Chevrolet 4.3 v6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JCCADILLACMOBILE
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'm no fan of GM but the 4.3L and 5.7L are two good engines. I could never understand why they also made the 4.3L in a V8. I had one in a Caprice and it was a POS, at least IMO. I'd like to meet the design team that came up with the idea of putting a distributor cap behind the water pump. LOL

I've always felt the engineer who designs such things should personally demonstrate the serviceability of the engine!

Nissan 240SX has Alternator UNDER the Power Steerign Pump. Once the Power Steering pump leaked a LOT, it went STRAIGHT into the Alternator..

$330 job.

LOL there are some real engineering marvels in a lot of todays cars.

Originally Posted By: JCCADILLACMOBILE
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I'm no fan of GM but the 4.3L and 5.7L are two good engines. I could never understand why they also made the 4.3L in a V8. I had one in a Caprice and it was a POS, at least IMO. I'd like to meet the design team that came up with the idea of putting a distributor cap behind the water pump. LOL

I've always felt the engineer who designs such things should personally demonstrate the serviceability of the engine!

Nissan 240SX has Alternator UNDER the Power Steerign Pump. Once the Power Steering pump leaked a LOT, it went STRAIGHT into the Alternator..

$330 job.

LOL there are some real engineering marvels in a lot of todays cars.

Yeah.. but that was a great car, and it only happened after the car got STOLEn in newark NJ, and driven as if it were a Ferrari for a looong time.

My car.. R.I.P. KA24E 240sx
frown.gif
(2.4L I4)

When I look under the hood of my Aerostar I laugh, then cursed when it came time to change the spark plugs. They jammed a V6 under the hood of something that was designed for a 4 cyl engine. I guess as they were shoving those V6 engines in there they were laughing too, saying glad I'm building them and not servicing them.

You mean 4.8 v8?? never heard of a 4.3 v8 from GM.

who does that not GM?

my 5.7 z71 has 260k my brothers '94 GA 3100 has 340K great engines

Originally Posted By: daman

who does that not GM?

5.0L is also Excellent. I also agree.. any of the 3800 Series is awesome.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Must have used Amsoil. If dino was used the engine would be sludged up and wouldn't make it past 49,345 miles before blowing up.

What? Say that to my wifes. It ran conventional in severe service at 5k mi OCI at best for 176+k miles. I switched it recently to M1 0W30 but the trucks runs perfect. No sludge at all either.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
Yes the Caprice had a 260 CI V8. It was 4.3L. Not the same as the 4.3 V6.

As I recall when I was living in Times Square for awhile that was the engine [4.3 V8] that the NYPD was using in their patrol cars [City Cars Only] and the NYC taxis were using in the 90's in their Caprices...They held up very well to all that city abuse.

My older brother has the 4.3L V6 in a 2000 or 2001 (can't remember) Chevrolet Silverado with a 5 sp manual transmission. It has over 400,000 miles on it and has seen only 1 oil since it was bought brand new. He uses Havoline 10W40. A 40 weight oil in a 6 cylinder. I tried to get him to switch to 10W30 several years ago, but he won't even consider it. At 400+K miles with NO engine problems....I can't blame him.

The 4.3L mated to a manual transmission is about as reliable as it gets.

Ok yes the 260 v8 was a Oldsmobile. I thought you meant modern days.

Not in the 90s Caprice. It was Chevy. The 307 was Olds.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Must have used Amsoil. If dino was used the engine would be sludged up and wouldn't make it past 49,345 miles before blowing up.

What? Say that to my wifes. It ran conventional in severe service at 5k mi OCI at best for 176+k miles. I switched it recently to M1 0W30 but the trucks runs perfect. No sludge at all either.
A bit of humor as most people think that syn oil is the only oil that will allow an engine to run over 50,000 miles.

My mistake it was 263 cubic inch.

from wiki:
"L99 (4.3L)

A 4.3L (263in3) was a 305 with updated block architecture to be Generation II and a reduced 3 inches (76 mm) stroke. It was designated the L99, and was introduced in 1994 for the Chevrolet Caprice. It was externally identical to the LT1, but the bore was 3.736 inches (94.9 mm) and the stroke to 3 inches (76 mm) giving it a displacement of 263 in3. The pistons used in the L99 were the same as the ones used in the Vortec 5000, but 5.94 inches (151 mm) connecting rods were used to compensate for the shorter stroke.

Like the LT1, it features sequential fuel injection, reverse-flow cooling, and an optical ignition pickup. Output is 200 hp (150 kW) and 245 lb·ft (332 N·m). Due to its smaller displacement, it provides better fuel economy than the 5.7 L LT1, but at reduced horsepower & torque levels"

who does that not GM?

Ahh Grasshopper it is a big world out there. Cut 2 cyls off a 350 V8 and like magic you have a 4.3.

I love my 4.3.

Here's my lifter valley at somewhere around 50-60k miles.

S6304023.jpg

38k on dino and the rest on synthetic.

It's been a fantastic motor, takes everything I throw at it.

Right i know that, back in '78,79 there were 260's in the cutlass,there was also a Chev SB 307.

Amen to that! The 307 in my Parent's 1982 Olds DELTA 88 Royale "Brougham" was a BEAST!!!!

WELL over 350,000 miles.. Trans rebuild, NOT Motor.

CARBURATED too! Pretty sure...

.. from Wiki:

"A V8 engine is a V engine with eight cylinders mounted on the crankcase in two banks of four cylinders, in most cases set at a right angle to each other but sometimes at a narrower angle, with all eight pistons driving a common crankshaft.[1]

In its simplest form, it is basically two straight-4 engines sharing a common crankshaft. However, this simple configuration, with a single-plane crankshaft, has the same secondary dynamic imbalance problems as two straight-4s, resulting in vibrations in large engine displacements. As a result, since the 1920s most V8s have used the somewhat more complex crossplane crankshaft with heavy counterweights to eliminate the vibrations. This results in an engine which is smoother than a V6, while being considerably less expensive than a V12 engine. Racing V8s continue to use the single plane crankshaft because it allows faster acceleration and more efficient exhaust system designs.[2]"

Seems the Olds was a "Liberty" V8 .. it was n the olds section of Wiki.

Here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_88#1977.E2.80.931985

who does that not GM?

Just real quick.. Is there a 4.8L 8, or was that a typo and misconception, 4.3L V8 instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back