Chemical seal repair - Delvac 1, MaxLife or ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

this is regarding our old International tractor with an D155 diesel engine. It runs good but consumes some oil and one thing we can blame for it is the rear crankshaft seal. Currently it is on its fourth oil fill of Mobil Delvac MX Extra 10w-40, a Gr. I/III based CI-4/SL lubricant. All in all, we have been using this oil for 600 - 700 hrs. With the drain plug on the side of the oil pan, it's easy to view inside when the oil is being changed. My impression is that the oil pan looks cleaner everytime. This cleaning proces has not really done anything to the crankshaft seal, I would say the oil loss is the same as before. Is there a chemical solution for this seal or is it simply worn?

There are different opinions on seal conditioning out there, so what do you think a seal conditioner additive can do for this engine?

If Valvoline MaxLife meets API CF, it should be able to protect this engine. Would MaxLife be an option?

Since we use Delvac 1 in the other tractors, I have always been thrilled to use it in that old engine too. Has anyone ever "repaired" a high mileage engine with a synthetic HDEO?

I have had 100% success using Auto-Rx on a steering rack seal leak and a tranfer case input shaft seal leak. That would be where I would start with your leak.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
I have had 100% success using Auto-Rx on a steering rack seal leak and a tranfer case input shaft seal leak. That would be where I would start with your leak.

I second that! And, i might add not to use the M1 when in the clean/rinse phases or any HM oils like MaxLife. Send Frank an email at Auto-Rx w/ any ?'s you might have he's more than happy to answer them!
Joe

Auto-RX would be my first choice, and Max-life my second choice. Do not use these two products together at the same time as they have conflicting chemistries if mixed together which will diminish the results.

If the seal is worn, then cleaning won't fix it. If it's distorted due to dirt or hardening, then cleaning may fix it over time. I'd fully explore cleaning it before adding seal swelling agents.

Thank you guys, I have contacted Frank, asking about a dealer in Germany. Obviously there are none. If I order online, the shipping cost to Germany is $56, which I cannot justify at the moment, sorry.

Gary, unfortunately most of the leak fixing additives I see on the shelves here are likely to have seal swelling properties. This one is easy to find locally:

Liqui Moly

Is this something to stay away from?

Don't know whether the seal is worn and how old it is, we bought this tractor in 2003. A leaking crankshaft seal is not uncommon with German IH engines, but I doubt anyone has ever investigated why they leak.

It has been said somewhere on this forum that certain oils do have cleaning properties equivalent to Auto-Rx, how likely is that??

Last edited:
This is a relatively new engine. If it's been reasonably cared for, it should not be that dirty.

Yes, I'd say all leak fixers have seal swelling agents. Sometimes they work ..sometimes not.

That's high shipping
shocked2.gif
Interesting restrictions to Germany.

Prohibitions (130)

Absinthe.

Arms and weapons.

Articles bearing political or religious notations on the address side.

Human remains.

Live plants and animals.

Melatonin.

Perishable infectious biological substances.

Playing cards, except in complete decks properly wrapped.

Pulverized coca beans.

Radioactive materials.

http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/fh_011.htm#ep1379549

Go to the bottom, it shouldn't cost more than $30 to ship 3 bottles. Naturally there's some fee for packaging and whatnot ..but $54 is out there.

Gary, the engine is from 1973, meaning relatively OLD, if that does not interfere with your point of view on your personal age
grin2.gif
The tractor was 30 years old when we acquired it and of course it has an unknown maintenance history.

Shipping seems to be $56.xx even for a single bottle. I can't blame him for it, many companies do have a minimum fee. Today we received 3 BNC cables at EUR 1.21 each, while shipping cost was 4.90, but I think it was worth it.

USPS is a relatively inexpensive overseas shipping service, as you already found out last year. Recently they charged $41 or $42 to ship a bunch of Case IH parts from a dealer in PA, maybe not too far away from your place. Customs charges ended up being 2.7% along with the German 19% VAT.

The downside is that I had to go to the local customs office to get our parts and they wanted cash from me.

Originally Posted By: Extreme-Duty
Originally Posted By: vxcalais
What is Absinthe ? And whats the deal with the playing cards ?

Good questions, does this answer the absinthe part? Wikipedia

Why no anise flavored alcoholic beverage?

No imported anise alcoholic beverages. We won't take your butter or milk unless you package it in cookies or chocolate. Fair is fair, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back