Checking the Oil

I check my oil and visually inspect under the hood at every fill up at the pumps. After a while you will get to know your vehicle.

I was going to say cold, but it depends on how the mfg wants you to check it. Let's have a nice discussion about how much a given oil expands at a given temperature!

If you really want to go crazy try to figure out the oil level on a dry sump Super Tenere. The check window has a mind of its own.

I agree. After a while you build confidence knowing that your engine doesn’t consume any oil. I check mine a couple of times after I change the oil and every so often in between, especially before longer trips.

Popping my hood at every fuel up is to check a lot more than just oil. For myself it's a good habit. I'm always on the lookout for something that needs attention on my vehicles. It's just how I was brought up. It's an oddity that I'm guilty of. I look like an out of place weirdo checking my vehicle at the pumps. I also ground myself to vehicle before pumping and control the flow of fuel.

As any of us know a mechanical failure can happen at anytime regardless of the miles or hours. By being vigilant it brings the odds ay down by repairing on the cheap rather than an expensive fix down the road.

Popping my hood at every fuel up is to check a lot more than just oil. For myself it's a good habit. I'm always on the lookout for something that needs attention on my vehicles. It's just how I was brought up. It's an oddity that I'm guilty of. I look like an out of place weirdo checking my vehicle at the pumps. I also ground myself to vehicle before pumping and control the flow of fuel.

As any of us know a mechanical failure can happen at anytime regardless of the miles or hours. By being vigilant it brings the odds ay down by repairing on the cheap rather than an expensive fix down the road.

If I check mine it’s at home. Gasoline stations are not safe around here.

If I check mine it’s at home. Gasoline stations are not safe around here.
I can't blame you there. As always there are exceptions. And quite honestly that is a good tip. I cannot be argued while my head is stuffed under the hood I'm no longer aware of my surroundings. Now you have given me something to think about!!

I check mine cold.

I do check mine hot when buying gas when I'm on a long road trip, but thats mostly just for my peace of mind to make sure there's oil in it before I get back on the highway.

Back