Chevrolet S-10 tranny question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 96 S-10 with 235,000 miles on it.
Just recently the transmission stopped working right.
(I pit all 235k miles on it myself). I had a junkyard install another working tranny and new fluid.
Should I go ahead and change out the filter and add some Amsoil ATF just for extra insurance?

BTW I got the tranny and installation for 800 dollars total bill.
Doesn't seem like too bad a deal, it works fine.

I wonder how many miles are on the trans you put in? If they put in a new filter with the new fluid, let it ride. If not, then I'd change it out, plus a new filter. I like to change trans fluid and filter ~30k miles, regardless.

I was only told less than 100,000 on the replacement tranny.
Seems just fine, I don't want to do this again. It should last the remainder of this vehicle's life.

fxjohn, life is too short to worry about that. it would've been best to change the filter along with the fluid when they installed the transmission. a lot of dealerships are now doing transmission flushes without changing the filter or dropping the pan. if it's shifting properly you'll be ok until it's time for it's next service. of course it's your choice, but i wouldn't bother using amsoil products on a vehicle like this.

I would change the filter and oil if it were me. That way I know what's in it. Since this was a salvage tranny and not a reman, there's no telling when it was last serviced. I know the salvage yard told you they put new fluid in it (no mention of filter), but I'm willing to guess they didn't invest the 12 bucks for the filter and drop the pan to change it.

Quote:

Congrads on the mileage!

crazy.gif

You have been a member on here for almost 3 years and this is you first post. Congrats are in order for you!!!
thumbsup.gif
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back