Chevron 5W-30, 7670 miles, 2005 Honda Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got the results back from my second UOA from Blackstone Labs. This is for my 2005 Honda Pilot (3.5L V6). The oil was from the 37,500 mi maintenance that I did. I used Chevron 5W30 conventional oil (leftover from my previous car). This was the second consecutive oil change while following what Honda recommends for "normal" conditions (7500 mi OCIs).

The results were even better than the previous one which had bulk oil from the dealer. Here's a link to that UOA:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1147015#Post1147015

My whole point in doing these UOAs was to see if following the "normal" maintenance schedule would be fine. It appears that this is the case. I might do one additional UOA on the Shell 5W20 conventional that I just put in, but I doubt if there'll be much difference (if any).

Comments:
You extended your oil use to 7,670 miles and engine wear stayed basically the same as your first sample. That is a good indication that all parts are wearing normally. This oil uses a different additive package than the previous one and it worked just as well as that one. The oil's viscosity was a little low for a 5W/30, measuring in the 5W/20-grade range. No gasoline was found to cause it but the lower viscosity was still okay for this V-6. The TBN was 1.2, this time, showing a little active additive left. The air and oil filters were working well. Try 8,200 miles.

MI on oil: 7670
MI on unit: 45,150
Sample Date: 3/10/09
Make up oil added: 0

Aluminum: 6
Chromium: 2
Iron: 25
Copper: 3
Lead: 0
Tin: 2
Molybdenum: 333
Nickel: 1
Manganese: 12
Silver 0
Titanium: 0
Potassium: 1
Boron: 14
Silicon: 10
Sodium: 7
Calcium: 1558
Magnesium: 6
Phosphorus: 587
Zinc: 840
Barium: 0

*Numbers in parenthesis are recommended values
SUS Viscosity @ 210F: 53.8 (56-63)
cST Viscosity @ 100C: 8.41 (9.1-11.3)
Flashpoint in F: 370(>365)
Fuel %: Antifreeze %: 0.0 (0.0)
Water %: 0.0 ( Insolubles %: 0.2 ( TBN: 1.2

It's a good thing this oil doesn't have twice the moly it has, or your engine might go to [censored] in a handbasket.

Looks really good, but the oil is all but used up.

all used up. you got value for money, but i'd like peace of mind too

i take it it is a covnentional oil?

I personally would've gone with a 5 or 6000 mile interval. with a synthetic 7500 or 10,000 should be apples

I'd back the OCI down to 7,000 miles or no more than 7500 miles. I wouldn't push it any further despite Blackstone's recommendation.

I think a 7,000 OCI would be a good choice.

I think 7500 is a good choice. Terry Dyson already stated that Blackstone's 1.0 TBN recommendation is a bit conservative. All wear metals are within acceptable ranges and the oil sheared to a 20W which Honda specs anyway (as I recall).

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
It's a good thing this oil doesn't have twice the moly it has, or your engine might go to [censored] in a handbasket.

Looks really good, but the oil is all but used up.

Why is a lot of moly a bad thing?

Originally Posted By: RGrant
I think 7500 is a good choice. Terry Dyson already stated that Blackstone's 1.0 TBN recommendation is a bit conservative. All wear metals are within acceptable ranges and the oil sheared to a 20W which Honda specs anyway (as I recall).

What does Dyson say about TBN?

Looks good.

Does your Pilot have a OLM with percentage display? If so, what was it displaying?

Love Chevron oil.

THANKS for posting the UOA.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: RGrant

What does Dyson say about TBN?

I'll have to search for the link, but on a Blackstone reading 0 TBN is the floor...

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Chevron products are some of, if not the best lubricants in their class. 2X moly would be =666

Doh! I get it now. LOL.

So this was Chevron Supreme 5W30?... Current formulation or an older formula? I ask only because doesn't Chevron make Havoline DS and Havoline DS used to have similar moly levels but they reformulated and dropped the moly down to about half what it was.

Why try "8,200"? Once you have determined that you can get a great UOA with a 7.5K OCI using ($0.99 after rebate) 5W-30 Chevron Supreme (or DS, or Castrol GT, or a CoNoCo semi-, or... WHATEVER!) why would you EVEN consider continued UOA's?

You are spending a lot more for te$ting that the cost of the oil & filter changes. What is an additional 700 miles between changes going to do for you?

Just askin'.

Cheers!

I use Blackstone for data, but not analysis. Their comments border on absurd. This oil performed well (as noted, Chevron … along with Texaco Havoline … are among the most consistent performers on the market … Period) but it’s just about done at 7,500 miles of Wisconsin winter use. In the summer this may go another 1,000 – 1,500 miles but not during the colder months with these Hondas that tend to run very rich in the cold at start-up.

Good result … but don’t push it.

Let's see if I can answer everyone's questions:

crinkles - Yes, it's conventional oil.

ajchien - Yes, I meet the criteria for "normal" maintenance.

Bill in Utah - No, our Pilot does not have the Maintenance Minder system. 2006 was the first year that Honda offered it in the Pilot.

LoneRanger - Yes, it is Chevron Supreme. It's probably the older formula... the date printed on the back of the bottle is 4/4/05.

Norm Olt - I never said I was going to try to push it to 8200 miles... that was Blackstone's recommendation. I only plan on doing 7500 mi OCIs. The only reason that I went over that was because the weather hasn't exactly been nice around here until recently. Heck, it was 50F when I did this oil change. I did these two UOAs to see if it was possible to follow the "normal" maintenance schedule without any problems. It would appear that would be the case, so I'm fine with that... no need to stretch out the OCIs any longer. If I do decide to go longer, I have a few cases of full synthetic sitting in the garage ready to be used.

The oil is nearly shot at nearly 8,000 miles. There's no reason to reduce the OCI at all, much less by 2,670 miles.

sjlee: I am absolutely aware that it was their recommendation to "try 8,200" and, of course, te$t again...

We actually seem to be in total agreement that once one has determined what REALLY works one is not required to continue te$ting in order to find an oil/filter/OCI that reduces the ppm for Iron by 0.00012%, eh?

You have an excellent program envisioned, IMHO!

Cheers!

Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
sjlee: I am absolutely aware that it was their recommendation to "try 8,200" and, of course, te$t again...

We actually seem to be in total agreement that once one has determined what REALLY works one is not required to continue te$ting in order to find an oil/filter/OCI that reduces the ppm for Iron by 0.00012%, eh?

You have an excellent program envisioned, IMHO!

Cheers!

I got it. Your statement "Why try 8,200?" was more or less questioning why'd I even consider it. I never expected to go longer than 7500 mi OCIs, so mission is accomplished. I will continue with 7500 mi OCIs and no need to continue with UOAs.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back