Cheese Enchiladas w/Spanish Rice

We love making ethinic food, but hispanic/latin never seems to make the list, due to the lack of authenticity, as it often seems altered to suit the western diet. Can someone help with an authentic recipe for the aforementioned? Inspiration comes from the, What are you eating right now? thread. Please forgive my ignorance and thanks in advance.

This is about as close to homemade as you'll get besides going to your favorite Mexican restaurant and getting their recipe. Red chili cheese/beef enchiladas are to die for and the Spanish/Mexican rice is the perfect side dish. :love:

This just brought back a memory. We used to have a guy in our crew that was a retired NYC police officer. One day, a few guys ordered lunch from a new chinese place. He opens his and the rice was that yellow rice that they sell in bodegas. He said What is this cop killer rice doing in my chinese food? I look over and see the bright yellow rice and almost fall out of my chair laughing.

This brings up another thought. I live in NY, basically the pizza capitol of the world. I have great pizza at my beckoned call. Recently, from watching things like the Chef Show and Ugly Delicious on Netflix, I've come to the realization that I've probably never had a truly good taco. I may have to venture west.

Last edited:
Considering I'm mildly Puerto Rican 🇵🇷, decent yellow rice was never hard to procure

Also being in NYC, I'm spoiled for choice 🤣

Add beans, chicken (arroz con pollo), or coconut (if your into that)

I haven't had Arroz con gandules in ages😳

Packets of Sazon seasoning added to regular long grain white rice (Canilla iirc) is good, Goya sells it all in one box if you don't want to buy a big bag

Considering I've sat around the table at Titi's house in suburban San Juan, and had yellow rice/chicken stew made up from scratch

...the seasoning packet and well made white rice is 8/10 as good

She said it's good, so I'm not inclined to argue with her 🤷‍♂️

It may not have the love, but she's 80 something and she shouldn't be man handling the big bag of rice anymore

Of course my only expertise is of more caribbean hispanic food (DR/PR/Cuba)

If your looking for Mexican or Spain offerings, there's plenty good there too 🍛

I have a spectacular Mexican burrito place a block from my job and an equally great paella place a block in the opposite direction. Oh and even a Sophie's nearby when I'm in the mood for a Cuban. I actually have it pretty good in my little corner of Manhattan.

We love making ethinic food, but hispanic/latin never seems to make the list, due to the lack of authenticity, as it often seems altered to suit the western diet. Can someone help with an authentic recipe for the aforementioned? Inspiration comes from the, What are you eating right now? thread. Please forgive my ignorance and thanks in advance.
All of this is of course regional and family specific. Just think of Southern Cooking or Cajun in the USA.
But Rick Bayless used to be on PBS with the best Mexican/Spanish cooking show I can recall. Maybe you cab hunt up some old video or recipes online.

Closest I can find is Zatarain's Spanish rice which I really like or Rice A Roni Spanish rice is ok.

There is a big difference between Mexican and Spanish rice but I like them both.
👍 just made the Zararain’s yellow rice yesterday. They have the best boxed food. Jambalaya, red beans and rice..... all good stuff especially when you mix with your own fresh vegetables and meat.

👍 just made the Zararain’s yellow rice yesterday. They have the best boxed food. Jambalaya, red beans and rice..... all good stuff especially when you mix with your own fresh vegetables and meat.
The red beans and rice is my fav, I usually mix in some Johnsonville Hot Italian sausage or Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage with a can of diced tomatoes.

Long time Lurker, first time poster: This came up in my recommended threads at the bottom of another page and as it's over a year since anyone's added to it I thought "what they hey" 😁

This is my favorite Mexican rice recipe. Try it you'll like it I promise!

1 Tbsp oil 3/4 cup rice
1tsp garlic powder
1Tsp onion powder
Pinch oregano
1/2 Tsp cumin
1 tbsp boullion chicken
1 Tsp salt
1/3 cup Sauce tomato
2 cups chicken broth warmed (I use Knorr chicken bullion powder here and it works fine)
Brown rice with oil in heavy cast iron pan- stir evenly, then add sauce, add spices (toast) then broth. Cover with lid. Once broth in, don’t stir and keep lid on at least 10mins.

m00se

I’ll look for my recipes when I get home, but I have a good Chili Queen enchilada recipe that I made for my “History of Mexico” (college course) project. It’s very “from scratch,” down to grinding your own dried guajillo or pasilla chile peppers and sifting the sauce through a strainer.

My mother-in-law showing me how to fry corn tortillas was a real game changer… that and making my own spice blends vs. “taco seasoning.”

I’ll look for my recipes when I get home, but I have a good Chili Queen enchilada recipe that I made for my “History of Mexico” (college course) project. It’s very “from scratch,” down to grinding your own dried guajillo or pasilla chile peppers and sifting the sauce through a strainer.

My mother-in-law showing me how to fry corn tortillas was a real game changer… that and making my own spice blends vs. “taco seasoning.”
Always down for a good enchilada recipe Chris! Here's one I've made a few times. I loved the crème burrito I used to get at this now-defunct Mexican place in Huntsville, NC of all places. I've gotten closest with this one:

https://www.homesicktexan.com/sour-...s-recipe/?mc_cid=27a47829ac&mc_eid=abe093c490

I'd look at this website. The Mexicanist. They have a very interesting write up that showcases enchilada varieties by region. I don't think many in the USA see all of the variations by state in Mexico. The Mexicanist

Found the recipe scans!
Chile Puree.jpg
Chili Queen Enchiladas.jpg

Back