Checking VIN on my old totaled out SUV

It's hot out, and I'm bored inside on the computer. Was looking over some paper work and I found the VIN on my totaled out 2019 Murano. Did a google search on it and it had a few pictures of it, I'm guessing in a salvage yard. All of the results seem to be in Russian language or from that area of Europe. I always thought maybe Copart got it or since we are somewhat close to Mexico it went down there. VIN 5N1AZ2MJ7KN112899

All of the results seem to be in Russian language or from that area of Europe
Those are generally just web-crawling websites - they look for certain terms and compile them. I found my son's car's VIN listed on 2-3 like that and it was just sold at insurance auction about a week and a half ago so it's not like it's been shipped across the Atlantic to be parted out or rebuilt.

If you have a Carfax Car Care account, you can put that VIN in and might get some info. Our '05 Odyssey was totaled by insurance 5+ years ago but it was registered in Indiana within a year of it being totaled and it's now driving around in Michigan (it had an oil change done a couple of weeks ago).

Most of the time, the salvage or junk yards don't bother with title transfers if they are being parted and scrapped out.. So you may not see much information beyond your ownership. Your state's BMV web site might have a VIN search as my state has.
If it goes to Copart, title changes to the insurance company till Copart gets a successful bidder..

Looks like an intermediary site for buying vehicles at US auctions.

A car being “totaled” doesn’t mean anything. An owner can “buy back” their totaled vehicle, and they can be auctioned/sold/etc. Sonits very reasonable that a totaled car would be found again.

Copart was all weird about my Pontiac Vibe that I found on the website. It said "for export". They acted weird when I asked where it was being exported to. They said they couldn't tell me anything about where it's going.

Copart was all weird about my Pontiac Vibe that I found on the website. It said "for export". They acted weird when I asked where it was being exported to. They said they couldn't tell me anything about where it's going.
They have no interest or time in dealing with question after question from randoms that call them. The car no longer belonged to you so to them, you're just someone tying up their time.

A car being “totaled” doesn’t mean anything. An owner can “buy back” their totaled vehicle, and they can be auctioned/sold/etc. Sonits very reasonable that a totaled car would be found again.
It only means repair costs exceed book value.

It only means repair costs exceed book value.
Varies by state as the insurance industry is regulated by each state. In most states, it's not "exceeds book value" either, it's "exceeds 50% of book value". That 50% can vary by state, of course, too.

I had a rebuilt 07 Acura tl I bought in 09 for 15k which was more than I liked paying but it was 15k mileage and the repair was professionally done using computer and laser frame straightening machine so all this scare talk is nonsense. I gave the car to my mother in 2012 cause she was still driving the 93 Mercedes my late father bought her new lol.

Well anyways it's been running great all this time and even got rear ended for 1500 dollars worth of damage in 2020 and the insurance company paid up without even sneezing about it being a rebuilt title. It's low mileage at 85k since she only drives to church doctor appointments and senior discount day at the grocery store every week lol. So clear title TL's with that mileage were only worth about 5 to 6k 2 years ago and the insurance still paid on a rebuilt car.

So please stop spreading misinformation about insurance coverage on these cars cause they treat repairs same as any other car

Last edited:
Back