Checked your ride for sludge lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It should have occurred to many of us that this was a gallery of neglected engines.

RELATED, UNREQUESTED ANECDOTE: I offered to check a lady's oil after hearing her engine ticking loudly in a Walmart parking lot in Ticonderoga, NY.
I pulled the dipstick and it broke off at the top of the tube. The tube was solidified rust with a dipstick's remains running down its middle.

THAT'S NEGLECT. Kira

Once/year I pull the valve cover on my VW, but it is well known that my model can and does eat camshafts. No sludge.

No plans to pull covers on my other vehicles.

I need to pull the pan off of my Cherokee to replace the RMS, pan gasket and check for cracked/broken piston skirts. Removing the front axle and exhaust manifold ... not fun. So I'm not going to do that now.

Would be interesting to see how clean the oil pan is on a vehicle I bought at almost 100K.

Looks clean underneath the VC.

Originally Posted By: Kira
It should have occurred to many of us that this was a gallery of neglected engines.

RELATED, UNREQUESTED ANECDOTE: I offered to check a lady's oil after hearing her engine ticking loudly in a Walmart parking lot in Ticonderoga, NY.
I pulled the dipstick and it broke off at the top of the tube. The tube was solidified rust with a dipstick's remains running down its middle.

THAT'S NEGLECT. Kira

No good deed goes unpunished...
laugh.gif

I believe that the sludge in my step-sons 96 Dodge 3.9 keeps it together lol

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I need to pull the pan off of my Cherokee to replace the RMS, pan gasket and check for cracked/broken piston skirts.

What are you going to do if you find cracked/broken skirts? Run 'till she blows?

Originally Posted By: supton
I need to pull the pan off of my Cherokee to replace the RMS, pan gasket and check for cracked/broken piston skirts.

What are you going to do if you find cracked/broken skirts? Run 'till she blows?

He's pretty unlikely to find anything of that nature, it's not a terribly common problem.

As far as sludge, I had the heads off my Jeep over the weekend, still has crosshatching in the bores and not a spec of sludge (and minimal varnish) inside at just shy of 175k miles.

Yup. I don't put many miles on it, so it'll probably outlast the body here in NY anyway.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin

He's pretty unlikely to find anything of that nature, it's not a terribly common problem.

As far as sludge, I had the heads off my Jeep over the weekend, still has crosshatching in the bores and not a spec of sludge (and minimal varnish) inside at just shy of 175k miles.

Next time you're passing through my neck of the woods, you can listen to my engine. Something's a chatterin' :p . Mainly, I need to replace the RMS and pan gasket. It's getting to the point where my Jeep is in a constant state of smoking from all of the oil dripping.

I did the rear main and valve cover gasket on my jeep a few weeks ago. 4.0 I6

Oil pan was clean as a whistle, so was the top end. Some varnish here and there but that's it. Been a good motor to me, despite the previous owners doing some sketchy work to it. Odometer said 25k when I purchased the car, but truth be told nothing on the car looks like 25k. Not as far as wear goes

Oh well. All the problem areas have been repaired anyway. Purrs like a kitten with some t6 and 4k OCIs

Those engines must have been let go for years. I only change only every 6 to 9 months without any special oil and I don't get any sludge buildup. Some people just don't do any maintenance.

Originally Posted By: JDW
I believe that the sludge in my step-sons 96 Dodge 3.9 keeps it together lol
You may have something there, sometimes cleaning an old engine out causes many more problems,imho

I need to pull the pan off of my Cherokee to replace the RMS, pan gasket and check for cracked/broken piston skirts. Removing the front axle and exhaust manifold ... not fun. So I'm not going to do that now.

Would be interesting to see how clean the oil pan is on a vehicle I bought at almost 100K.

Looks clean underneath the VC.
I did the RMS on my grandpa's 96' Cherokee last January. I would never do it again, the pan hits the axle when trying to take it off and you have to pull and twist and turn every which way. I left the axle on but what made it easier was jacking it up on the right side (not by the axle, by the body at the "frame rails") this made it just right. It still drips BTW lol. It was also beautifully clean under there. Looked like it was brand new.

You dont need to pull the front axle from a 2000, or any year Cherokee to remove the oil pan. Jack the Body up and let the front axle droop will provide enough clearance, just did this couple weeks ago on a 2001 4x4 Cherokee. You dont have to remove any of the exhaust either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back