Chest vs. Upright freezer - which to choose?

We had a chest freezer but got smart and gave the chest freezer to the wife's sister.Bought a frost free upright and a food saver and the rest is history.Using the food saver to vacuum seal meats eliminates freezer burn.

Same upright here for 15 years or so. Had to have the thermostat replaced once. That was during the late Covid time when new freezers were soaring in price and were also unobtainium. It was worth the $400. Parts no longer existed so the VERY experienced repairman made a different one work. I'm old, rotund, and as flexible as a brick so uprights only for me.

Get rid of the chest and buy TWO uprights that will fit in the same space😜
Also make sure you get “garage ready”. The compressor will continue to work if the temp get down below freezing. (Others will quit working below 40 degrees).
Our Frigidaire has worked for years.

We have a chest freezer and the upright half of a side by side refrigerator. The chest type is so old it's avocado (which was the only colour available when we were in the market). That would be about 1979 - 81, so it's +/- 45 years old.

It's easy to lose things in the chest type. Things fall out of the upright when you open the door (and you can't find anything in there anyway). Maybe a full size upright would be better but the only advantage of the freezer in this side by side is that it's in the kitchen.

We've had 2 side by side refrigerators now. They both came as part of a real estate transaction. That's a terrible design for a refrigerator and no, we will never buy one. As a matter of principle we run useful things until they drop and as my wife says, because she really dislikes it, it will last forever.

New 60" Element

IMG_6945.jpeg
IMG_6944.jpeg

And 50" Frigidaire from 2021

We've had 2 side by side refrigerators now. They both came as part of a real estate transaction. That's a terrible design for a refrigerator and no, we will never buy one. As a matter of principle we run useful things until they drop and as my wife says, because she really dislikes it, it will last forever.
We have a side by side fridge freezer also and like you guys we won’t replace it if it still works(been 10 years so far)

I noticed almost no one makes a side by side any more so I’m guessing I’m alone on this but I dont mind it at all… what is it that is better on the over/under units that are popular now? I’m guessing is just stuff I never thought about

Last edited:
Mine does have the cooling tubes built into the shelfs so no fan. The fan type are worse for freezer burn.
I have the shelf tubes and the maker instilled the fear of god into me via warning labels not to nick them during defrosting.

They almost immediately frost up, kind of a downer. But the frost spreads more slowly from that point on.

Upright. I've got a chest freezer and can't stand it. Everything is constantly buried and I have to empty 1/2 the freezer every time I need to get something. The darn thing still works fine so it seems wasteful getting a new upright, but I think the time has come.

I don't understand the multiple refrigerator/freezer thing. We have one side by side in the kitchen that we can somehow manage to keep all our food in. Boomers gonna boom, my parents have 2 refrigerators for some unknown reason and my mother in law that lives alone has 3. Ridiculous.

After decades of experience with chest freezers, I'm thinking of upgrading to an upright.
One of the main benefits of a chest is the lower energy costs as well as purchase cost.
I just hate having to unpack almost everything to access things near the bottom, takes so much time.

Does anyone have experience with an upright they'd like to share?
Any potential downsides I should consider?
How's the life expectancy? The chest freezer being replaced is easily over 15 years of age.
The only reason we're considering an upgrade, is it's size (thanks Costco!)
Also, how does one defrost one of these? Or is that an issue?
If you planning on putting it in the garage or non air conditioned room you will need to make sure it can handle higher temperatures or the warranty will be voided.

I don't understand the multiple refrigerator/freezer thing. We have one side by side in the kitchen that we can somehow manage to keep all our food in. Boomers gonna boom, my parents have 2 refrigerators for some unknown reason and my mother in law that lives alone has 3. Ridiculous.
If you are a true foodie and buy a side of beef, a pig, a lamb and have a garden and some fruit trees, plus live in an area the flourishes in organic produce - you don't have to be a boomer, you just have to be smart.

You clowns and your insults. Ridiculous.

:LOL: :D :p

We have a Frigidaire upright approximately 18CF. Its frost free and we love it. At our other house we have 70's upright Westinghouse. It isn't frost free but still freezes good with very little burn. The newer one is in the garage and I leave a box fan in the window running all the time in the summer. The older one is in my workroom down stairs. My wife's little sister only has chest freezers and looses stuff in them all the time. I'll never own a chest type..

Back