CHEMICAL NAMES AND SYNONYMS: SYN. HYDROCARBONS AND ADDITIVES

GLOBALLY REPORTABLE MSDS INGREDIENTS:

None.

OTHER INGREDIENTS:

Substance Name Approx. Wt%

-------------- -----------

POLYOLEFIN POLYAMINE 1-5

SUCCINIMIDE, POLYOL

See Section 8 for exposure limits (if applicable).

Thanks!

Went and did a little reserach instead of just blabberin my mouth off (same thing I get on others about!)...

Polyol esters can extend the high temperature operating range of a lubricant by as much as 50 - 100C due to their superior stability and low volatility. They are also renowned for their film strength and increased lubricity which is useful in reducing energy consumption in many applications. The only downside of polyol esters compared to diesters is their higher price; they are generally 20 - 70% higher on a wholesale basis.

Polyol esters are also the ester of choice for blending with PAOs in passenger car motor oils. This change from lower cost diesters to polyols was driven primarily by the need for reduced fuel consumption and lower volatility in modern specifications. They are used in 2-cycle oils as well for the same reasons plus biodegradability.

In general, polyol esters represent the highest performance level available for high temperature applications at a reasonable price. Although they cost more than many other types of synthetics, the benefits often combine to make this chemistry the most cost effective in severe environment applications. The primary benefits include extended life, higher temperature operation, reduced maintenance and downtime, lower energy consumption, reduced smoke and disposal, and biodegradability.

Is the bold text the answer that what you were looking for?

[ February 17, 2004, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

I think the polyolefin part is G4 and polyol is ester. But combined like it seems here....I don't know?
confused.gif

EDIT: This is from Mobil 1 0W-40's MSDS.

Molakule can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is the VI improver, not the base oil.

G-Man,
Well, the concentration is very low at only 1-5% by weight, so you might be right......unless, the polyol part is the little bit of esters adder for miscibility and seal swell?? The darn thing doesn't show the concentration of the other stuff (base, adds, etc)
mad.gif

I've been looking at QS' MSDS and they are much more detailed than any other I've seen so far.

The G-Man is correct . It's a VI Improver patented by Exxon but it's a multi-functional one .

EDIT

Last_Z ,

A quick search revealed more detailed information on this additive is in your PM box

[ February 17, 2004, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
The G-Man is correct . It's a VI Improver patented by Exxon but it's a multi-functional one .

EDIT

Last_Z ,

A quick search revealed more detailed information on this additive is in your PM box

patriot.gif

It appears to be a dispersant-type Viscosity Index Improver.

Why not show the complete MSDS with full title?

Jelly,
Yeah...that's one of the answers I was lookimg for. If that was correct thoguh, that is a very tiny amount of esters in the M1 0W40.

Mola,
That's all that was there!
frown.gif

EDIT:
Here is where I got that info from.

[ February 17, 2004, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Last_Z ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back