Chev/GMC 5.3 & 6.2L vs 6.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still dithering on a new truck for my daughter. An SLT/LTZ 1500 with max trailer, 8 speed (8L90E) and 3.42 gears costs about the same as a 2500/3500 similarly equipped with the 6.0L and 6L90E 6 speed & 4.10 gears. Because of the terrain, either going uphill or downhill, cylinder deactivation in the 6.2 & 5.3L engines may not improve fuel economy.
The speed limit on her 45 mile each way commute is between 80-100km or 50-62 mph in the old money. She may never see 8th with the 8 speed, or 6th with a 6 speed & 3.42 gears. The 1500 chev LT with leather, ( wet dogs and drooling babies... can't get a SLE 1500 leather anymore) 5.3L max trailer & 3.73 gears is an option and $8K cheaper than the 6.0L HD, or about $80/month less payment.
Because of sharp rocks on the highway, the HDs already have the tires we need, so that saves a few bucks right out of the gate, and the serviceable suspension and steering components should last longer. There are only 2 locations to grease a 1500 and about 10 on the HDs.
Average use is 2-4k km/month or 1,500-2,500 miles.

Will the HD truck kill us with poor fuel economy, or be about the same as the 1500? Any more than a 10% increase in fuel cost will kill the HD option.

Last edited:
First question you need to ask. "What are you towing and how often?"

You can never be over trucked. You are looking at best 15 mpg highway for the 2500/3500 gasser and around 20 for the 1500.

MPG should only be considered if you are not towing. Once towing you want the most capable truck you can afford.

The 6.2 and 6.0 will get similar mpgs.

Her last truck was an 06 3500 Duramax, required for towing flare stacks in the oil patch. He got the truck, she kept the house.
The fng has a 2008 3500 6.7 Cummins, but she won't be towing anything heavier than a couple of sleds for the now.
Power is needed on steep grades with short passing lanes to get around tourists. When she borrows my 11 Duramax, my fuel economy average takes a big dump.

She's buying one of these uber expensive trucks in payments?!? What's wrong with the old truck?

If people seem to think that diesel is needed, why isn't it in the consideration space?

Ditto for payload. A 2500/3500 is a different beast. Depending upon the job, is an3/4+ ton truck needed? If not for payload, then why not consider a duramax colorado?

Baby seats won't fit in the Canyon/Colorado, already tried that option. The problem with Diesels, is that more often than not, the fuel costs more per gallon (or liters in the rest of the world) than gasoline, and the option cost eats up the fuel savings when the fuel is priced per carbon taxed energy value. In 06, pre dpf & def, the Diesel option would eventually pay for itself. Nowadays, not so much.
Loaded Diesel full size pickups are over $70K USD, or a thousand a month over 6 years. Payments? Guess who paid for the last one?
When they grow legs and run away.... "Hey Dad, I need another truck". This one is staying in my name, and she can borrow it.

Edit; I should share this thread to her FB wall.

Last edited:
I loved every ¾ ton I've owned, and I can't say the same for any of the ½ tons, well, maybe one but that had a 6800 GVW.

For fuel consumption, any motor that is working hard really kills mileage. A motor that can handle anything basically gets the same mileage light or heavy.

Brakes and suspension, sometimes drivetrain (axles, limited-slip units, even U-joints, etc) are often heavier duty on a ¾ ton, and they used to use thicker steel in the frames (not sure if they still do). But broadly speaking, if it's in the company's parts bin, the heavier stuff gets on the heavier trucks.

According to your post you are looking at about a 15% price difference. You get a lot for that 15% with a heavier truck.

My opinion only.

I'm with you on that J2B.
The one thing that annoys me to death with the 1500s is; I'm trying to buy a truck and the sales department is trying to sell me a vacuum cleaner or microwave oven.
For example it's a cold day, for the same money what would you rather have, heated seats or a spray-on box liner?
It's a nice spring day, how about a sunroof or power back window instead of turn by turn navigation that is already free on your smart phone?
And no, I don't want 22 inch tires 'n wheels on an "off road" truck.
And 3.08 gears with a X .63 final overdrive, what is wrong with you people?
I need the big mirrors that come with the max trailer package... SO I CAN SEE my blind spots instead of a radar package and driver assist for $1500 that TELLS me a vehicle is beside me.
End of rant? I'm just getting warmed up.

I think TFL truck does a credible job, and are fairly impartial.

Anyway, lots of videos of 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton gas and diesel trucks, and other vehicles being tested towing, empty, etc.

I took their findings into account earlier this year, when I was looking for a new truck.

TFL TRuck

Yeah, those guys are a hoot. But, if you have more power and go up a grade faster the vehicle will consume more fuel.
Taken to extreme for visualization, a 25,000 ton potash train achieves the best fuel economy climbing a grade between 9 and 12mph.
FLT do all their fuel economy tests climbing the Ike at WOT.
Their 100 mile mpg route is slightly better, but it is still a timed run, again with on-ramp acceleration @ WOT which punishes the trucks with large powerful engines.

Nevertheless, there aren't too many other entities testing new trucks with somewhat standardized testing procedures to the extent they do. At least it's better info than we can get from any new truck Dealer I've ever encountered.

Obviously the driving sequence for OEM fuel economy standards have no connection to reality, because they are not repeatable in the field.
Nobody drives like that. If you want to live, taking a mile to get up to the posted speed is Darwin revisited.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
I'm still dithering on a new truck for my daughter. An SLT/LTZ 1500 with max trailer, 8 speed (8L90E) and 3.42 gears costs about the same as a 2500/3500 similarly equipped with the 6.0L and 6L90E 6 speed & 4.10 gears. Because of the terrain, either going uphill or downhill, cylinder deactivation in the 6.2 & 5.3L engines may not improve fuel economy.
The speed limit on her 45 mile each way commute is between 80-100km or 50-62 mph in the old money. She may never see 8th with the 8 speed, or 6th with a 6 speed & 3.42 gears. The 1500 chev LT with leather, ( wet dogs and drooling babies... can't get a SLE 1500 leather anymore) 5.3L max trailer & 3.73 gears is an option and $8K cheaper than the 6.0L HD, or about $80/month less payment.
Because of sharp rocks on the highway, the HDs already have the tires we need, so that saves a few bucks right out of the gate, and the serviceable suspension and steering components should last longer. There are only 2 locations to grease a 1500 and about 10 on the HDs.
Average use is 2-4k km/month or 1,500-2,500 miles.

Will the HD truck kill us with poor fuel economy, or be about the same as the 1500? Any more than a 10% increase in fuel cost will kill the HD option.

Only you can answer the questions as to the towing needs for this truck, however if you're even considering a 3/4 ton truck I'd wager to say that the 5.3 truck is likely inadequate platform for your towing needs.

A few of the things you discuss seem mutually exclusive, such as the mileage of a 6.0 and the 10% factor for comparision with a 1500 max tow. Either you need the capacity of the 3/4 ton truck, or you need the mileage of the 1500, I'm not sure you're going to get both. In my experience the 6.0 equipped 3/4 ton trucks rarely, if ever exceed 15 MPG in real world applications, with most hovering around the 10-12 MPG range. I would expect the 6.2 1500 and 6.0 2500 to get similar mileage towing similar loads. The 6.2 "should" do better unloaded with extra transmission gears, higher rear gears and AFM, it's also lighter.

Your frustration with the 1500/2500 GM trucks mirrors mine in the gas offerings. The 6.0 is a tried and true workhorse, but it's terrible on fuel, it really just fills the price point for a gas engine in that truck. The 1500 6.2 is a fantastic engine, but the 1500 comes with all the fancy whiz bang gadgets a working man's truck doesn't need or want. If I was going to buy a gas powered 3/4 ton truck tomorrow it'd be a Dodge with the 6.4 Hemi, killer power, MDS, built from the ground up as an industrial/commercial engine backed up with an excellent transmission, solid front axle, etc. The 6.4 Hemi KILLS the 6.0 in unloaded economy.

If she intends to tow heavy or often I think she needs the 3/4 ton truck, if she's going to be towing light or infrequently the 6.2 Max Tow should be fine. I agree with what others have said, you can't have too much truck.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
I'm with you on that J2B.
The one thing that annoys me to death with the 1500s is; I'm trying to buy a truck and the sales department is trying to sell me a vacuum cleaner or microwave oven.
For example it's a cold day, for the same money what would you rather have, heated seats or a spray-on box liner?
It's a nice spring day, how about a sunroof or power back window instead of turn by turn navigation that is already free on your smart phone?
And no, I don't want 22 inch tires 'n wheels on an "off road" truck.
And 3.08 gears with a X .63 final overdrive, what is wrong with you people?
I need the big mirrors that come with the max trailer package... SO I CAN SEE my blind spots instead of a radar package and driver assist for $1500 that TELLS me a vehicle is beside me.
End of rant? I'm just getting warmed up.

+1. Every so often I check eBay for "Silverado duramax" trucks, and its incredible how many lifted, fancied and done up trucks there are which are very young... probably $15k in mods on top of a $50-70k truck!

At least $15k in mods. That exact scenario has played out twice in the last 10 years, notably in Alberta, Canada.
Kids get out of high skul (I never went), and start making $15-20k a month in the patch. The 1st place they head with paycheck in hand is the Ford, Ram or GM dealership. The next paycheck goes to the custom shop for tires, lift kit and DPF delete 'n tune. Next comes the double sled deck, dirt bikes and boat, all on credit of course.
In 2008 those boy toys were repossessed and sold to the highest bidder with modifications actually devaluing the ride as dealers don't want lifted emission deleted trucks with 44" tires.
The economy recovered from the 2008 meltdown and the sequel followed when oil tanked to $25. More lifted F350s for sale cheap.
I can't post the animated youtube videos here for censorship reasons, but for the curious may search "Stevie at site" video for the uncut Alberta story.

FlyNavyP3; I hear you on the Ram option. The employee parking lot where I worked almost 40 years is full of them. And they love them which is contagious. They like to park their brand next to each other making the lot look like a Ram dealership.
GMC/Chev is oblivious to the bleeding of their brands because they don't LISTEN to their fan base, and I have to TYPE IN BOLD which is the same as yelling apparently, because the decision makers at GM, Mary excluded, are either deaf, daft or both.
Here is an example; Ask any Chev/GMC owner what they don't like about their trucks and they will say the square fenders and chrome.
If I won a Denali in a lottery I would drive it without the grill and get a gasoline hood without the hideous chrome surround Duramax hood scoop. Another complaint is that it takes ALL AFTERNOON to change the headlight bulbs.
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?
I just discovered the caps lock button next to the any key.

Last edited:
If I were to get amgas 3/4 ton truck it would be a hemi 2500 dodge....though I would prefer to get a tundra. The newer ones are still half ton class I think....but they are pretty [censored] tough, look at the tow figures.

The TRD Pro are popular around here, the Tacos look like they have a bigger crew cab than the mid-size GMs.
Now if only we could get a Diesel Hilux in NA, it might put the wanna-be Colorado/Canyons on the trailer.
I have all kinds of 6x139.7mm bolt pattern wheels from older GMs and Tacos that won't fit the new GM trucks,
because they used they USED THE SMALLER SUV bolt pattern on the new Canyons & Colorado.
That tells me that GM is OUT OF TOUCH with the off road enthusiasts that might otherwise have extra wheels 'n tires that fit.

The OP was asking about two GM's - I avoided mentioning F150 ecoboost and now it's Taco and bash GM.
My Canyon can hold its own - thanks.
The Hilux did not pass the moose test - stay with Taco's - safer ...

The guy who rents my daughter's basement suit bought a Ford ecoboost 6 months ago and now wishes he didn't. Trouble in paradise; it's been in the shop a few times already, is gutless and fuel economy is worse than his old F150 with the 5 point something liter V8.

I posted tacos are popular around here, and implied that Hilux like the old land cruisers are proven products that passed the test of time. That is why they still sell, where GM's mid-size trucks are still finding their feet. Some dealerships can't keep enough of them in stock. I think it depends on the location and local demographics.
If Canyons and Colorado were perfect, the other brands would sit on dealer lots, but obviously they must be lacking in some respects.
If GM wants to sell small trucks to other than single guys or childless couples, then the crew cabs are going to need a few more inches. The simple solution is to give up 6 inches of box and add it to the cab.
If it was just me, I would buy a 2.8L Duramax ZL2 or a SLT Canyon and do my own suspension 'n tires. Add kids 'n dogs and suddenly a mid-size is too small.

Last edited:
Or past all that and big trucks like I am (and can get commercial trucks) ...
The 1st Canyon had to leave town when the H3 only sold 9600 units - and the La plant was doomed for shut down. I bought mine late 2009 and it has never seen the dealership - it was one of only 2 V8's with leather within 500 miles - having owned the I5 - thought I should jump on one - the power flows through a reliable 4L60e and 4.10 Eaton locker - so I'm still very pleased with the little guy. It spent a half hour with water sprinklers under it yesterday after another full size rescue (will admit a Chevy this time) ...
Surprised about the F150 - I know several folks (one of my supvs has both the V8 & V6 and the eB tows better) ... in the show downs the magazines say GM needs the 6L to get even ...
If I were to invoke Toyota into this - the Tundra is more or less a 5/8 ton with a powerful V8 ...
PS: we run TLC's over seas - a dichotomy of sorts with the nice interior and rough ride - but the roads are so bad the wealthiest play with VelociRaptors ... that Ford is not gutless ...

One guy at work bought a Ram Rebel last year. Outdoorsy type, needed the off-road capabilities. Vinyl instead of leather if you like red. Because there are 16,000 employees we get the same as "employee pricing" and can order from the big 3 without going through a dealership. The GM dealerships can do preferred pricing up front through the fleet department, not sure about the others. I found that as soon as you tell a sales person you want something specific, maybe off-lot, they lose interest.
This is what I want, because it is what I need and don't try to sell me a microwave oven or a vacuum cleaner with paint sealer.
Back in the day you could order a car or truck with the options you wanted; this engine, that transmission and an appropriate rear axle ratio. Now just like cable TV, if you want the sports channel, it's only available in a package deal that includes cooking, cleaning, shopping, religious and the Sally Struthers crying for money channel.

I'll take a leather 1500 LT 6.2L 8L90E, 4.10 gear 275/70/18 tires without traction control, anti-lock brakes, radio or stabilitrac.
Fat chance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back