Check your local Wal-Mart !

Status
Not open for further replies.
The people working at the walmarts around here don't really fit the definition of "employable" by just about every business standard you can think if. I think they are providing an opportunity to people that could never get a job anywhere else.
There are handicapped kids working as cart jockies, handicapped greeters, seniors working the floors. People that use to be liabilities for their families or the state are now earning an income. I don't see anything wrong with that part of Walmart.
Most of the merchandise they sell is pretty poor quality, which leave alot of room for other retailers to cash in. I've never seen a good deal on electronics as Walmart when compared to BB or FS for instance. And sure you can get a dozen socks for $3, but they shink when you wash them and they will have holes within a month :)

Originally Posted By: ryland
I buy my oil from a local auto parts store that is slightly more expensive than walmart when it comes to the qt bottles but absolutely cant touch the price walmart has when you compare to the 5 qt jugs. I feel just fine not having to fight the crowds at walmart or hear the cashiers complain back and forth about vacation time, brake times, how so and so is lazy ect. They know more about cars and the products they carry at the auto parts store I go to and they are very friendly so I love it. I suggest that you all give a local business a chance.

+1000 I do too. However, for many, good local stores do not exist. Even in as dense an area as I live, finding multiple is tough...

Originally Posted By: MBCLK
Originally Posted By: bretfraz
Originally Posted By: Scuderia
All I know is that when I go to Wal-Mart I see a lot of people with jobs, including senior citizens and people with disabilities. Funny how I don't see the same proportion of workers in other stores. Why don't you try making your argument of how Wal-Mart is bad to the single mom, with 3 kids struggling to make the rent, greeting you at the door next time. Let's see how that goes. Tell her to quit because mom and pop need her money more.

Oh the Walmart in my town is right next to a Lowes, that's next to a Subway, that's next to some small clothing stores, that are next to a Staples, that is across from a Gamestop, that's a few blocks away from a Target, that's next to a Food4Less, etc. and all of these stores always seem to have good clientele. It's a feaking PITA to get into the parking lot without running over some stupid teenager talking on the phone holding a bunch of bags.

well, the mom with the 3 kids is the "mom" i was talking about and the senior citizen is the "pop". they closed their "mom and pop stores" so now they work at walmart.

The difference is your neighborhood "mom & pop" store could only employ a handful of people, and maybe only one or two single moms with 3 kids.

The modern Walmart employs 200+ people, so a lot single moms and senior citizens can have jobs. And its not like the old family store was paying great wages and benefits, or providing career growth opportunities.

ur thinking only one level deep...think of the effect on a more wider scale..think of how products are moved...how distributors and suppliers are affected..how the wholesale market is affected....how it affects manufacturer's prices...walmart and costcos can control all of this when there are no other businesses in the economy etc...also how this affects foreign trade...labor unions....it will also affect wages since there are no other competitors to offer the same salary level...walmart says, "let's just pay that senior citizen $5/hour. we can do that cuz he has no choice but to work here"
etc etc etc

Right. "Cost efficiency" is induced because labor costs via jobs are reduced. By utilizing a proprietary infrastructure to do all required tasks, the number of supporting roles drops.

Now, maybe WM hires Union, I don't know... but what i see around here is the Union laborer drives into wal-mart with a "buy union made" sticker on his non-union built toyota pickup truck, buys a good bunch of made in china junk to save $5, and then drives home, spouting off how bad of a deal he gets, and how America isn't working for him...

Well, the wal-mart effect, and supporting them to save $5 is much of the cause. Sure, they create 200 jobs in one location, and maybe flock 100 more by bringing in neighboring businesses... but they destroyed 400 jobs in the process. Who is going to buy their widgets when all the floors drop out? And, while folks may still go to walmart to buy necessities, the two restaurants that opened up in the shopping center are going to have a far worse fate when folks stop buying things because they don't have work and pay.

The model doesnt work indefinitely.

Originally Posted By: Hitzy
The people working at the walmarts around here don't really fit the definition of "employable" by just about every business standard you can think if. I think they are providing an opportunity to people that could never get a job anywhere else.
There are handicapped kids working as cart jockies, handicapped greeters, seniors working the floors. People that use to be liabilities for their families or the state are now earning an income. I don't see anything wrong with that part of Walmart.

+1, great point. They do seem to make an effort to hire "unhireable" folks, but then it may well be a strategy putting them in front for the world to see, while other companies/businesses use them for backroom functions. I have to guess that some of it is a strategy/ ploy.

And a major problem that I see is that a larger portion of the population is, in muy consideration, "unemployable". Even with college drgrees abounding, you have sloppy dress, excessive, ugly tattoos, piercings (yes, body "art" is something that people ABSOLUTELY will judge against), extremely poor use of language, poor overall personal skills/customer service, excessive distraction via celphones/texting, lethargic people that come across as lazy and bothered by having to help, etc.

And it is not just at wal-mart.

Last edited:
I will shop at Wal-Mart more if only to irritate those people who feel it is their ethical duty to hijack threads about Wal-Mart.

And not that I feel the need to justify myself, but since we're so far off topic here:
I prefer to avoid "local [read: CHAIN] auto shops" because 9/10ths of the employees there may very well be brain damaged. I bought a bottle of Seafoam at a "Local Shop" the other day and the grown man behind the counter said, "Why don't you buy this Lucas instead - It's way better." I asked him how he could say that without even knowing how it was going to be used. What I should have asked was how he reached the conclusion that it was "way" better. What an idiot. I don't want to pay more to hear admonishments from the mind of a child. (NAPA being the exception here, but they're high as a kite and never have what I need, anyway.)

But, hey... If that's what you prefer to pay extra for, then buddy that's your decision and I salute you for it. Do what you feel comfortable with and let others do the same.

You go right ahead and do that... Some people danced as the titanic was sinking...

I agree that many "local" shops that are chains hire true idiots. The non-chain shops seem to have a tad bit better quality control, but sometimes not much - that is where competition comes in.

I do have real fears of Wal-Mart's pricing schemes inducing quality reductions for our beloved motor oils. Just the other day, we were in a bind (screw in a tire), and needed an air pump. I severely cut my toe because the low-quality air pump (no-name wal-mart pump) exploded as I pumped the tire. And this was an automotive-duty design pump.

Well, you make a point about quality. However, the last few products I got from an auto store were equally poor quality. It's not that Wal-Mart is driving quality reduction, it's the shopper. Regardless of whether it's a bottle of oil or a tire pump or anything else, most people will buy the cheaper item. As far as the pricing scheme goes, many smart companies that are concerned about quality of product and brand image have stayed away from Wal-Mart. Look at Snapper. Many good pocketknife companies used to be U.S. made, however people want a less expensive product. The companies went to china or pakistan. Sales are up, but knife quality is down. Wal-Mart had nothing to do with it. This is simply the way things are headed at the moment. No amount of bailing will raise this Titanic.

Originally Posted By: hal
i despise walmart. i only go there if i can't find something elsewhere. what walmart is doing to the country and probably the world is terrible and they should not be supported if at all possible. there have been a couple times where i have caved on oil bargains at walmart, but 99% of the time i don't mind spending $1-2 more for oil at a parts store.

i agree with u on this. the business concept of walmarts and costcos started a long time ago when these "super discount" stores opened. when these walmarts and costcos opened a long time ago...they really took over the market by offering products at very huge discounts. what did this do? well, the mom and pop stores closed. they eliminated the competition. so now that the walmarts and costcos control the market they can now boost their prices because you have no other choice but to shop at walmarts or costcos. a long time ago..walmarts and costcos didnt have groceries. now u can grocery shop at walmarts and costcos. i do admit that i do shop at walmart. but i only go there for motor oil. i do shop at costco as well. but i only go there when i need something in bulk. it's cheap now but in the long run it will cost more. when prices start to creep up..you only have yourself to blame. just my thoughts...

My ex wife worked at Costco, and the diffence between costco and walmart (at least 8 years ago) was that Costco paid its workers a decent living wage. In fact, I couldn't believe what she got paid and costco workers were not unionized.

I got off topic too. My apologies.

I bought 5 boxes of PP last year at my local Canadian Walmart. $16.99 bought a box with 5 qts of PP plus a bottle of liquid Rain-X wax.

Best deal in Canada I've ever seen.

Walmart sells American made oil at kickbutt prices. Im sure they bought the oil at a price from the companies at some sort of profit agreed on. Go buy it from wal-mart, its ok, I wont look. Keep checking back every few days, they are really moving things around at my stores. I cant afford to buy it anymore! Im already set for a year with my edge, so now i feel like being a do-gooder for my brother and gf's dad.

I have seen Castrol Edge in my local Wal-Mart for $35 for a 5 quart jug. Seems to be selling well in my area, as only 2 5W30 and 1 10W30 were left on the shelf. [...] I bet quite a few German car owners are buying this stuff up.

Are they really? It doesn't meet any VW, BMW, MB specs. Why would they be buying it?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I have seen Castrol Edge in my local Wal-Mart for $35 for a 5 quart jug. Seems to be selling well in my area, as only 2 5W30 and 1 10W30 were left on the shelf. [...] I bet quite a few German car owners are buying this stuff up.

Are they really? It doesn't meet any VW, BMW, MB specs. Why would they be buying it?

Because the TV said to, of course. It's the best. It's what engines crave!

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Because the TV said to, of course. It's the best. It's what engines crave!

Heh... I suppose. I think my engine craves a supercharger...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: bretfraz
All I know is that when I go to Wal-Mart I see a lot of people with jobs, including senior citizens and people with disabilities. Funny how I don't see the same proportion of workers in other stores. Why don't you try making your argument of how Wal-Mart is bad to the single mom, with 3 kids struggling to make the rent, greeting you at the door next time. Let's see how that goes. Tell her to quit because mom and pop need her money more.

Oh the Walmart in my town is right next to a Lowes, that's next to a Subway, that's next to some small clothing stores, that are next to a Staples, that is across from a Gamestop, that's a few blocks away from a Target, that's next to a Food4Less, etc. and all of these stores always seem to have good clientele. It's a feaking PITA to get into the parking lot without running over some stupid teenager talking on the phone holding a bunch of bags.

well, the mom with the 3 kids is the "mom" i was talking about and the senior citizen is the "pop". they closed their "mom and pop stores" so now they work at walmart.

The difference is your neighborhood "mom & pop" store could only employ a handful of people, and maybe only one or two single moms with 3 kids.

The modern Walmart employs 200+ people, so a lot single moms and senior citizens can have jobs. And its not like the old family store was paying great wages and benefits, or providing career growth opportunities.

ur thinking only one level deep...think of the effect on a more wider scale..think of how products are moved...how distributors and suppliers are affected..how the wholesale market is affected....how it affects manufacturer's prices...walmart and costcos can control all of this when there are no other businesses in the economy etc...also how this affects foreign trade...labor unions....it will also affect wages since there are no other competitors to offer the same salary level...walmart says, "let's just pay that senior citizen $5/hour. we can do that cuz he has no choice but to work here"
etc etc etc

Right. "Cost efficiency" is induced because labor costs via jobs are reduced. By utilizing a proprietary infrastructure to do all required tasks, the number of supporting roles drops.

Now, maybe WM hires Union, I don't know... but what i see around here is the Union laborer drives into wal-mart with a "buy union made" sticker on his non-union built toyota pickup truck, buys a good bunch of made in china junk to save $5, and then drives home, spouting off how bad of a deal he gets, and how America isn't working for him...

Well, the wal-mart effect, and supporting them to save $5 is much of the cause. Sure, they create 200 jobs in one location, and maybe flock 100 more by bringing in neighboring businesses... but they destroyed 400 jobs in the process. Who is going to buy their widgets when all the floors drop out? And, while folks may still go to walmart to buy necessities, the two restaurants that opened up in the shopping center are going to have a far worse fate when folks stop buying things because they don't have work and pay.

The model doesnt work indefinitely.

The "made in china" issue is not a Walmart problem......it's a cheaper labor problem. I lose my mind when I see "made in china" stuff for sale at "made in America" prices. At least Walmart sells cheap junk for cheap prices.
Microsoft Xbox360 for example....made in China, but you wouldn't know it by the price. Just about every skate shoe is made in China now.....Vans/DC Shoe/Etnies/Emerica etc. etc. and they still want $100 for them here.....while Zellars/Walmart sell Airwalks etc also made in China, pretty much the same piece of [censored] shoe, for $20.
There are several big name TV makes that are now made in china, but with the same price tag they had before.....check it out at BB or FS.

Everyone thinks that Walmart is only successful and sells at low prices because they are large. Certainly there are advantages to being large, but Walmart was not always large. They got to be large by doing a lot of things better than other stores that were much bigger than them at one time (Sears, Penny's, Woolworth's, K-mart, etc, etc).

A lot of the reasons why the others failed and why Walmart prospered are the same reasons why the big 3 automakers are struggling. They had great big corporate office buildings in big cities and had a lot of over-head costs. They were not innovative in terms of technology like Walmart has been.

I actually buy a lot of my stuff on the Internet (but obviously not motor oil). The mom-and-pop shops have been hurt by the Internet in addition to the big box retailers. If it wasn't Walmart, it would be someone else. It simply makes no sense for a retailer to be able to by goods from a distributor and sell them at a 40-50% gross profit margin. That was just a ridiculously inefficient way to get goods from manufacturers to customers. Those days are gone, and good riddance.

daman-You are correct. This thread slid off topic faster than OJ's appeal team slid into court. I was just trying to pass on some money saving info. But I guess people need to vent during these hard economic times. And I,like many others,am tired of paying hard earned coin for inferior products.

ooops...im sorry if i contributed in the topic change. sorry about that. someone mentioned Fedco. man whoever u are...u are old like me

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hitzy

Microsoft Xbox360 for example....made in China, but you wouldn't know it by the price.

There are several big name TV makes that are now made in china, but with the same price tag they had before.....check it out at BB or FS.

These are only assemble in China only. Many of the core components are still made in other more expensive areas like Japan, Taiwan, U.S., and Europe or R&D in these places.

For electronics, or the semiconductor chips in general, the variable cost (raw material, labor, equipment time, yield loss, etc) are only 50% or less. The remaining portion is the R&D and administrative expenses. Out of even the raw material and equipment time, a huge portion of them are still from Japan, Europe, and U.S., and that's where the big money is at.

Your MS Windows/Office CD/DVD and the instruction manual are probably printed and pressed in China, but that's only $1 or so out of the $100-200 they charge you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back