightly thicker vis oil is Castrol GTX High Mileage or Pennzoil High Mileage. Both of these oils are forumulated on the High end of the 30wt scale, and they both have more robust additive packages than standard 30wt gasoline oils.

They also have esters for cleaning.

Does Pennzoil make the Long-Life in a 10w30 or just in the 15w40? Where can you get it in Houston?

Sounds like what I'm looking for if not, Delo 10w30 will work fine.

I don't beleive Pennzoil makes a HDEO 10w30, the Pennz LL 10w30 is not deisel rated. The Chevron 10w30 Delo is. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, this is only an observation from part stores.

quote:

Originally posted by Kompressor:
I don't beleive Pennzoil makes a HDEO 10w30, the Pennz LL 10w30 is not deisel rated. The Chevron 10w30 Delo is. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, this is only an observation from part stores.

Ok, I'll correct you.
grin.gif

Pennzoil does make a 10w-30 CI-4/SL version of it's Pennzoil Long-Life oil.

Find a local Pennzoil oil distributor...they should be able to get some for you.

[ November 04, 2003, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

Jelly,
Just for you.
I have a photo of my daughter when she was about 10 changing the diff lube in one of my p/u's surrounded by various yellow containers, autographed by Eddie Hill.

I think that given another 6 months you will have everyone on this board switched over to Penz LL 10W30 and 15W40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back