Chevrolet Colorado oil recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those little inlines are good motors. Use what is recommended and change it when is recommended and the engine will likely outlast your desire to drive it!

Originally Posted By: 71Chevyguy
0W30 would not hurt anything and still keep it at the factory specs with better start-up flow for those cold nasty winter mornings.

+1 to this.

Starting to get quite chilly here. No history or experience with the 2.8. Will use 5w/30 or 0w/30 synthetic.

Originally Posted By: otis24
Starting to get quite chilly here. No history or experience with the 2.8. Will use 5w/30 or 0w/30 synthetic.

That is all you need to do and you will be in good shape for the winter.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Originally Posted By: otis24

That is all you need to do and you will be in good shape for the winter.

Larry: I did 4 years up in the Minot area, and at -20 a good block heater is essential for the Dakotas. It will help your choice of oil out even better. Stay warm and let us know what you picked out and how it worked out.
Rick

Will probably run Motorcraft 5w30 synthetic year round or Mobil 1 0w/30 (winter) and Mobil 1 5w30 summer. I work at a Ford dealership, so I can purchase at cost plus 10%. Motorcraft is a little more readily available. Either will cost me a little more than Wal-mart prices, but I don't have to stockpile or worry about disposal. I have a stock of Wix filters that I will use up.

My previous 1989 F150 spec'd 10W-30. I'm in NW NJ, we can get single digit to negative teens for weeks in the winter. With Castrol 10W-30 cold starting in these conditions was "painfully" slow and noisy. Went to Mobil 1 10W-30 and it turned over right away and was quiet. So go with the synthetic 5W-30 and you should be fine in the real cold temps.

Whimsey

I'm running M1 AFE 0w30 in my '04 Colorado 3.5L 5-cylinder. Not only is it running great, I'm getting the best MPG's I've ever gotten. I'm not saying it's all because of the oil, but I think it's at least a contributor.

Originally Posted By: mshu7
I'm running M1 AFE 0w30 in my '04 Colorado 3.5L 5-cylinder. Not only is it running great, I'm getting the best MPG's I've ever gotten. I'm not saying it's all because of the oil, but I think it's at least a contributor.

Same results with my 3.5 Colorado using 0W-30. That engine likes Mobil-1 oil.
My Chevy S-10 4.3 likes Valvoline best.
My Malibu likes Pennzoil Platinum best.

I can get the bulk synthetic blend for about $2 per quart. I had thought about running two quarts of Motorcraft full synthetic 5w/30 and three quarts of Motorcraft synthetic blend bulk. This wuld give an extra measure of protection over just synthetic blend at a much cheaper price. Our bulk is 5w/20. Will the two mix o.k.?

I did the oc today. Used two quarts of 5w/30 full synthetic and three quarts of our bulk MC 5w/20 synthetic blend. Gives me a decent oil change for about $23 (including Napa Gold filter). If I did my math correctly (not my strong suit), I should have about a 5w/24 oil that is 85% synthetic(?). This is figuring the blend at 40% synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back