Chev 2.2L Ecotec - 5W30 vs 10W30 Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
The owner's manual for my 2004 Chev Cavalier with 2.2L Ecotec motor indicated that 5W30 oil is recommended for year round use and 10W30 is "acceptable" above a certain temperature "if" 5W30 is unavailable.

Because I was wondering if it would be a benefit to shift from 5W30 to 10W30 in the summer, I asked GM in an email the reason why 5W30 is recommended all year. I asked if, due to design tolerances, it provides better protection even in summer. It seems I'm not going to get a reply.

Any thoughts?

When the oil is warmed up to normal oil temps, both have the same viscosity. Its only when the oil is cold is that the viscosities are different. So that being said, your engine will favor 5w30 over 10w30 even in hot weather, because it can get to the top end like the camshaft faster over the 10w30, even though the difference in the summer time is only like nonoseconds. A few of the 5w30's are a tad thicker warm then 10w30's believe it or not. When you email gm about can I use 10w30..., they will only give you the outlined recommendation as in your service manual.

I'd run an SAE 0w-30 year round ....

These Esso 0w-30/0w-40 formulations appear to be excellent and the price is very reasonable. They will also allow you to run change intervals at least twice as long as you can with a conventional petroleum oil. Fuel savings alone will probably pay for the cost difference in this case.

TS

If their is a SAAB dealership near by the long life 0W30 they sell has done realy well! If not Esso XD-3 0W30 adn 0W40 are turning good results!

You can use either. I have posted quite a few UOA in the UOA section of this site.

My wife has this exact same engine in her 2002 Olds Alero.

I would recommend running something a little heavier than the 10cSt (low end of 30W) oils available. I'm currently using German Castrol 0W-30 in this car which is around 12 cSt. Copper has dropped quite a bit and the oil doesn't thin out (ACEA A3 rated is the GC).

~mikemc - that chevron/havoline is really nice stuff too

[ March 15, 2005, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: CincyGTS ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back