Chemicals used in professional fuel injector cleaning machines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know which chemicals a professional fuel injector cleaning machine uses? I have a small setup that will allow me to connect my side-feed injectors to a pressurized system and fire the injectors in order to view/verify a good consistent spray pattern, before installing the fuel injectors back into the fuel rail. I have a lot of injectors to test/clean.

Most the information I found pertains to injector cleaners as a fuel additive, rather than a direct cleaner. I'm interested in using a good cleaner, that will not damage the o-rings on the injectors (if possible). I'm also looking for something affordable to purchase locally, in 5 gallons or less (ideally by the gallon).

I looked at Toluene, as it seems to be an ingredient in many other cleaners, but it looks like it could be tough on o-rings, unless the o-rings are made of the newer Viton Extreme (rather than A, B, or F). I don't yet know what the material of my o-rings are, though I suppose I could use old o-rings in the fuel injector cleaning machine, before installing new ones for use.

I can use straight cleaning fluid, or I could mix it with fuel (to avoid the volume needed in the small tank to source the pump, etc.).

Does anyone have any experience with the chemicals used in the professional cleaning machines?

Polyether amine (PEA) is the active ingredient in quality fuel system cleaners, it's a complex heavy synthesized molecule. Toluene is an aromatic hydrocarbon, and strong solvent which is highly reactive but WyrTwister pointed out it will yield some very nasty acidic bi-products you do not want to breathe. Do not do this in a tailor in a shady part of town cause your neighbors will probably think you're breaking bad in there. Also most aromatic hydrocarbon based solvents have the potential to cause the deterioration of rubber parts and seals .

I remember researching this once, and found one popular brew was chiefly Xylene, with some other chemicals (alcohol, acetone) mixed in.

I personally use alcohol to ultrasonically clean injectors.

Originally Posted by GZRider
Polyether amine (PEA) is the active ingredient in quality fuel system cleaners, it's a complex heavy synthesized molecule...

PEA is my hands-down go to for injector cleaning. It's so effective, I find adding it to gas is plenty potent enough. Strongly recommend you look for something with that in it (I only buy the retail units from Gumout and Chevron, sorry can't help).

Originally Posted by Spddm0n
I have a small setup that will allow me to connect my side-feed injectors to a pressurized system and fire the injectors in order to view/verify a good consistent spray pattern, before installing the fuel injectors back into the fuel rail.

You already have the injectors out? Just send them off to an injector cleaning service. They use an ultrasonic machine that is steps beyond just just running fluid through them. For $10-12 each, it's the best way to go.

Originally Posted by Oro_O
Polyether amine (PEA) is the active ingredient in quality fuel system cleaners, it's a complex heavy synthesized molecule...

PEA is my hands-down go to for injector cleaning. It's so effective, I find adding it to gas is plenty potent enough. Strongly recommend you look for something with that in it (I only buy the retail units from Gumout and Chevron, sorry can't help).

I put some Gumount (with PEA) in my wife's Rav4. The next day she asked me what I did to make it so much more responsive and peppy. So, yes, I'd recommend a PEA gas treatment or two before pulling injectors.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
What ever you use , please use personal protection , including breathing protection & work in a WELL ventilated .

I did a google search for fule injector cleaning machine and came up with this ;

https://www.google.com/search?clien...Dn0sbkAhUIP60KHQ3dAWkQ4dUDCAs&uact=5

I would contact some of those companies and ash what their machines use as a cleaning fluid .

Best of luck to you .

Would that include...🤔...‚

That
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
What ever you use , please use personal protection , including breathing protection & work in a WELL ventilated .

I did a google search for fule injector cleaning machine and came up with this ;

https://www.google.com/search?clien...Dn0sbkAhUIP60KHQ3dAWkQ4dUDCAs&uact=5

I would contact some of those companies and ash what their machines use as a cleaning fluid .

Best of luck to you .

That's a good idea, thanks. I read on one of those machines, the solution is even biodegradeable.

Originally Posted by Ed_Flecko
I have used B-12 Chemtool Fuel Injector Cleaner (https://bit.ly/2YIyQFc) for years and really like it.

I see the guys at "Horsepower for an Hour" (https://bit.ly/2kCw9C7) really like it as well. Here's an interesting YouTube video (https://bit.ly/2ka3Iv3) where they run PURE Berryman B-12 (NO gasoline) through this Denali to clean the injectors!

Ed

Thanks for the links. I watched those videos. Interesting...I would love to have a setup to monitor fuel trims on a computer like that too see the results.

Polyether amine (PEA) is the active ingredient in quality fuel system cleaners, it's a complex heavy synthesized molecule. Toluene is an aromatic hydrocarbon, and strong solvent which is highly reactive but WyrTwister pointed out it will yield some very nasty acidic bi-products you do not want to breathe. Do not do this in a tailor in a shady part of town cause your neighbors will probably think you're breaking bad in there. Also most aromatic hydrocarbon based solvents have the potential to cause the deterioration of rubber parts and seals .

Thanks for the thoughts. I have used a lacquer thinner that is mostly toluene, and it's pretty nasty stuff, and it does require a well ventilated area.
smile.gif
Seems to me there must be a much simpler and safer cleaning agent if the cleaner doesn't have to be entered into the entire fuel system.

Originally Posted by Kestas
I remember researching this once, and found one popular brew was chiefly Xylene, with some other chemicals (alcohol, acetone) mixed in.

I personally use alcohol to ultrasonically clean injectors.

I'm interested in the ultrasonic cleaning process. How do you suspend the injector in the bath of alcohol, without getting liquid into the electrical part of the injector? Also, I have older side-feed injectors so that makes the process of connecting flow sources more difficult. Did you buy your own little ultrasonic machine? I noticed you can buy some of the little jewelry ultrasonic cleaners pretty cheap.

Originally Posted by Oro_O

Thanks for the reply. I saw this video (this guy read into some engineering journals and found the results he presents in his video) where PEA has been tested to cause additional deposits to form on the pistons and cylinder heads, while cleaning off the intake valves. I think PEA might be a toss-up in a cost/benefit evaluation.

Originally Posted by zfasts03
Not sure what is in it, but I use BG44K with great results.

Many of my friends use this too. If I was going to use it in the fuel system (gas tank), this is likely what I would use. I could mix it in high concentration with some fuel, but I wondered if these ingredients could damage my injector o-rings in higher than recommended concentrations. ???

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Spddm0n
I have a small setup that will allow me to connect my side-feed injectors to a pressurized system and fire the injectors in order to view/verify a good consistent spray pattern, before installing the fuel injectors back into the fuel rail.

You already have the injectors out? Just send them off to an injector cleaning service. They use an ultrasonic machine that is steps beyond just just running fluid through them. For $10-12 each, it's the best way to go.

I checked into the cost for ultrasonic cleaning. It was $25 or more to have them cleaned, last time I checked. I just did a google search and found a place that will do it for $20 each, but want another $5 each for flow testing. Problem is, I will have 12-18 per month I want to clean/inspect the spray pattern. It makes sense to make my own apparatus if I can.
smile.gif

It might have been a few years ago, but $10-$12 for testing, cleaning, retesting afterwards was what I paid. From some place in Florida with marine in it's name. A quick search finds http://injectorrepair.com says, Complete ultrasonic cleaning and Flow Testing service of gasoline fuel injectors for only $17 per injector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back